U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,532,976 times

Advertisements

Hi:

Hoping for opinions on:

Commute from SFO to Fairmont Hotel near Union Square? Plane comes in the evening.

Getting around? Should we buy a 1 week passport? Those are good on cable cars as well I think? There is a cable car stop in front of our hotel. Planning on going to Fishermans Wharf, Haight, Noe, Chinatown, staying in Union Square, Golden Gate Park.

Opinions on the Alcatraz Night Tour? Might freak daughter out a bit not sure

Any other suggestions, advice, etc? Hubby and I have both been many times, but its been several years since last visit, teen daughter's first visit....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 PM

4,151 posts, read 10,572,243 times
Just take cab or supershuttle from SFO, unless you want to do BART and then walk up 3 blocks or so to the Fairmont.
Check their schedule since they don't go all night and I don't know what time in the evening your plane gets in.
As for the cablecar and muni and fastpass and such:

The Cable Car Rider's Guide

The cable car turnaround on Powell is a couple blocks south of the Fairmont. you can purchase tickets right there.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 PM

3,703 posts, read 14,079,381 times
You can take BART from the airport to Powell St. station in SF and take a cable car (outside the BART station) to the Fairmont.

There is a tourist office at this BART station and you can get 1, 3, 7 day pass good on all buses, light rail, and cable cars.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:27 PM

3,703 posts, read 14,079,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Hi:

Hoping for opinions on:

Commute from SFO to Fairmont Hotel near Union Square?
BTW, the Fairmont is not near Union Square. The Fairmont is on Nob Hill (near the Mark Hopkins Hotel) and it's about 4 blocks all downhill to Union Square.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 PM

802 posts, read 2,182,924 times
It's about 8 blocks from the Powell BART station to the hotel, with about a 250ft gain in elevation so I would not suggestion lugging a bunch of luggage uphill...

Old 03-18-2010, 12:29 AM

96 posts, read 298,190 times
I would not recommend hiking up the hill from Powell and Market to California with luggage. In turn, I would not recommend taking bart with a family of three. With the recent fare hikes, it's now $8.10 per person.
For comparison:

Bart (24.30) + cab from Powell (10.00) = 34.30 (about 45 min to an hour total)
shuttle (Supershuttle/Lorries etc): 15.00 minimum x 3 = 45.00 (time varies, but may have several stops)
cab: 40.00-45.00 (door to door in 20-30 mins)

For 1 or 2 people, bart is still a reasonable option. Any more than that there's no reason not to just grab a cab unless you're on a very tight budget.

have fun!

Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 AM

3 posts, read 9,391 times
One word: Exploratorium.

Exploratorium: the museum of science, art and human perception

Old 03-24-2010, 08:10 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,532,976 times
Thanks for everyone's replies.....yes I think the cab will work best, forgot that we are flying in at 10pm. Cannot walk up the hill to the Fairmont with luggage at that hour. Can you believe its 6.5 hour direct flight from Miami? We just took a 8.5 hour flight to South America, cant believe it takes that long to Cali lol.

Anyone been to Shopping the Musical? How about Rue Lepic? Is Ananda Fuara's still delicious? I was in love with that place 15 years ago lol. Super excited to show my daughter around....taking her shopping around Noe Valley, Haight, Union Square, Fillmore, for cute teen friendly boutiques? Also Golden Gate Park, Japanese Tea Garden, China Town (dim sum?), an art museum or two and the Exploratorium. Wish it was warmer though!! You will see us Florida people walking around all bundled up

Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 AM

4,151 posts, read 10,572,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Just take cab or supershuttle from SFO, unless you want to do BART and then walk up 3 blocks or so to the Fairmont.
Check their schedule since they don't go all night and I don't know what time in the evening your plane gets in.
As for the cablecar and muni and fastpass and such:

The Cable Car Rider's Guide

The cable car turnaround on Powell is a couple blocks south of the Fairmont. you can purchase tickets right there.
LOL! My apologies, in my mind when I wrote this I kept thinking of the St. Francis, somehow the Fairmont didn't register!

Hell yeah, everyone else is right, unless you are a sadist, don't walk and lug yourselves up the hill from the BART.

Go taxi!

Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 10,306 times
We were just there for a weekend to see the King Tut exhibit at the deYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park. If you have a child, I recommend some time at the park. I'm not so much a fan of the Alcatraz tour and I did it during the day. The ferry ride was nice, but it was a depressing place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>