Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You have a very distorted understanding of what "government" is that reflects a Republican mindset totally uninformed. Basic Government 101 is that the people vote for the representatives who make decisions in the name of the people. I'm sure you have a city council where you live and you may even personally know your city council person. Is that the "government" you are denouncing? The "government" doesn't make businesses boycott Arizona. The NBA whose Arizona players protested the law last night were not forced to condemn the Arizona governor & legislature. They did it on their own, in part, because they don't like the law and want to make sure their fans understand that they support them.

Republicans seems to lack any real understanding of our form of government & become hysterical without even a clue of what they protest!
You appear to be a very intelligent and informed 18 year old, but you haven't experienced enough of life nor lived enough places to really know as much as you seem to think you do. As for last night, yes, the owner did force the issue. No one mentioned the NBA, it was the team owner, this is what I am trying to explain to you, as well as government taking a stand and asking for a boycott, isn't the same as the population taking the stand. Only time will tell.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,378,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Vote him OUT! He is the public's servant. The public needs to speak up!
What you fail to understand is that Gavin Newsom was voted into office by the people of San Francisco. That's how we form governments in the United States. They are the same people who vote to keep Nancy Pelosi as the speaker of Congress. We "speak up" by voting and the people of San Francisco do not vote for Republicans [just like the entire Bay Area & metro Los Angeles - the two largest population centers in California].

Out of state Republicans have no idea that their way of thinking is not shared by majority of the people who live in the largest state in America. We do not endorse stupidity and that's why Republicans are less than 25% of the California electorate.

Gavin Newsom is very likely to be the next lieutenant governor of California because the people of California will vote him into that office. Please understand we have our elected officials just like every other state. Should we start posting attacks on the governments of other states like Arkansas\ Texas\ Mississippi? No, I will not impose myself on other state's way of doing things. As Californians we are discussing how the action of Arizona may be dealt with. Nobody from California is posting attacks on the Arizona forum. Why do you think it is OK to post endless criticisms about San Francisco?

Last edited by californio sur; 05-06-2010 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,582,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just to let you know, I have never run to the mods. But others have because of name calling and personal attacks.

I think we all have a right to be part of any board we choose, I am very much a Californian at heart in some ways, but I also love living in AR. People in the NW corner of AR are anything but backwards, until you have been here judging the area is a little fruitless.

Nita
Since you mentioned that there are a large number of Californians in NW AR, I wonder: has there been a backlash yet? Generally wherever Californians move to en masse there is a backlash, the Pacific Northwest is the most well known example (probably because it recieved more Californians than other regions and the migration began earlier), but also more recently Texas and to a lesser extent Colorado have had backlashes. Do the locals moan about how Californians are trying to turn Arkansas into California and destroying their culture? Or has the number of Californians not reached that level yet (if it does)?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Since you mentioned that there are a large number of Californians in NW AR, I wonder: has there been a backlash yet? Generally wherever Californians move to en masse there is a backlash, the Pacific Northwest is the most well known example (probably because it recieved more Californians than other regions and the migration began earlier), but also more recently Texas and to a lesser extent Colorado have had backlashes. Do the locals moan about how Californians are trying to turn Arkansas into California and destroying their culture? Or has the number of Californians not reached that level yet (if it does)?
Not that I have seen and we have a fairly high consentration of hispanics as well, some are illegals. of course remember, even though we have a large "out of state population" we also are a very small state and our "large" is about the size of the smallest town in So California. (not quite) I am just putting things into perspecitive. We were out of town for a couple of weeks (in Ca as a matter of fact for part of the time) when this first broke, thus I don't know the thoughts then.

Do the people in AR moan about CA trying to turn us into CA? Not like OR and Texas for sure. Most people here really are glad to be out of Ca but still love to visit.

Nita

Old 05-07-2010, 10:28 PM

10,027 posts, read 9,496,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What you fail to understand is that Gavin Newsom was voted into office by the people of San Francisco. That's how we form governments in the United States. They are the same people who vote to keep Nancy Pelosi as the speaker of Congress. We "speak up" by voting and the people of San Francisco do not vote for Republicans [just like the entire Bay Area & metro Los Angeles - the two largest population centers in California].

Out of state Republicans have no idea that their way of thinking is not shared by majority of the people who live in the largest state in America. We do not endorse stupidity and that's why Republicans are less than 25% of the California electorate.
Gavin Newsom is very likely to be the next lieutenant governor of California because the people of California will vote him into that office. Please understand we have our elected officials just like every other state. Should we start posting attacks on the governments of other states like Arkansas\ Texas\ Mississippi? No, I will not impose myself on other state's way of doing things. As Californians we are discussing how the action of Arizona may be dealt with. Nobody from California is posting attacks on the Arizona forum. Why do you think it is OK to post endless criticisms about San Francisco?

75% democrat, I was wondering who to blame for the 45 billion deficit. And you call the republicans stupid.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:00 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,378,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
75% democrat, I was wondering who to blame for the 45 billion deficit. And you call the republicans stupid.
Did you forget who was the president when America fell into the worse recession since the great depression? The same president who created a vast & endless money hole called the Iraq & Afghanistan wars. Sorry, but Republicans tend to spend recklessly for stupid reasons and then get stingy when it comes to fellow Americans [weird priorities

Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,250 times
Quote:
I don't know where you are from but I don't hear much about Utah having problems, OK is growing and prospering, Texas is doing quite well,just to mention a few states I am familiar with. Though AR is a registered Democrat state it is primarily a conservative state, our unemployment is lower than average. I think MO is alwo doing quite well.

Nita
You say TX is conservative and doing well economically and those are right statements, but you fail to mention that TX is a very pro-immigration state. Every major city in TX like Dallas, Houston and Austin are in fact sanctuary cities and is as tolerant of illegal immigrants as San Francisco! TX governor Perry also thinks that AZ law is misguided and has no intention of doing anything similar in TX.

So TX is pretty much in the same page with CA when it comes to immigration. Besides why do people in Hickville, Arkansas get so worked up about immigration?? As far as I can tell the immigrants are not gonna go there even if Hickville lays out a red carpet for them! If the folks in these tiny fly-over states are so worried about immigration they should simply stay out of more progressive places like CA.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:38 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,250 times
Quote:
People in the NW corner of AR are anything but backwards, until you have been here judging the area is a little fruitless.

Nita
I have visited that area several times because it is pretty but that area is socially as backward as it can get. That area looks like straight out of movies like "Deliverance' and "Mississippi Burning". I fully regret that I spent lot of tourist dollars in that area and I would not recommend anyone to visit that area.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,453,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I fully regret that I spent lot of tourist dollars in that area and I would not recommend anyone to visit that area.
For which those of us in the Ozarks will be eternally grateful. But feel free to spend your money here any time, then leave!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I have visited that area several times because it is pretty but that area is socially as backward as it can get. That area looks like straight out of movies like "Deliverance' and "Mississippi Burning". I fully regret that I spent lot of tourist dollars in that area and I would not recommend anyone to visit that area.
absolutely not true, I am talking about Bentonville, Bella Vista, Fayetteville, Rogers, etc. You really could not possibley have visited these areas. They are so far from backwards it is a joke. Most people in the area are from Texas, California and a few other states or work for major corporations headquartered there. Now tell me where you actually visited, spent your tourist $$ and what was "Deiverance" about the area?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland