Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 4,971 times

Advertisements

Hi All! My wife and I are moving to the Bay Area later this summer due to my next tour being at Yerba Buena Island. I'm in the Coast Guard and my wife is a Social Worker. We're looking for some advice on several things....

1. Nice neighborhoods where we can get a 3br for $2700 month or less?

2. Respected/reputable hospitals for my wife to look into?

3. Any other advice for two Bay Area newbies on where to go/must see places?

I have many more questions but will start with these. Thank you in advance for helping us out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 12:28 PM

6 posts, read 16,504 times
I'd recommend picking up a little book called Not For Tourists. When I moved into the city and was just getting to know the different neighborhoods, this book helped me a lot in deciding where I wanted to live (and more importantly where I could afford to live!). I think you might be able to access a free, smaller PDF version of the book on the website, but the book is worth the money. Hope that helps!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 PM

Thank you for the book, I'll look into it. I've been reading that Walnut Creek is a pretty good location. I've also been told that since my wife and I are in our early 30's w/no kids that we should live in SF city....anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 AM

1,864 posts, read 3,096,898 times
What advice you'd get depends on how much experience you've had with the area. How many times have you been to the Bay area? Where all have you been?

Old 04-17-2010, 07:33 AM

Neither one of us has ever been to the Bay area. We intend to visit for a week in May to get a feel for both SF and East Bay. We can't take off more than a weeks time so if you can give recommendations on 'must visit' cities/suburbs/neighborhoods we would truly appreciate it! Thanks!

Old 04-17-2010, 11:05 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,974,698 times
You need to be just a little more specific on your needs..Do you want to live in an urban walkable type area with independently owned shops/boutiques, or are you more into driving to the local Target for your needs and having the chain stores nearby.

Do you have to be around racially diverse culture, or are you okay with more homogeneity? Do you picture yourselves in a modern town home with a swimming pool and laundry facilities or an older architecturally interesting place that's a block away from a cafe but has no parking.

Also, how do you intend on getting to work? Car or public transport? Also the big one around here is weather! Do you have to have warm/hot or are you alright with fog/wind/chillier temps.

The Bay Area is so vast and so different from city to city...Just about every city has a hospital, so that aspect is pretty much taken care of!

So let us know what kind of environment/lifestyle you're looking for and we can narrow it down a little.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,595 times
My husband and I may be moving to the Petaluma area due to his job. Have visited frequently but now need to know about safe areas to live in. I would not be working and would like to feel safe in a new community, we have grown children and young grandchildren and would like to be somewhere that they could enjoy visiting. Any neighborhoods you can recommend?

Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 5,899 times
Military OneSource is a great source for anyone moving due to military orders: [url=http://www.militaryonesource.com]Military OneSource[/url] (800)342-9647

Old 04-17-2010, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 5,899 times
Default clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommyof2 View Post
Military OneSource is a great source for anyone moving due to military orders: [url=http://www.militaryonesource.com]Military OneSource[/url] (800)342-9647
Just an FYI to the moderator...this is in no way, shape or form an "advertisement". It is simply letting the person who started this thread know that the DOD has this website set up as: "A virtual extension of installation services."

Another good source I forgot to mention is to get in contact with the Family Readiness Officer or Family Readiness Group at your next duty station for information about the area. There are many volunteers who can assist you with any information referrals. I would suggest calling the base and find out who you can get in contact with to obtain this information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland