Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:46 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kense View Post
You watch too much weeds. It's not that prevalent. Suburban moms prefer to do coke.

Really? Are you a suburban mom? I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 AM

111 posts, read 156,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Really? Are you a suburban mom? I am.
You take this way too seriously.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:19 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kense View Post
You take this way too seriously.
Lol...I was going to say the same to you, but I'll refrain since I may be a bit paranoid from all my heavy cannabis use.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:21 AM

111 posts, read 156,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Lol...I was going to say the same to you, but I'll refrain since I may be a bit paranoid from all my heavy cannabis use.
LOL

Old 04-03-2010, 12:12 AM

221 posts, read 798,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
**ding ding ding***

We have a winner folks!!!!

Exactly.

This whole thread of yours Erin, reeks of trolling and flame baiting.

Oh we are so sorry. Sorry none of us are willing to accommodate you in that way.
**yes, that was sarcastic**
Ive enjoyed reading through this thread, and dont feel like people aren't "accomodating" me. I just didnt understand how and why you were trying to claim that California is so much safer than places on the East Coast were in the 70's and 80's and attacking people who might believe otherwise.

This thread, like many others on City-Data, was meant to start a discussion. I have heard the perception from many different people that the Bay Area overall is so much nicer and safer than LA, and I do tend to think a lot of people from the bay turn a blind eye to just how polarized things are here, and just how *bad* the bad areas are. Ive worked at Job-Corps and several other high schools in some of the worst bay area neighborhoods so Ive seen it first-hand.

I know it's not quite as black and white as I stated in the original title and post, I was taking an overly strong stance (although I agree with the gist of it) to frame the discussion, as happens all the time on message boards across the internet.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
All I can say is I'm kinda appreciating San Diego's reputation for laid back culture down here after checking out the stats.

Might not be as exciting as LA or SF but plenty of fun to be had if you know where to look and the crime is just nearly nonexistent comparatively.

Having said that I sincerely love to visit both cities and have especially taken a hankering to LA lately. Like others have said- you hopefully learn what places to avoid. Crime does exist everywhere yet it is pretty rare for most of us that don't hang out with criminals to experience it first hand.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
All I can say is I'm kinda appreciating San Diego's reputation for laid back culture down here after checking out the stats.

Might not be as exciting as LA or SF but plenty of fun to be had if you know where to look and the crime is just nearly nonexistent comparatively.

Having said that I sincerely love to visit both cities and have especially taken a hankering to LA lately. Like others have said- you hopefully learn what places to avoid. Crime does exist everywhere yet it is pretty rare for most of us that don't hang out with criminals to experience it first hand.
Laid down is more like it for SD LOL.

SD just offers a different experience altogether from SF's as a whole. Thing is, SD can get old pretty quickly and would not be much without the county as a lot of what people in "in San Diego" is actually outside the city in the surrounding county. However SD county is really like no other. Only in LA and SD counties can you go from the beaches to the mountains to the desert in such a short time. Especially in LA county.

But the Bay Area offers a larger variety as a whole, just a different variety.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
^^
Totally agree with you for 85% of the city, but I live in South Park- pretty happening, actually quite a (village) urban oasis in a sea of surburbanity- and can partake in all downtown/arts activities that I choose.

It doesn't offer the same edge as SF or LA obviously but nonetheless it is a very approachable compact city, and if you have at least a bit of a sense of adventure you can find enough edginess to satisfy most.

I'm all about seeing the best in everything though so I make a point to explore and have a good time in wherever I'm at- crime stats aren't gonna scare me from any great city experience.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:59 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
^^
Totally agree with you for 85% of the city, but I live in South Park- pretty happening, actually quite a (village) urban oasis in a sea of surburbanity- and can partake in all downtown/arts activities that I choose.

It doesn't offer the same edge as SF or LA obviously but nonetheless it is a very approachable compact city, and if you have at least a bit of a sense of adventure you can find enough edginess to satisfy most.

I'm all about seeing the best in everything though so I make a point to explore and have a good time in wherever I'm at- crime stats aren't gonna scare me from any great city experience.
Thanks for being patient for my tendency to oversimplify lol. I do like the Hillcrest/University Heights area for many of the same reasons so you're right, that amounts to about 85% of the city. I love exploring the county though and hopefully if time permits I'll do my back country tour that I like to do next week.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:36 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
Ive enjoyed reading through this thread, and dont feel like people aren't "accomodating" me. I just didnt understand how and why you were trying to claim that California is so much safer than places on the East Coast were in the 70's and 80's and attacking people who might believe otherwise.
God forbid that I would get into the middle of this but, really, I don't understand why anyone would feel "good" about their surroundings relative to any place ... 30 some odd years ago. I suppose if you're a time traveler, it would make a difference. But, that kind of technological innovation is a good three or four years off, I believe

But, if it makes whomever on the left coast feel better about his/her living situation then, yes, I feel in dire threat for my life here in Boston on a daily basis ... when I'm living in 1974 or ... er ... 1985 ... er ... whatever. This is a bizarre discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland