Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 PM

211 posts, read 280,867 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I wanted to know if anyone has any advice for me in terms of relocation. I need to move a 2 bedroom house (we are trying to minimise the type of goods we are going to move so hopefully we get minimum furniture. So it will be house hold items) from Sydney, Australia to East Bay area in SF.

Could anyone guide me in terms of the cheapest way to do this? I just need to put together something that tells me how much it's going to cost us. Needless to say, I want to keep the charges to minimum.

I also hear tehre might be charges from Customs that I need to be aware of.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,058,414 times
As a rule, unless your stuff is rare or unusually valuable it's generally a better idea to simply have a garage sale to unload your stuff and replace it when you get here. SF is considered a world class city which basically means you can get just about anything here you could get back home...including that horrible diet staple called Vegemite.

You will find our selection of cars and motorcycles a bit different due to various safety and environmental regulations. Particularly in CA, you may find it difficult to license and register a vehicle from overseas. It's not impossible but it's not cheap or easy. Other than that, it's the same stuff at a lower price.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:46 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,310,047 times
I second Joe_Ryder.

Don't bring anything you arent sentimentally attached to with you. Its a waste of time and money when you can go to Wal Mart or Target and get most if it dirt cheap here.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:23 AM

Vegemite !!!! I am excited. I was thinking of getting a few pounds of that. LOL....

Yes totally agree with you. Not even thinking of getting my car and any electronics. ALl those will be sold. I was more so thinking about clothes, utensils, other house hold items.

Also, I have traveled across CA (LA, SD, SF etc) so I kinda know what to expect.

If anyone can tell me of their experience (if any) on the Sydney - CA relocation costs that would be awesome.

Cheers

Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,058,414 times
This might be of help. U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Import

I doubt the duty taxes, if any, will be substantial but the shipping itself will probably make it cost prohibitive. For shipping costs you'd need to talk to folks on your end. You can check online at various US stores to get an idea of prices.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:31 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,460,412 times
You can find Vegemite at World Market, I lived in Sydney for 6 months...and couldn't get used to it on my toast . I also lived on the Gold Coast Surfers Paradise to be exact, Penrith outside Sydney too.

BTW I fully agree with the garage sale and buying new here. If you have larger items then try something like:

Excess Baggage Company - Free Quote - Shipping & Storage Services

Bring me a few Victoria Bitters please!
(http://www.cellar360.com/cellar360/index.jsp - broken link)

Last edited by Mach50; 04-22-2010 at 03:46 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Mach50 - thanks. Vegemite is an acquired taste for sure!

VB? I will get some - just come see me East Bay in June? ?

Do these excess baggage company do Australia to USA stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland