Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,529 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I stumbled upon this site after a few Google searches and thought some of the wise men (and women) on this site can help me out and provide an opinion.

I'm a single girl in my late 20's living in South Miami (SW 'burb of Miami, FL). I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to transfer jobs within my company and work in Pleasanton, CA. I'm all for big moves, but this one really has me worried. My main concern is the cost of living and meeting all new people.

I'm originally from Boston and graduated from NYU a few years back. I've done the whole city thing, but I'm not really into it anymore. Sadly, I've become one of those people who drive everywhere and enjoys a nice meal w/ friends at Applebee's (though I am a sucker for vegetarian Indian food or a spicy Cuban dish).

So my questions are as follows:
1. Do all the young people in the Bay Area live in the city? Growing up in Boston, it seemed that all the young people, under the age of 35, lived in the city. Here in south Florida, young people live everywhere like downtown MIA, the beach, coconut grove, fort lauderdale, etc.

2. I can probably negotiate a salary around 120k. Is this enough to buy a condo (2/2) in a good part of the East Bay? I probably wouldn't buy until I've lived there for a year or two.

3. Are there a lot of normal, down to earth people in the Bay Area? I'm not political at all, so I don't care about protests or anything like that. I like going to football games with friends and going out to a bar afterwards. And, I like to class it up a bit and go to upscale lounges and clubs once in a while. When I think of SF, I think of politicos, pot, and protests. I'm sure this is just a dated stereotype. Am I correct?

4. If I'm not a big city person, is it worth it (cost of living wise) to live so close to such an expensive city. It almost seems like a waste. Besides proximity to SF, what is great about the East Bay? Does it have a lot of outdoor activities, upscale bars/clubs, etc?

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,611 times
I'm also a single female in my late 20's, so I can give you advice from that perspective. I've lived in the Bay Area for awhile, but have also lived in Boston (Allston). While not all the young people in the area live in the city, a very large amount of them do. That said, you can still find young people in the 'burbs, but in Pleasanton it will be tougher. Pleasanton is an upper-middle class town with lots of ranches and farmland in the outskirts - the downtown has bars where you can find people our age, townies and cowboys mostly but it was pretty fun.

Condos in Pleasanton range from $200k - 400k; those payments + HOA could be difficult on a $120k salary, but perhaps not if you can make a down payment larger than 20% or if you have few expenses.

Your SF stereotypes are a bit more representative of Berkeley than SF. Pleasanton is rather isolated from either Berkeley or SF, so you wouldn't see much of that kind of thing. Even in Berkeley it wouldn't exactly interfere with your life if you chose to ignore it. Pleasanton doesn't have the same pot-friendly culture and is quite a bit more conservative. I'd recommend moving to Pleasanton straight off the bat, as there aren't too many places from which you'd want to commute to Pleasanton (680 and 580 are awful, traffic-wise).

There is a lot of nature in the East Bay, plenty of hiking trails and Mt. Diablo is close by, also Livermore has a burgeoning wine culture with lots of vineyards. Downtown Pleasanton is cute and quaint, with dive bars and snobby bars both, and some things in between. There is one club in Pleasanton, the only one for miles around that I'm aware of, and I did not particularly enjoy it but your mileage may vary - it's called Aura.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
If your job is in Pleasanton, and it's too "family oriented" for you, you can live elsewhere for fun. My 25 year old cousin is an example; She works in Pleasanton but chooses to live in Berkeley for the high energy atmosphere. She is renting with roommates right now, which keeps her costs down. There are areas within commuting distance to Pleasanton where you can buy a 2B/2b on 120K income, but remember that 10-20% down will probably be required. I think renting for a couple of years is a fine idea because you may not want to settle here permanently. Although I happen to think the Bay Area is one of the best places to live, everyone has their own ideas on that! The BART train takes you right into San Francisco and the surrounding areas so you are never far from the action when the mood strikes. Oh, and there is an Applebees nearby! Lot's of outdoor opportunities in the area and within short driving distances. Politically, people are all over the map and most aren't vocal about it. It's just the noisy ones people hear about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland