Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:10 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
on jan 29th a man was shot and killed in a brothel in the sunset then 3 weeks later a man was shot and killed 5 blocks away.most people would be hesitant about their children growing up near prostitutes ,pimps and the violence associated with that lifestyle. i have a hard time understanding how 2 murders(one in a brothel)in 3 weeks equals safe area.

on jan 29th a man was shot and killed in a brothel in the sunset then 3 weeks later a man was shot and killed 5 blocks away.

nope.still not screaming safe area.
You've got to be kidding me.

If you are growing marijuana in your garage or visiting a brothel, or are involved with a gang/drugs then no, the Sunset (or any other neighborhood for that matter) is not going to be safe for you.

The trick to avoiding danger is to not involve yourself with dangerous/illegal activities. Yes, safe otherwise

Several of my best friends and their families still lives in the Sunset..raising the kids there and one even has her daughter takes the bus across the City to high school every day..gasp!

Not one tidbit of a violent/scary story..pretty boring overall after 20+yrs in the Sunset. The worse to ever happen to me there was my mom's car was stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You've got to be kidding me.

If you are growing marijuana in your garage or visiting a brothel, or are involved with a gang/drugs then no, the Sunset (or any other neighborhood for that matter) is not going to be safe for you.

The trick to avoiding danger is to not involve yourself with dangerous/illegal activities. Yes, safe otherwise

Several of my best friends and their families still lives in the Sunset..raising the kids there and one even has her daughter takes the bus across the City to high school every day..gasp!

Not one tidbit of a violent/scary story..pretty boring overall after 20+yrs in the Sunset. The worse to ever happen to me there was my mom's car was stolen.

i am not saying the sunset is a dangerous ghetto.
i hope you will at least acknowledge that there are "family friendly" neighborhoods were no one has been shot in years or decades and understand that the sunset is just not as safe as areas without brothels ,prostitutes,pimps and pot growing houses and the violence these activities generate.

or do you believe neighborhoods with these businesses are safer ? if so please explain how that works.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Quote:
i hope you will at least acknowledge that there are "family friendly" neighborhoods were no one has been shot in years or decades and understand that the sunset is just not as safe as areas without brothels ,prostitutes,pimps and pot growing houses and the violence these activities generate.

or do you believe neighborhoods with these businesses are safer ? if so please explain how that works.
According to your posting, one violent incident at one brothel constitutes a violent/dangerous area. One or two pot growing houses within a huge swath of the City doesn't make it a drug infested neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:

Those businesses exist in every single neighborhood in the state, including Pacific Heights, the Marina, and Atherton. Just because you don't know about them being in "family friendly" areas doesn't mean they don't exist.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM

clongirl -no it was 2 homicides by shootings in a 3 week period 5 blocks apart (one of which occured in a brothel).
please read that sentence again,slowly. that does not sound worrisome ? maybe have your kids avoid those blocks?

as far as the growhouse issue the sfpd believes it is more than 1 or 2 houses
from the article below

"Chignell said Thursday's operation was the 23rd such operation in the last six months in the Sunset and Ingleside neighborhoods."

Sep 30, 2009 7:39 pm US/Pacific
SFPD Targets Sunset District Pot Growing Houses

CBS 5 CrimeWatch

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5 / AP) ―

Socked in by coastal fog, gardeners in the city's Sunset District struggle to coax vegetables from plots rarely touched by sunlight. But recently, a certain crop has flourished behind closed doors.

Marijuana farms have become so widespread in this middle class neighborhood that the city's new police chief appealed to the public Wednesday for tips to help shut the operations down.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:52 PM

majoun- do 2 homicides in 3 weeks 5 blocks apart occur in every single neighborhood? i have posted this number and time frame in all my posts it is continually ignored.why?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
majoun- do 2 homicides in 3 weeks 5 blocks apart occur in every single neighborhood? i have posted this number and time frame in all my posts it is continually ignored.why?
Neighborhoods that are normally safe often experience sudden outbursts of violence and waves of violent crime that exist for awhile before they're dealt with and things return to normal. It does happen.

As for brothels and home pot growing operations, they exist in every single neighborhood in CA and most of the USA.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:04 PM

111 posts, read 156,262 times
If you are afraid and worried about the Sunset being bad, you need to move to the suburbs. A city is not for you.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kense View Post
If you are afraid and worried about the Sunset being bad, you need to move to the suburbs. A city is not for you.
And when that person finds the same stuff happening in the suburbs, they'll be in the same situation again.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Neighborhoods that are normally safe often experience sudden outbursts of violence and waves of violent crime that exist for awhile before they're dealt with and things return to normal. It does happen.

As for brothels and home pot growing operations, they exist in every single neighborhood in CA and most of the USA.

so when did this happen in st frances woods,predio hts and se cliff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland