Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 06:50 PM

1,006 posts, read 734,716 times

Advertisements

I currently work in IT as a Junior System administrator/desktop support analyst but in the next 2 years I HOPE to be done with my finance degree and my girlfriend plans to be done with her Masters in Special Education. I currently have no degree but plenty of experience and a wide range of support roles. Would I stand a better chance by putting my Finance degree on hold and completing an Associates in CIS to better get me established in the IT world out there and make it easier to find a gig immediately or should I crank out the B.A. in Finance in hopes of making me more a marketable, a technical guy who understands numbers, budgeting and business models?

Thanks CD family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:37 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I currently work in IT as a Junior System administrator/desktop support analyst but in the next 2 years I HOPE to be done with my finance degree and my girlfriend plans to be done with her Masters in Special Education. I currently have no degree but plenty of experience and a wide range of support roles. Would I stand a better chance by putting my Finance degree on hold and completing an Associates in CIS to better get me established in the IT world out there and make it easier to find a gig immediately or should I crank out the B.A. in Finance in hopes of making me more a marketable, a technical guy who understands numbers, budgeting and business models?

Thanks CD family.
Hmmm... I've done something similar at the graduate level. I've worked in IT then did a graduate degree in Business. The job market was not good in the Bay area, and so my spouse and I relocated to Raleigh in 2009. The job market there is probably a little worse, d'oh!

There are plenty of folks in the IT industry who don't have a BS degree. In my experience you'll do just as well if you maintain a steady employment history in IT, and keep gaining skills and experience. If you can take on more responsibility (Jr System Admin -> Sr Admin -> IT Mgr?) that is better than going back to school and getting away from the IT world, in my opinion. I don't know that a CIS degree is necessary.

If you do decide to do the Finance degree, I would recommend finding a part time job while you're doing it, preferably in Finance or IT. A degree in Finance would put you on a completely different career path. I don't think Finance & IT combine too well at the entry level. Don't be so quick to go for the Finance degree unless/until you have a really good idea what you plan to do with it. Is the Finance degree 4 year and the CIS degree 2 year?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:19 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Lots of top CompSci or Finance undergrads arrive in SF/SV every yr for their first post-college jobs, so it's a rather competitive but addictive/inspiring region for anyone ambitious

IT support is a function that's increasingly commoditized/virtualized, and many financial firms and BigTech cos. are moving back-office ops to more efficient places like Dallas (or Bangalore)

To best prepare, would investigate the various major hedge funds (and BigOil&Gas cos.) in both Dallas and Houston to figure out what are latest job skills/hiring needs (and realize several major CA hedge funds are considering moving HQs to Dallas to avoid CA's abusive taxes)

Old 03-25-2010, 07:25 PM

1,006 posts, read 734,716 times
Zitsky, you are correct. The Finance is a 4 year degree and the CIS is a 2 year degree. What was your undergrad in if you dont mind me asking.

hsw, I currently work for Southwestern Energy. A leading Natural Gas exploration and production company here in Houston. Company is doing really well and on a hiring blitz. Im just afraid that in order to maintain my relationship, a move to the Bay Area may be a necessity as this is something she has been preparing for in the last 4 years. Only time will tell but I'd like to be best prepared.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Zitsky, you are correct. The Finance is a 4 year degree and the CIS is a 2 year degree. What was your undergrad in if you dont mind me asking.

hsw, I currently work for Southwestern Energy. A leading Natural Gas exploration and production company here in Houston. Company is doing really well and on a hiring blitz. Im just afraid that in order to maintain my relationship, a move to the Bay Area may be a necessity as this is something she has been preparing for in the last 4 years. Only time will tell but I'd like to be best prepared.
My undergrad was a BS in Computer Science, but I got into IT instead of programming. Since you work for an energy company, you might consider applying for a job at Chevron in the IT department, or something in finance after you do a Finance degree.

You say that you're not sure about the relationship, and about moving. I don't know how long you've been together but don't move just because your girlfriend wants to. The SF area can be a great place to live, but if you're going to be miserable, then it isn't worth it. I know people who have followed their spouses around, and were unhappy. OTOH, if you have a good relationship and you can both be happy, then I'd consider it.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:

Is she coming out here for school or work? Does she have a job lined up?

Schools are laying off in droves right now, jobs are tight everywhere. This isn't the time to move out here in speculation of maybe finding a job....

Old 04-08-2010, 06:24 AM

10 posts, read 25,735 times
You will find plenty of jobs in this area the only thing you have to do is keep an eye on the classified of related area or jobs classified sites are the better option for searching jobs for the relevant fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland