Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 20,437 times

Advertisements

We have been looking in San Mateo, Redwood City, Fremont and Union City... but we are looking for a safe area within a reasonable budget (under 2000/month 2 bdr). Any ideas?? How is the commute from these areas? Would you suggest my husband taking the Bart or CalTrain if he works in San Fran? We are searching for an apartment from Missouri, but have jobs in Bay area starting next month, just no place to live... please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 06:20 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,190 times
Where does/will he work in San Francisco? If on/near Market Street, then BART is an option. Caltrain is also feasible but requires an additional bus ride or 30 minute walk to get to the financial district.

BART doesn't extend very far down the peninsula, though; it ends in Millbrae. So if you live south of there and commute to SF, it's either Caltrain + walk or Caltrain + transfer to BART.

For best Caltrain commute speed/flexibility, try to live close to an express station, e.g. Mountain View or Palo Alto. Commuting from either of these to Sunnyvale by car isn't bad.

Fremont or Union City would be a long haul to both SF and Sunnyvale, well worth avoiding unless you prefer the east bay for some reason. If you want something equidistant between the SF and Sunnyvale then San Mateo is a much better choice; Redwood City wouldn't be bad either. $2k rent for a 2br should be achievable in all of the above-listed cities, except possibly Palo Alto.

Regarding specific commute times, I'm sure you can check the Caltrain and BART schedules online as easily as I can. Driving times to Sunnyvale depend on when exactly you are on the road and where in Sunnyvale, but roughly speaking Mountain View to Sunnyvale is about 15 minutes (use Central Expressway instead of 101 during rush hour if you can); Palo Alto closer to 30 if not near 101; Redwood City also about 30; San Mateo 35-40. Add 15-20 minutes if right in the middle of rush hour. Not sure about Fremont/Union City as I've never tried it during commute hours, but from everything I've heard, 880 is miserable.

Last edited by jbunniii; 02-28-2010 at 06:28 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 08:50 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
In addition to what the poster above said, all of which is excellent info, Sunnyvale itself also has an express stop on the way to San Francisco, which is in the city's downtown area around Mathilda/Evelyn. Unfortunately, the privately-financed plan to rebuild the area with new housing and a shopping center has gone into receivership, but there are still lots of condos and rentals in the immediate area which may be to your liking.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:41 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,792 times
If your commuting by car I'd chose the bay facing side of the peninsula not including San Francisco itself.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 AM

165 posts, read 596,164 times
Yeah it all depends on how you plan to commute. I would stay on the peninsula side though because then you'll save on toll (toll is increasing very soon) and overall traveling expenses.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
For the price and commute time, I think you need to concentrate on San Mateo, San Carlos and Redwood City. San Mateo will probably be the midpoint for both of you. My wife and I have done these exact commutes from RWC and it is pretty stress free.

Rule of thumb: Stay away from bridges, unless you absolutely have to commute over one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland