Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrad2004 View Post
Racists are everywhere, sure there are probably more in the South, but "full of racist" is a bit generalizing. That's like a foreigner saying all americans have "big houses, SUVs, and all girls are blonde with big boobs" It's just what Hollywood portrays. People need to stop being ignorant

sounds like Texas to me

Ooops, I misread that, I thought you wrote big blonde hair and boobs. My bad.

Last edited by bellalunatic; 04-16-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 AM

157 posts, read 332,549 times
Well, some states yes, but not in general all the South!!! Please stop generalizing everything!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
I've lived in the Northeast, Southeast and Midwest. The Northeast and Midwest take the prize for being the most racist. Just because the Southern racists have a Confederate flag doesn't make them more racist.

Anybody who thinks I'm wrong, go drive through small town Georgia and then go go drive through small town Indiana. Tell me what you think.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
The confederate flag is one of the most powerful symbols of race division in existence. It's comparable to flashing a Swastika in public.

Yet, so many in the South flash it without concern.

You simply aren't educated about world history and politics.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:57 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
No seriously, the South is the most racist part of the country. When your state legislature has to pass a law from preventing school children from wearing the confederate flag on their clothing, then you know a whole bunch of people are racist (as well as their kids).
The point is we need to stop generalizing and act as if there is no complexity in issues. Pulling #'s from thin air, but let's say that 5% of the west coast population is truly "racist" and 15% of the southern population is truly "racist". Ok, so that makes the west coast a bit better in comparison, but let's stop acting as if the south is still running slavery. Fwiw, I'm from the southeast and have traveled to the west coast.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
The Northeast and Midwest take the prize for being the most racist. Just because the Southern racists have a Confederate flag doesn't make them more racist.

Anybody who thinks I'm wrong, go drive through small town Georgia and then go go drive through small town Indiana. Tell me what you think.
Very true.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 AM

I never said conferedate flag is a good thing! I just said, stop generalizing the whole South as you are putting it! How did you extrapolate that to not educated on history???

Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
The confederate flag is one of the most powerful symbols of race division in existence. It's comparable to flashing a Swastika in public.

Yet, so many in the South flash it without concern.

You simply aren't educated about world history and politics.
I am from the south. Many southerners have been incorrectly raised to believe the confederate flag has little to do with slavery, at all. So again, complex issue. Many of the southerners who fly the confederate flag (which let me add is maybe a whopping 1% of the population at most, if that) deplore slavery and racism, not accepting the reality that the flag does represent much of that in regards to history. They instead feel that it represents a movement that values personal freedom and freedom from the federal government (states rights).

I hate the confederate flag myself, but again, we need to quit generalizing ... especially if not from the region.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I am from the south. Many southerners have been incorrectly raised to believe the confederate flag has little to do with slavery, at all. So again, complex issue. Many of the southerners who fly the confederate flag (which let me add is maybe a whopping 2%-3% at most) deplore slavery and racism, not accepting the reality that the flag does represent much of that in regards to history. They instead feel that it represents a movement that values personal freedom and freedom from the federal government (states rights).

I hate the confederate flag myself, but again, we need to quit generalizing ... especially if not from the region.

Thank you!!!! You nailed it, a lot of folks down there see it as a tradition and not as a racist thing, yes they are ignorant and uneducated about it, but that's only part of the population!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Your opinion is too highly slanted, being a resident of the South. Even Nazi's believed that they lived in a great area, while everyone outside of Nazi Germany thought it was a facist nightmare.

Also claiming that people in the South don't know "what the flag means" yet still wear it only excuses racism for ignorance. That's not much better of a brush stroke. So it's either racist or stupid, gee, the South sounds like a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland