Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 PM

76 posts, read 141,354 times

Advertisements

I spend each day mulling over the possibility of moving back to the Bay Area and thought I may as well run my thoughts by those of you who currently live there. I left back in 2003. I moved to the embarassment of a state (AZ) which has now signed off on the latest Immigration Bill and even though I've managed to endure all these years bored out of my mind, rueing the day I ever left the BA, this is just too much!

So I've been looking on Yahoo real estate and it seems there are lots of deals to be had. I have maybe $300K in cash to spend. And, no, I do not want to go back to Antioch but maybe Fairfield or Vacaville are doable, although I've been thinking of buying a little house in N. Concord.

My problem is this: I haven't had the world's most stable job history here. I switched careers and discovered it was a mistake. The Bay Area is filled with super smart and well educated people. My thinking is...if I live in the dumbest state in the country and employers are not beating a path to my door, how on earth could I ever get a job again up there?? Yes, I can pay cash for the house but I need to work too.

If anyone has any input, it would REALLY be most appreciated! I just can no longer deal with living in this gun toting, right wingnut state any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,429 times
Default Go Ahead.....reintegrate!

While my husband & I are both retired & trying to live on a fixed income, we must leave this beautiful Bay Area. Living expenses are just too high for those of us on Social Security.
We are currently selling our house in Montara which is a 30 minute drive to SF & perhaps the right neighborhood for you. A small village on the Pacific Ocean where everyone hikes, bikes & ocean kayaks with a small community vibe. No home mail delivery....all 400 or so of us pick up our mail at the tiny post office overlooking the ocean. I can walk 4 blocks to access my mail, a great cappucino, pick up a newspaper, or dine at a high end restaurant overlooking the Pacific. Did I say a 30 minute drive to SF? That will change next year when the current tunnel project is complete & decreases the drive time. All this fresh air has kept the community socially & politically aware.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:47 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,063,301 times
I can understand your work situation. I sometimes wonder what it must be like to be one of "those" people in the valley that have all the connections and get the best jobs. Yes the valley is competitive but there is still room for people like you. When you send resumes & interview, focus on what you can do to help your potential employer and not just on skills or job history, e.g. do you know how to reduce purchasing costs, have you completed large projects under budget etc.

If I were you, I'd focus on getting job interviews (and a job offer) out here before making a decision to move. And then, when you move back, I would recommend renting before thinking of buying.

What was your career switch BTW? I've thought about that myself, but am worried about the same thing.. that it could be a mistake.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:58 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Maybe buy Grandma's house in Montara and turn it into a bed and breakfast?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,776 times
So...you're moving because of that weak immigrant bill? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland