Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrometheus View Post
At the risk of certain people getting hysterical and calling me a troll (because they have no logic to challenge me with, only emotion), let me share a memory-stream of events and experiences of my time in San Francisco (<-- beautiful name!) so that you might understand where I'm coming from ... and why I posed the question of San Francisco possibly being overrated.

Filth everywhere! ... Broken glass ... dog poop ... stains all over the sidewalks ... trash littering the streets ... just disgusting!

Rude, ignorant people ... heard some trolly driver SCREAM at the top of his lungs at someone because they had committed the big crime of having their toes beyond a little white line ... watched a bunch of good folks from New York City step out from their moving vans and began removing props to use in a play they were going to do when some clown in a gathered crowd across the street from them began yelling, "Go back to the Bronx! Go back to the Bronx!" (I couldn't help but notice the hurt in the eyes of one of the ladies as she and her friends were getting this kind of "welcome" after enduring a very long and tiring trip.)

Heard some left-wing radio sap talking to a fan of the show ... going back and forth with something like: "Yeah, yeah, I think we're more sophisticated than people in other places, don't you?"

"Sure we are. This is the Bay Area and I think we're more enlightened blah blah blah."

On and on they went, flattering themselves about how "special" they were because they shared the same general geographical location. What a laugh!

Believe it or not, one of the times I was visiting there I had to go to nearly a dozen places to get a $100 bill cashed! I couldn't believe the reaction of people when they saw my $100 bill. They acted like they'd never seen one before, and acted like they were afraid of it!

On another occasion I went into some place that thought they were high class and I told them I'd like to just order a glass of orange juice. The lady told me that the orange juice would cost $7 because that was their minimum. Judas priest!!

During another episode from the bowels of Frisco, I found myself shopping in some grocery store when some skinny punk wearing a bed sheet as a poncho did his shopping, and on the back of his outfit were the words "I hate your guts!" written in dry-marker!

On another occasion in this city of self-proclaimed sophisticates, I and a friend were given tickets to see a play in North Beach. Well, what a joke THAT was! These idiots on the stage went back and forth to each other with clever remarks like, "Have you been to Salem, Winston?" ... "Where is my Camel?" ... "Isn't it Kool in here tonight?" ... and on and on they went with this lame, retarded production they thought was so entertaining!

Glory holes, bath houses, puke in the streets, over-priced dumpy apartments, pimps and their hoes, walking-dead types dressed in dreary, dark clothes with sunken, sickly eyes, little sunlight after 4:30, ... it goes on and on and if doing a reality check makes me a troll or a hater or whatever, so be it.

But like I originally posted: Why does San Francisco so often get such glowing accolades when places like Detroit get spat on? I just don't understand why there's such a wide gulf between these places in terms of their supposed livability when in fact they're both rather disgusting places.
I think Californio Sur got it right in his/her post above.

I will agree with you, though, that San Franciscans (in general, of rouse) definitely thinks too highly of themselves. They're quick to notice the self-righteousness of Bible thumpers, but not so quick to notice it in themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 PM

115 posts, read 301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
To be quite honest [and not as a put-down] but I don't think you will ever "understand" based on your observations. I imagine everything you wrote is true [and can be applied to all large cities]. But you remind me of someone who looks at a world-famous painting and yet concentrate on a minor crack on the picture frame. If that is all you saw in San Francisco than I believe you were looking in the gutter. Not a very impressive outlook, I'm afraid.
If you read all my comments, you'd see that I have stated that I liked the buildings and weather and, too, mentioned that there are indeed some wonderful people there.

Perhaps you're the one concentrating on a "minor crack on the picture frame"?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:16 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
Quote:
But like I originally posted: Why does San Francisco so often get such glowing accolades when places like Detroit get spat on? I just don't understand why there's such a wide gulf between these places in terms of their supposed livability when in fact they're both rather disgusting places.
As someone who grew up in the upper midwest and moved to the Bay Area as an adult, let me assure you that SF beats Detroit hands-down in setting alone. All big cities have problems, and SF is no exception. Fortunately, there is much to love despite the issues.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-24-2010 at 09:32 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 14,354 times
We lived in Chicago for seven years, and it's a great city (weather is awful, however), but we were very unhappy there. We moved once it was financially and personally possible to do so. While we would never go back, we can still recognize the positives and recall fond memories of that time in our lives.

Thing is, everyone's different, and different regions, cities, etc. resonate with each of us in a very personal way. If you're unhappy somewhere and if can move, then do it, but to come back and trash someplace you were unhappy in years and years ago speaks to something more personal and bitter going on than merely disliking a city.

Just sayin'.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,054 times
Quote:
At the risk of certain people getting hysterical and calling me a troll (because they have no logic to challenge me with, only emotion), let me share a memory-stream of events and experiences of my time in San Francisco (<-- beautiful name!) so that you might understand where I'm coming from ... and why I posed the question of San Francisco possibly being overrated.

Filth everywhere! ... Broken glass ... dog poop ... stains all over the sidewalks ... trash littering the streets ... just disgusting!

Rude, ignorant people ... heard some trolly driver SCREAM at the top of his lungs at someone because they had committed the big crime of having their toes beyond a little white line ... watched a bunch of good folks from New York City step out from their moving vans and began removing props to use in a play they were going to do when some clown in a gathered crowd across the street from them began yelling, "Go back to the Bronx! Go back to the Bronx!" (I couldn't help but notice the hurt in the eyes of one of the ladies as she and her friends were getting this kind of "welcome" after enduring a very long and tiring trip.)

Heard some left-wing radio sap talking to a fan of the show ... going back and forth with something like: "Yeah, yeah, I think we're more sophisticated than people in other places, don't you?"

"Sure we are. This is the Bay Area and I think we're more enlightened blah blah blah."

On and on they went, flattering themselves about how "special" they were because they shared the same general geographical location. What a laugh!

Believe it or not, one of the times I was visiting there I had to go to nearly a dozen places to get a $100 bill cashed! I couldn't believe the reaction of people when they saw my $100 bill. They acted like they'd never seen one before, and acted like they were afraid of it!

On another occasion I went into some place that thought they were high class and I told them I'd like to just order a glass of orange juice. The lady told me that the orange juice would cost $7 because that was their minimum. Judas priest!!

During another episode from the bowels of Frisco, I found myself shopping in some grocery store when some skinny punk wearing a bed sheet as a poncho did his shopping, and on the back of his outfit were the words "I hate your guts!" written in dry-marker!

On another occasion in this city of self-proclaimed sophisticates, I and a friend were given tickets to see a play in North Beach. Well, what a joke THAT was! These idiots on the stage went back and forth to each other with clever remarks like, "Have you been to Salem, Winston?" ... "Where is my Camel?" ... "Isn't it Kool in here tonight?" ... and on and on they went with this lame, retarded production they thought was so entertaining!

Glory holes, bath houses, puke in the streets, over-priced dumpy apartments, pimps and their hoes, walking-dead types dressed in dreary, dark clothes with sunken, sickly eyes, little sunlight after 4:30, ... it goes on and on and if doing a reality check makes me a troll or a hater or whatever, so be it.

Maybe you're not a troll. It sounds to me like you're just completely delusional and actually believe your own fables. Your tone sounds rational but your stories and descriptions sound like complete BS. Particularly the repeated descriptions of these "zombie people" you keep mentioning. People in SF are from all over the world and its full of tourists, so your Shaun of the Dead image is bogus. As is most of the rest of what you have to say.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=formercalifornian

"SF beats Detroit hands-down in setting alone." How so? I've never once heard of Detroit being leveled by an earthquake.

"All big cities have problems, and SF is no exception." You have a gift for the understatement.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:52 PM

[quote=silvermoonsc;13882934]

"...but to come back and trash someplace you were unhappy in years and years ago..." Asking a question does not constitute "trashing." Methinks you're very selective, and that speaks to something deeper about you.

Last edited by MrPrometheus; 04-24-2010 at 10:12 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Maybe you're not a troll. It sounds to me like you're just completely delusional and actually believe your own fables. Your tone sounds rational but your stories and descriptions sound like complete BS. Particularly the repeated descriptions of these "zombie people" you keep mentioning. People in SF are from all over the world and its full of tourists, so your Shaun of the Dead image is bogus. As is most of the rest of what you have to say.
Not true. My words are pure GOLD.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:24 AM

31 posts, read 62,574 times
wow, really. That typically happens, well savage is a douchebag. Oakland is way more dangerous than san francisco. You cant say they're the same. Ive never been to Detroit, but there is absolutely no way it is better than san francisco. I suppose next youll say camden is better than san diego.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,049,484 times
Quote:
Well these kind of things do happen in a place like San Francisco, but many of them aren't exclusive to there. You seem pretty shaken up by those experiences. I don't mean to dismiss what happened to you, but none of those stories you mentioned appeared to be life threatening, just annoying. Have things been better for you in Michigan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland