Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,303,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
$20,000,000 in estimated damage
Source this claim.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 02:46 PM

205 posts, read 210,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Source this claim.

OAKLAND — Though 78 people were arrested and damage estimates are in the thousands from Thursday night's vandalism following the verdict in the Johannes Mehserle murder case, Oakland police officials believe they accomplished their goals in containing the crowds while still providing a forum for free speech.

Oakland police critique crowd-control tactics after Mehserle verdict - ContraCostaTimes.com

Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT Oakland View Post
OAKLAND — Though 78 people were arrested and damage estimates are in the thousands from Thursday night's vandalism following the verdict in the Johannes Mehserle murder case, Oakland police officials believe they accomplished their goals in containing the crowds while still providing a forum for free speech.

Oakland police critique crowd-control tactics after Mehserle verdict - ContraCostaTimes.com
I thought so. LOL

Mr Fantastic has to stop making that inaccurat claim.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:22 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,072,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT Oakland View Post

Nice find LOL Would rep you if I could.

I was going to say.

I was in New Orleans after Katrina and I was in Oakland all day Saturday and I truthfully didn't see any damage lol 20 million

Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 PM

115 posts, read 567,073 times
Quote:
Oakland is such a dump and East Oakland is one of the trashiest places to put a baseball stadium. The amount of people's cars that get jacked during games is insane. I'm not surprised they can't even fill 10,000 seats.

To be honest they could have a 5,000 seat stadium and move it right next to Jack London Square and still have trouble selling out a game. That's because the average Oakland Citizen makes $35,000 a year, and unemployment is almost 20% in the city. These people have more to worry about than spending $17 for parking at a baseball game for a team that hasn't had any relevance since the 90s.
As a long time Oakland resident, I am apalled at this statment. If you ever went to an As game, you will know, most of the people who go to the games live in the nearby cities and not mainly Oakland.

People who attend the Raiders games, concerts, events do not care about the neigborhood because they just drive by it and they are there just to see the event or show. A lot of popular events are in the Oakland Oracle Center such as UFC, WWE, Britney Spears, AC/DC, etc. And most people are from outside of Oakland who attend these events or shows.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,243,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
1) The Giants haven't had Barry Bonds OR a playoff team in what, 3 or 4 years now?
Doesn't matter. That success built the team up and the history of that success has grown loyal fans (just like the 49errs who sell out 3COM regularly, and suck).

Quote:
The A's have been to the playoffs since 2000 as well
But not the World Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF
P.S. Oakland doesn't have the highest crime rate in California.
This is simply wrong and misinformed:
Pleasanton Weekly : Oakland has 3rd highest crime rate in U.S. CQ Press reports

Oakland has the 3rd highest crime rate in the country and the highest in the state. That may change for 2010, but for 2009, that's where the stats landed.

Now, what investor would throw money into a crime ridden city that suffers from debilitating riots?

What if Oakland does get a stadium? What will stop Oakland thugs from rioting every time the A's make the playoffs? As someone who is heavily involved in angel/venture capitalism for micro/small cap companies, these are questions I know I would ask, and a lot of my very wealthy friends would also ask.

See the problem is you have no experience in venture capitalism which is why you don't understand why a JLS stadium has no chance of being funded by private investors.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
As a long time Oakland resident, I am apalled at this statment. If you ever went to an As game, you will know, most of the people who go to the games live in the nearby cities and not mainly Oakland.

People who attend the Raiders games, concerts, events do not care about the neigborhood because they just drive by it and they are there just to see the event or show. A lot of popular events are in the Oakland Oracle Center such as UFC, WWE, Britney Spears, AC/DC, etc. And most people are from outside of Oakland who attend these events or shows.
All uncited claims, therefore ignored.

What we do know is that Oakland has the highest crime rate in California and that is a big concern for any private investors looking to invest into a $300 million dollar stadium.

Why would rich people want to invest money into a city where the police have basically said "We won't be responding to crimes anymore."

Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Why would rich people want to invest money into a city where the police have basically said "We won't be responding to crimes anymore."
Actually CB Richard Ellis, a corporation, just bought an office complex in Oakland for $360 Million so those kinds of dollar amounts are not something unheard of for Oakland business projects.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,247,960 times
Why are you still posting again?

You haven't even responded to your ridiculous claims about the 'riots' that supposedly cost the city millions.

Again, pick up your ball and go home. We are done playing with you and your lies. Log out and go do something productive with your day.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually CB Richard Ellis, a corporation, just bought an office complex in Oakland for $360 Million so those kinds of dollar amounts are not something unheard of for Oakland business projects.

As a real estate professional, it's laughable that you would compare the acquisition of Oakland's most prominent business complex to the private funding of a super stadium for a failed baseball team.

That simply shows how misinformed about commercial real estate you truly are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland