Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:09 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times

Advertisements

It always gave me quite a chuckle when I ordered Tea down south, they asked me if I wanted Sweet Tea or UNsweet Tea. What????????? Tea is naturally unsweet. If you want it sweet you have to add sugar. When I was feeling a bit mischievous, I'd just repeat to the waitress, "I want tea" and play dumb as to sweet or unsweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,631 times
I believe that tea used in that context refers to the drink, not the plant. It would be like just repeating "coffee" when the waitress asks you if you want milk or creamer.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
I believe that tea used in that context refers to the drink, not the plant. It would be like just repeating "coffee" when the waitress asks you if you want milk or creamer.
LOL If I want coffee, I order coffee. If I wanted it with something extra, I'd specify what extras I wanted.

I do love the cultural differences though.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:04 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
LOL If I want coffee, I order coffee. If I wanted it with something extra, I'd specify what extras I wanted.
True, but in the South it's assumed that "tea" refers to 1)the drink not the plant and 2)sweet tea as opposed to unsweet tea, since most people drink sweet tea.

If I asked for tea in the UK I'd get something completely different because in their culture the word tea means something different than what it does in the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I do love the cultural differences though.
Can you elaborate?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
True, but in the South it's assumed that "tea" refers to 1)the drink not the plant and 2)sweet tea as opposed to unsweet tea, since most people drink sweet tea.

If I asked for tea in the UK I'd get something completely different because in their culture the word tea means something different than what it does in the South.

Can you elaborate?
Sure, the South has their way of doing it and out West we have our way. no right or wrong, just different.

So when I order coffee, am I referring to the drink or the plant?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 PM

25 posts, read 47,040 times
Quote:
Katie, you must not have ever been to TN before. Get ready for a culture shock! What part of Tn will you be moving to?

It is very easy to find tea here. Oddly enough Mexican restaurants usually have pretty good tea though I've never thought of it as a Mexican drink.

And to the person that asked about making it: it's simple. Take some tea bags, 2 of the large ones or 3 to 4 of the small ones and put them in a coffee maker. Fill the coffee pot most of the way full just like you were making coffee and pour it into the back of the coffee maker. When it's done put 2 cups of sugar and the tea into a gallon pitcher and stir. Then fill the gallon pitcher up with water and you're done!

That was the easy way. I've seen old people boil tea bags on the stove and let them seep for awhile, but that's not a method I'd reccommend for beginners!
Hi!
I am moving to the Nashville area probably...and yes - I have never been there!
We are going to take a trip soon...and I am prepared for a culture shock. Not sure what exactly it will entail...but I am ready and open to something new!

I do make sweet tea at home - it's my fave...but it is nice to go out and order tea and get it sweetened already every once and awhile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland