Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 10,281 times

Advertisements

Please help. Returning to Sonoma Co. after 30+ years away & unfamiliar w/ neighborhoods. I'm an urban woman, love Old Towns & downtowns, serious walker, don't own a car. Need place in safe hood night & day, on/near bus line. How's downtown/Railroad Square area? I'm over 55 - is Oakmont still good? What about Montgomery Village?

What areas of Petaluma are pleasant? Again, not a burbs person so must be fairly close to town.

Sebastopol thoughts?

THANKS!

Last edited by redbird52; 02-27-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 10:25 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
My inlaws have friends that are in Oakmont and they love it. It's kind of removed, and if you haven't been back to Santa Rosa in 30 years you are going to be shocked at the sheer size of it, with pockets of great, good, and not so good in terms of safety.

I wonder though, how easy is it to live there without a car though?

I vote for Petaluma since it has grown really well in the past 30 years and has many houaing options that would work for you.
Historic, safe, walkable, bus transit, sounds much more like West Petaluma than Santa Rosa.
For P-town info start here:

Petaluma Real Estate, Sonoma County Homes for Sale California CA MLS

The Theatre District in Petaluma, CA (A Basin Street Properties Project)

good luck!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Thanks, Bella. I dipped into a lot of posts re: Petaluma and I think you are right; it would suit me more than SR. Thanks also for the "west" tip & the website links. Oddly enough, I lived in the downtown hotel there for a few months back in '72 - at the time, there was a GREAT coffee shop near there, but there was really nothing much going on so I left. Sounds like things have changed so it'd fit me pretty well now.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 AM

You lived at the Hotel Petaluma on Washington? I love that building....maybe it's because the builder of my old home was the same guy who built that hotel!?!
I can't imagine how incredibly quiet Petaluma must've been back then....wow.

here's some more info:

Aqus Cafe

Home - Petaluma Downtown Association

ibuypetaluma home

The Mystic Theatre

Petaluma Craft Mafia

Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 AM

99 posts, read 380,506 times
I would look seriously at Sebastopol. If you could find something fairly close to town they have everything you need right there and its a great walking area.

Petaluma might be ok but it seems to me that without a car shopping and such might be somewhat difficult as things are a bit more spread out there.

I think I would opt out of the downtown/railroad square area. Lots of little punks hanging around there.

I have a few friends that either live or have lived at Oakmont. The ones taht did live there moved out as they felt they were still too young. One was 61 and the other about 57. Have another friend that currently lives there because her husband wanted to. I asked her the other day if she would like it if she were single. Her answer was a very quick solid no. She is 64.

I do have to agree that living in Sonoma County without a car is not going to be easy. They have not built up the areas for that type of living. Good luck

Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 AM

Thanks, people, for the thoughts & tips. I've figured out how to live w/out a car in Albuquerque, which has a terrible bus system & a very cold winter & is spread out, so I figure how much worse could NorCal be - at least the buses run fairly comprehensively & (I assume) on time! Seems the cabs run okay in Sonoma too - not always the case here. Also, I ride a bike.

I'm ruling out Santa Rosa due to your comments - very helpful. When I left the area in the '70s it was all pretty small, so looking forward to more of interest. It's going to be great to come back after my long struggles in the beautiful but challenging, open & raw-exposed terrain that is New Mexico.

Last edited by redbird52; 03-03-2010 at 06:59 AM..

Old 03-04-2010, 02:43 PM

137 posts, read 429,143 times
Petaluma looks very nice. What would the average commute be to downtown San Francisco during normal business hours? 1.5 hours?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 PM

Another great place for walking and biking and various things to do with a small town feel would be Sonoma (town of). Used to live there and loved it. Used to have some fairly decent rentals though that was 10 or so years ago. Haven't checked lately.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle06 View Post
Petaluma looks very nice. What would the average commute be to downtown San Francisco during normal business hours? 1.5 hours?
If you are talking about driving I always figure about 1.5 hours just due to the traffic. But even in heavy traffic as long as it keeps moving steadily you can do it in an hour.

There is a commute bus that I would bet takes about an hour - make sure you get the express bus though!!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing60 View Post
If you are talking about driving I always figure about 1.5 hours just due to the traffic. But even in heavy traffic as long as it keeps moving steadily you can do it in an hour.

There is a commute bus that I would bet takes about an hour - make sure you get the express bus though!!

Not quite. 1/2 your time will be spent getting to and over the GG Bridge, (which is quite possible the ugliest commute ever ) Yes, I'm kidding....and the other half of your time will be traversing through the city streets.
I have commuted in the past year in the AM from Petaluma to SF (specifically Divis. and Fulton) not downtown, and i've done it repeatedly 35 minutes door to door.
Add to the downtown, and depending where you are going (and parking) it can be adding the extra half hour though.
Getting TO Sf is the easy part, it's getting THROUGH the city to points SOMA and downtown etc, that add the extra time.

My friends husband takes the express bus everyday, and he says it takes an hour and a half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland