Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 48,513 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me what it is like to live in Tiburon? We are relocating to the bay area and exploring various areas in the east bay (Alamo/Lamorinda) and now considering Marin. My wife found a house in Tiburon online. We are not familiar with the area, but have heard a variety of things about Marin, some good, some not so good depending on your point of view. I can say my family is not particularly liberal or conservative...just middle of the road. A close family friend in Malibu sent 1 kid to college in NCal, and visited often. He told us Marin is the best place to live in the bay area, and many successful people live there.

We do like the city lifestyle, but don't want to live there with kids. We are currently living near the water in LA, and love this lifestyle, but still close to great shopping and dining. It looks like Tiburon is the same way.

We have a toddler. Is Tiburon a good place to raise children? It looks absolutely breathtakingly beautiful from photos. Can someone comment specifically on the communities right on the bay with docks? I think it is called Paradise Cay?

Oh...are there more jewish people in Marin or the Contra Costa areas?

Any info would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,916 times
Tib has some fans, sort of like LA's PV Peninsula or NwptCoast
Tib has lots of middle-income folks who work in SF's FinDt or are retired
Most major financiers who work in FinDt live in either PacHts or Soma towers (if no kids) or in PaloAlto area suburbs
Many dislike Marin/EBay as distant from economic epicenters of SV (if change jobs or have mtgs or flts); far from good pvt schools.....in a quake zone strategically risky to depend upon bridges&tunnels...not many competent physicians/hosps in N/EBay
Many affluent Jews (even those not conservative and <40yo) prefer to reside in Atherton over SF's PacHts....and certainly over Tib/Orinda....Tib/Orinda are fairly analogous to how LA Jews often view NewportCoast vs Brentwood/BH or Westside generally

Old 02-24-2010, 11:49 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Most major financiers who work in FinDt live in either PacHts or Soma towers (if no kids) or in PaloAlto area suburbs
Many dislike Marin/EBay as distant from economic epicenters of SV (if change jobs or have mtgs or flts); far from good pvt schools.....in a quake zone strategically risky to depend upon bridges&tunnels...not many competent physicians/hosps in N/EBay
Many affluent Jews (even those not conservative and <40yo) prefer to reside in Atherton over SF's PacHts....and certainly over Tib/Orinda....Tib/Orinda are fairly analogous to how LA Jews often view NewportCoast vs Brentwood/BH or Westside generally
Do you have some kind of allergy to vowels and multi-syllable location names, or do you just think it makes you sound hip to abbreviate everything as though your keyboard is missing certain letters?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Do you have some kind of allergy to vowels and multi-syllable location names, or do you just think it makes you sound hip to abbreviate everything as though your keyboard is missing certain letters?
You need to get out of that "commercial wasteland" on the peninsula and into the "economic epicenters" of Silicon Valley, Pacific Heights, West Palm Beach, Marthas Vineyard, etc. where the titans of high tech, financial masters of the universe and the rainmakers rule. Don't be so provincial

And I only abbreviated "etc." and "tech"

Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
you need to get out of that "commercial wasteland" on the peninsula and into the "economic epicenters" of silicon valley, pacific heights, west palm beach, marthas vineyard, etc. Where the titans of high tech, financial masters of the universe and the rainmakers rule. Don't be so provincial :d

and i only abbreviated "etc." and "tech"
Lol.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:51 PM

126 posts, read 161,451 times
Quote:
I'm Convinced you're some sort of centrally located robot or a real estate agent from Silicon Valley. I'm leaning more towards out of state robot.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:07 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times
Quote:

I grew up in Marin county but I now live in Sonoma. I am a progressive so I am some kind of right wing neonazi but I just have to say that I am so sick of all of these Jews from LA who have moved into Marin. I am not a racist and am tolerant of other religions but they are just some of the most materialistic pushy people I have ever come across. I wish they would all move back to LA, NY, or Isreal. I read some were that Marin now has the highest percentage of Jews in California Counties.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM

37 posts, read 97,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltobay View Post
Can someone please tell me what it is like to live in Tiburon? We are relocating to the bay area and exploring various areas in the east bay (Alamo/Lamorinda) and now considering Marin. My wife found a house in Tiburon online. We are not familiar with the area, but have heard a variety of things about Marin, some good, some not so good depending on your point of view. I can say my family is not particularly liberal or conservative...just middle of the road. A close family friend in Malibu sent 1 kid to college in NCal, and visited often. He told us Marin is the best place to live in the bay area, and many successful people live there.

We do like the city lifestyle, but don't want to live there with kids. We are currently living near the water in LA, and love this lifestyle, but still close to great shopping and dining. It looks like Tiburon is the same way.

We have a toddler. Is Tiburon a good place to raise children? It looks absolutely breathtakingly beautiful from photos. Can someone comment specifically on the communities right on the bay with docks? I think it is called Paradise Cay?

Oh...are there more jewish people in Marin or the Contra Costa areas?

Any info would be helpful.

Succcessful people live throughout the Bay Area, not just in Tiburon. Just saying.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 AM

70 posts, read 375,200 times
We just moved here to Tiburon. I moved here for the views and the schools. I have 1, 3 and 5 year old sons. The Reed school district is one fo the best in the state and I believe 1 2 or 3 in the San Francisco Bay area. If you are looking for private schools there are also enough good ones nearby, like Marin Country Day and Mt. Tamalpais.

There are amazing views of the bay from all parts of Tiburon and Belvedere. Not just Bay views as those can be had in many places but pretty Bay views. No industrial views or just boring views of the bay, they views are decorated with the San Francisco skyline, the Golden Gate Bridge, Angel Island, Belvedere Island or one or two of the Marinas. There is a ferry that comes and goes throughout the day making you still feel connected and adding to the rhythm of the place.

The people are pleasant, not snooty or stuckup, but friendly, happy and interesting. Mostly liberal, (liberal and wealthy not a common combo) but no one run around spouting politics like Washington DC where I am from originally. I have been told more and more people with Children are moving here for the schools. They have a private fund raising drive for the public schools every year, over $1.3 million this year I think. My son loves kindergarten and he is really reading now, so quickly, I am impressed!

One of the great things of living in the Marin is the proximity to other things, like downtown San Francisco, only 20-25 minutes MAX! Or the Wine country, Napa and Sonoma. I go there for lunch with my wife as I work from home and can do things like this.

One thing to note is the home prices. Be prepared to spend. You can go to greathomes.org and look under Marin and then check off Tiburon and Belvedere to get an idea.

Finally regarding Paradise Cay, well, there are a lot of families there. I personally do not like it because it has the wrong side of the peninsula view from what I described above. Also, most homes are pretty close to their neighbor and only have a view of the cay docks, etc. of their neighbor. I think the land is a little less than I want for my 3 boys to run around. They are better values and the homes are newer and there are so many kids there, but it is a really new part of Tiburon and on the back side of the peninsula and not really part of the town feeling. Not to far from the highway, that drive you will get use to fast too. I am still considering for our kids, but I would want a Bay view and one of the larger lots. Nice to have a dock for sure and it really isn't that far from the schools or the town. I feel it is more Corte Madera area than Tiburon though, but it really isn't that bad at all. Definitely more affordable and an alternative to what is affordable and of comparable value on the other side of the peninsula.

As for Jewish people, I know there is one in my son's class and loads of others that I have met at the same school. The majority of the people here may be slight WASPy but perhaps without the P as most ppl here are not that religious at all, and they are all very tolerant and open and striving for diversity.

South Bay seems extremely Asian which is fine for me as my wife is from Asia and I was just living there for a long time, however, I prefer the values (Open space not so many strip malls and franchise, e.g. no Walmarts anywhere up here) and the lifestyle (hiking, water views, sailing, wine country, gorgeous quaint Marin small towns, like Pt Reyes) of the North Bay. North Bay is also closer to San Francisco than just about anywhere with little traffic in and out of the city across the Golden Gate most all of the time.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:17 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
Marin is my favorite place in the country. Right now, we live in the East Bay and are dying to move to Marin once the value of our real estate bounces back and we can sell! My husband is Jewish but we aren't too active in schul or other community events. However, I can tell you that there are enough synagogues in the Lamorinda area (conservative and reform) where you could find a good fit. I'm not aware of a large Jewish population in Marin, but Marin itself has a very small population. You can easily live in Tiburon and get involved with the JCC in San Francisco, which is prob a 20 minute drive, and that place is gigantic and has tons of stuff going on.

Tiburon has that great laid back, resorty bayside feel, is close to other cool little towns for weekend strolls (Mill Valley, Sausalito) and close to your major shopping malls in Corte Madera (Nordstrom, Cheesecake Factory, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland