Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times

Advertisements

They get more space and better schools, but I know families in San Francisco and they say the kids love having so much to do..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 PM

282 posts, read 382,344 times
If you can afford it, growing up in San Francisco is Great and the kids will enjoy having so much to do other than hanging out in the mall like suburban kids.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
San Francisco has a very low number of families with children because people just move out to the suburbs where they get more space and better schools. To each their own though.
Not quite true...families actually started leaving (like mine) when the housing bubble started. I knew plenty of middle class families doing perfectly fine living in the City. The schools weren't too much of an issue. I actually didn't ever know any wealthy people until the last decade.

Problem started when housing began to triple/quadruple in price.. all within a very short time frame. My husband and I were competing with DINKS.. dual income, no kids, and the banks (which were apparently letting anyone buy a house, which we didn't actually know since we thought we still needed that 20% down payment). We literally couldn't figure out where all these "rich" people were coming from...now we know...they weren't rich..just took advantage of all the loose lending standards. Honest people saving for that downpayment lost out.

It wasn't actually about space or even schools for us... or for anyone we knew that moved out or were able to stay.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
Nita and Clongirl:
I understand both of your perspectives. One is saying, look at the realistic aspects of difficulties, and one is saying, regardless of difficulties it is still realistically doable. I can understand and agree with both. Thanks for both of your perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh for heavens sake, you took it as a lecture, I didn't and I hope the OP didn't. I simply mentioned things that need to be put into perspective. You always take things as a personal attack so it isn't worth argueing with you anymore. I didn't mean it that way, you are very sensitive so lets just drop it.

Nita

Old 05-18-2010, 12:29 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
Yes, we are concerned about the home size/quality issue as well. Don't know how to get around that one....we will really have to hunt I suppose. Hoping to find something fully remodeled w/upgrades, etc, don't know how easy that will be. I am guessing, 3-4K month but not sure since the salary change. We've learned our lesson from the past and will def rent first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sounds to me like you will fit right into most of what San Francisco has to offer as long as you are realistic and you certainly sound like that. AGain, my concern would be with the size of home you would like, the sq footage might not be there. You will love the diversity of the city I am sure..

I like your outlook on stealing from one to give to another.

Nita

Old 05-18-2010, 03:25 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times
Hi Davachka,

I noticed somebody else mentioned Orinda. I am from Orinda. Orinda has one of the best public schools in California with large amounts of private donations to the schools. I grew up and went to these schools, and graduated from the public high school, Miramonte. The schools had top notch teachers, with a great relationship with the community. Orinda is nestled in the hills east of SF. It is rather quiet relaxing place very close to a large city. It almost looks as if you are hundred miles away from a large city, when in fact Orinda is only a 5 miles east of Oakland and about 15 miles east of SF. The only real way one could tell that you were so close to a city is the very busy freeway, 24 that runs through town. I was very pleased that I grew up in Orinda. The public schools are basically free. Houses are expensive here because of the schools, however the financial crises finally hit orinda. A 2500+ square food home in Orinda would be about a million. Each house does have a good amount of land (back yard/front yard). Being in orinda, one could just hop on bart and be in Oakland within minutes and SF within 20-30 minutes. There are also 2 other towns close by that make up the Lamorinda area. (Lafayette, Moraga, and Orinda) Lafayette and Orinda have quick access to the freeway, with Orinda being closest to Oakland/SF. Walnut Creek which has great shopping opportunities is just a mere 5-10 min away form Orinda.

With your income, Orinda schools will save you thousands rather than spending 30K on private in SF. Orinda is close to SF, and very close to Oakland. You would live very comfortably in Orinda. Great thing is that you are right next to the City with open land and hills.

If you are really into being in the city, then perhaps this is not the best option. I don't really see a reason to live right in the city. You also have to take weather into account. Having a nice BBQ dinner with 70-80F in the evening will happen about 2 times a year in SF. In the east bay this can happen quite often in summer evenings.

I would recommend not buying straight away, seeing how you like the bay area. Yes you want to follow your dream of living in SF, but I think you should take the middle approach and really see if this is what you want. It would be a shame if you moved there, and then after a few years realized that this isn't what exactly you wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland