Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
It's well known by most respected scholars that geographic proximity to crime isn't the catalyst for social decay. The real catalyst is when there is no diffusion of wealth.

Oakland is the poster child for wealthy white people separating themselves from poor black people.
Oakland has a very strong and substancial African American professional and upper class... Everything from major league sports players, doctors, lawyers, accountants, professors, musicians business owners and elected officials.

Perhaps you are thinking of Piedmont?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,995,079 times
Quote:
That's like eating cat feces and then jumping on a plate of dog feces. There isn't much difference. Vallejo has one of the worst gang problems in the North Bay.
Calling people "feces" now are you? That's nice.

Quote:

Oakland is the poster child for wealthy white people separating themselves from poor black people.

If you knew anything about the bay area besides scouring the crime rates, you would KNOW what everyone else around here knows. SF is the poster child, not Oakland.

Quote:
Yeah, we could make fun of Mission Viejo's sky high median income, and safest city in the U.S rankings. That would be hilarious.
Or we could just make fun of the intellectually dim folks who live there because they are afraid of colors other than white and khaki.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:57 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,995,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Hypothetically speaking, if I was a person who had antisocial tendencies, I would enjoy making other people angry. The easiest way to do this without social ostracism would be to do so in an anonymous environment - say, a message board on the internet. I would then employ the following formula:

- Pick a place subject to some controversy, where its inhabitants tend to be fiercely loyal due to common public misperception
- Goad said inhabitants with brash generalizations and generalized insults (fallacy of generalization)
- Await responses, then appear to have reasonable facts and assertions so as not to be completely ignored across the board
- When conversation becomes too reasonable and de-flamed, switch tactics back to goading (employ generously ad hominem and straw man arguments and sample mightily from the availability heuristic)
- Counter only those arguments that I believe I can refute, ignore the rest (false dichotomy, false equivalence, false causality abound)
- Bask in the glow of attention I have received

The surest way to disappoint me would be to ignore me entirely, causing me to start the cycle over in a new anonymous environment. If I were reported enough times and banned, I would also be forced to stop, though I may convince myself that I've in fact achieved mastery, and have flamed them into submission.

To the OP: If your girlfriend is used to teaching in an urban environment, she'd be fine in Oakland. I have a few friends who are teachers here, and enjoy it very much - there are problems endemic to urban schools and troubled areas, but often that makes the job that much more rewarding.
I just had to see this in the thread again, it deserves repeating. Wish I had read it sooner, <sigh>

Old 05-19-2010, 01:47 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,244,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Apparently you're also dyslexic...

lower middle-middle class = lower middle TO middle class. You know how to use a hyphen right?

You come up with the dumbest comebacks...
Okay, so you don't know how to use a hyphen. It's still a misnomer on your part.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Oakland has a very strong and substancial African American professional and upper class... Everything from major league sports players, doctors, lawyers, accountants, professors, musicians business owners and elected officials.

Perhaps you are thinking of Piedmont?
What are the percentages? Where are they cited from?

Vague references to a strong "Afro-American Upper Class" composed of baseball players, and white collars isn't proof of anything.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
FYI to the uneducated Troll with a fake PHD Lower Middle Class is a real social classification just like Upper Middle Class. If you actually attended college you'd know that, but then again you claim it takes you 6 years to obtain a PhD that should not take more than 4 at the most.
It's one of the toughest graduate programs in the nation, and I finished it while raising my son alone in student housing.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:59 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
We'll be banned in a heartbeat if we did that. I've been banned for no reason on other forums with no explanation. This forum is normal, it's the other state forums with power hungry moderators that will ban you with no hesitation.
Or delete your post. I love Seattle but have had and seen others posts deleted in the Seattle forum for harmless things. One guy simply wanted to start a Seattle picture thread and that post disappeared. I like how free the California forum is. However I suppose that means we have to deal with craptastic trolls.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:02 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I agree...I'm a fool for continuing to argue with this fool!
Yeah just don't. I've quit answering this waste of vital organs and human life a while ago.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 AM

323 posts, read 696,535 times
This Post has stopped being helpful to the original person who asked a question. If I were the OP I would sadly not find this site as being of any relevance. That is too bad because when I was making my move to the Bay Area there was so much relevant information it made my transition much smoother.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 PM

527 posts, read 1,574,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I just had to see this in the thread again, it deserves repeating. Wish I had read it sooner, <sigh>
Thank you for the compliment. Trust me, I know how you feel - what keeps me in check is realizing that you're simply not dealing with a normal person, despite the occasional pretense, so normal social contracts do not apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland