Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 03:09 PM

40 posts, read 91,369 times

Advertisements

I have 2 days to "sell" the idea to my wife (forthcoming visit in 2 weeks) on a move to San Francisco area per a job offer that is at this point, conditional on our visit that will this time include my wife.

So...there is no doubt (I already had an extensive relo visit) we would live in the East Bay in either Pleasanton, San Ramon area (i.e., Danville, etc), or Walnut Creek areas.

The above are the areas we will be visiting so which hotel would be good to stay at accordingly? I dont think we will have time to do much more than house/neighborhood hunt so I dont think staying on the Peninsula is a good move. So are there recommended hotels in the above-mentioned areas that would be a good idea that might be in a nice area etc?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 05:44 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesluopge View Post
I have 2 days to "sell" the idea to my wife (forthcoming visit in 2 weeks) on a move to San Francisco area per a job offer that is at this point, conditional on our visit that will this time include my wife.

So...there is no doubt (I already had an extensive relo visit) we would live in the East Bay in either Pleasanton, San Ramon area (i.e., Danville, etc), or Walnut Creek areas.

The above are the areas we will be visiting so which hotel would be good to stay at accordingly? I dont think we will have time to do much more than house/neighborhood hunt so I dont think staying on the Peninsula is a good move. So are there recommended hotels in the above-mentioned areas that would be a good idea that might be in a nice area etc?

Thanks in advance!
I used to swim at the Marriott in San Ramon and use their hottub spa -- very nice accomodations -- and I've been at their banquet hall for something..... this was years ago, but Marriott's usually are kept up to date....

Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
The Claremont in the Oakland Hills. She'll probably never want to go back home.

The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, california vacations, oakland hotels, oakland accommodations, getting married in san francisco, wedding reception halls california

Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I used to swim at the Marriott in San Ramon and use their hottub spa -- very nice accomodations -- and I've been at their banquet hall for something..... this was years ago, but Marriott's usually are kept up to date....
thanks! i saw that via google after I posted and thats on my list if we stay in San Ramon for sure. Might be good as that area is as close to "home" in its feel which is perhaps a good strategy. The relo tour in Boston last week was a DISASTER! lol...though on the other hand, since it was so awful in comparison to the style she is used to, it may actually come in handy to sell the Bay area which in addition to being beautiful, will have that West Coast feel she has become accustomed to. I have since declined my other offers back East (Boston and Maryland) and am SO happy about that!

Last edited by nesluopge; 03-13-2010 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
thanks! I will add this to the potential list. Actually, its priced very well too I will see what the company is comfortable covering and if the relo folks dont mind driving to Berkeley and if not, as I will have a rental car, would it be pretty easy (i.e., not too much traffic that direction) to drive towards the Walnut Creek/San Ramon area? I honestly have no clue.

I have also since come across Lafayette Park Hotel & Spa | Walnut Creek CA Hotels | California Luxury Resort, Inn as well as "The Rose" in Pleasanton.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:28 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
I will have a rental car, would it be pretty easy (i.e., not too much traffic that direction) to drive towards the Walnut Creek/San Ramon area? I honestly have no clue.
If you just have 2 days don't mess around with the frequent traffic jams in the Caldecott Tunnel and just stay in the Walnut Creek/San Ramon area.

YouTube - Driving Through The Caldecott Tunnel

Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
thanks! I will add this to the potential list. Actually, its priced very well too I will see what the company is comfortable covering and if the relo folks dont mind driving to Berkeley and if not, as I will have a rental car, would it be pretty easy (i.e., not too much traffic that direction) to drive towards the Walnut Creek/San Ramon area? I honestly have no clue.

I have also since come across Lafayette Park Hotel & Spa | Walnut Creek CA Hotels | California Luxury Resort, Inn as well as "The Rose" in Pleasanton.
The Caldecott Tunnels are not fun on the weekend..... so the Lafayette Park might be a good place, too. It's very nice, there. I love Lafayette. Small town, great shops. Great breakfast diner called Millies.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:42 PM

thanks to all! did not even consider such things like the tunnel mentioned. We will be there Wed thru Friday so my guess is that it may be an even worse idea to stay west of it (since we will be looking only to the East of it for neighborhoods).

so its between Marriott San Ramon (boring but logical), The Rose, Lafayette Park Hotel, or perhaps the Renaissance Club Sport in Walnut Creek. Any further input greatly appreciated.

One of the things my wife HATED about the East Cost relo tour was how things are so inconvenient compared to the West Coast. Sure if we didnt have kids she and I agreed it would be great to live amongst history but not at the expense of giving up what she is used to now where the doctors office, shopping, schools, movie theaters, dance studios for girls, etc...are all within a small radius and yes, I understand folks on the Peninsula etc also dont like McMansion homes and malls but hey, if kids and wife are not happy I wont be Maybe its best if I not give her that impression at all which I worry the Lafeyette hotel will do

Old 03-14-2010, 11:58 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
One of the things my wife HATED about the East Cost relo tour was how things are so inconvenient compared to the West Coast. Sure if we didnt have kids she and I agreed it would be great to live amongst history but not at the expense of giving up what she is used to now where the doctors office, shopping, schools, movie theaters, dance studios for girls, etc...are all within a small radius
For convenience (free internet,free parking,free breakfast) check out Marriott Residence Inn in San Ramon.

Residence Inn San Ramon

For ease of your commute look at the west part of San Ramon near Crow Canyon. There is a direct backroad route to the 92 which would have less horrible traffic than the 580 or Bay Bridge.

Driving Directions from Bollinger Canyon Rd & Crow Canyon Rd San Ramon, California to South San Francisco, California

Windemere is the brand new development in the eastern part of San Ramon.
Advantage:new houses and new schools. Disadvantage:small treeless lots and a longer commute.

Windemere

There is also a small area in Castro Valley that has good schools and nice houses. This would be a shorter commute.

SF bay area real estate - all classifieds "palomares" - craigslist

If you plan to commute via Bart, Walnut Creek is the obvious choice since it has a Bart station.

Getting Around - Walnut Creek Downtown Business Association

If you like Asian food,check out the Ulferts Center in Dublin,something different compared to the typical suburban chains.

Dublin Ulferts Center, Stores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland