Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
So you are an anonymous Berkeley product who cant even claim their grad year. Sorry Charlie I am more of one quarter Berkeley than you will ever be. Clearly you just passed through as a youngster. What private shool did you graduate form? The Athenian? Your not Berkeley
Just because I don't put my personal business out there proves nothing. Perhaps you are more Berkeley than me. So be it, it's not a title I need to have in order to feel good about myself as you seem to need. Yes, I've lived other places and learned and grew from them. Perhaps you should try the same. Let me guess, you're gonna claim to have done this right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 02:32 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Just because I don't put my personal business out there proves nothing. Perhaps you are more Berkeley than me. So be it, it's not a title I need to have in order to feel good about myself as you seem to need. Yes, I've lived other places and learned and grew from them. Perhaps you should try the same. Let me guess, you're gonna claim to have done this right?
Yeah Rabbi, just because you graduated from Cal before Gentoo doesn't mean a thing. You should both be proud that you attended one of the greatest universities in the world.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Yeah Rabbi, just because you graduated from Cal before Gentoo doesn't mean a thing. You should both be proud that you attended one of the greatest universities in the world.
I went to college in San Diego but thanks man.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM

425 posts, read 366,783 times
Quote:
Easy man Gentoo has initiated the condescending personal voice no me. I just say my piece. I graduated Berkeley High School in 1980. As a kid going to the Academy I watched naked folks showerin in the sprinklers at people park. The Mobile radio station that received the Patty Hearst's tapes was parked in a lot owned by my dad. My uncle was paid for fixing Bobby Seals car by a beating with a tire iron to his head . Huey Newton spoke at BHS while I attended and James Baldwin spoke to a predominately black audience where I stood up and called him on his reverse racism. I learned some blacks were certainly not like me, and no doubt those are the one who embrace Islam .When I came to school every day for a certain period of time I endured a black man discipling his blond ***** in the stairwell daily If I had known better I would have slain him. . I lived in an apartment studio next to the local Iran Ayatollah cell as a 18 year old on Parker and Telegraph. I am totally enmeshed in what Berkeley is and was. Step back jack cause your talking to the real deal not some visitor. Ever heard of Barrington Hall ? Phhhht ! Amateurs. And Yeah I am well connected with the North Berkeley Nobel related eggheads. It is called Privilege. I was born into it. And then there is my Neighbor Wavy Gravy ....... We are entirely different people but none the less neighbors. I am Berkeley and that is a fact maaan.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rabbi Dakota; 06-20-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 03:56 PM

52 posts, read 193,628 times
Quote:
Easy man Gentoo has initiated the condescending personal voice no me. I just say my piece. I graduated Berkeley High School in 1980. As a kid going to the Academy I watched naked folks showerin in the sprinklers at people park. The Mobile radio station that received the Patty Hearst's tapes was parked in a lot owned by my dad. My uncle was paid for fixing Bobby Seals car by a beating with a tire iron to his head . Huey Newton spoke at BHS while I attended and James Baldwin spoke to a predominately black audience where I stood up and called him on his reverse racism. I lived in an apartment studio next to the local Iran Ayatollah cell as a 18 year old on Parker and Telegraph. I am totally enmeshed in what Berkeley is and was. Step back jack cause your talking to the real deal not some visitor. Ever heard of Barrington Hall ? Phhhht ! Amateurs. And Yeah I am well connected with the North Berkeley Nobel related eggheads. It is called Privilege. I was born into it. And then there is my Neighbor Wavy Gravy ....... We are entirely different people but none the less neighbors. I am Berkeley and that is a fact maaan.

[IMG][/IMG]
Wow, this thread is getting really weird. I am from Berkeley, and this way of thinking/rambling is definitely familiar to me. I knew plenty of people who were very tied to Berkeley's 60's past, and psychadelic way of thinking. However, I see less and less of it now, and now mostly meet highly paid doctors/lawyers/business people who have million dollar homes (for good or for bad).

Old 06-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirplet View Post
Wow, this thread is getting really weird. I am from Berkeley, and this way of thinking/rambling is definitely familiar to me. I knew plenty of people who were very tied to Berkeley's 60's past, and psychadelic way of thinking. However, I see less and less of it now, and now mostly meet highly paid doctors/lawyers/business people who have million dollar homes (for good or for bad).
It's rabbi's way of thinking and rambling that hasn't allowed Berkeley to shake a lot of the image it gained in the 60's. Sure it's an uber liberal city but it's also moved itself into this century. Sadly, not all of it's residents have.

Quote:
I am Berkeley and that is a fact
This is exactly the type of thinking that has caused some in this thread to disparagingly refer to Berkeley as "narrow" in it's way of thinking. This self righteous "if you're not just like me, you're not the real thing" crap that's exactly like the narrow minded views of some areas of the south. Not much different IMO.

Berkeley is so much more than the 1960's and 70's.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
I am a season ticket holder for Bears football
That's all you needed to say. You are truly a scholar and a gentleman.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Weird , how a person has to be able to recognize bravery within the military and yet despise the machine. I know I do in some ways . No Chirpy it is not gone , only veiled and anyone who unsuspectingly buys a house here will find out they are simply being assimilated or driven out. Berkeley has a title known as the City Of Churches something that is lost on the newbies. Try as they may to simply sell houses in th North they are vacated and up for sale again. The Psychic energy here is wild. This place is the manifestation of a human brain .We have a high concentration of Psyches .The wise ones know US history is all about the demise of the NA. I am the Ghost Dance Messiah. I camp at Indian Rock. This is my heritage in part.

John Kuhn -The Chief-in his own words

Postby jonesmj » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:19 pm
I am adding this long article thinking it is interesting and historically significant to tell the story of ‘The Chief’ John Kuhn–in his own words. This article, written by him, for THE ETUDE MAGAZINE-Presser's Musical Magazine-, for the October 1920 issue, which featured ‘Music of the American Indian,’ provides an insight on his life, his feelings, and his musical experiences. Of course, after his Sousa Band experience, Kuhn went on and performed with the Isham Jones Orchestra.
I hope you enjoy it. Regards- mark jonestuba@juno.com

INDIAN MUSICIANS IN THE MODERN WORLD
“Red Cloud,” Famous Indian performer on the
Sousaphone, Tells of One of the Most Remarkable Careers
in All Musical History”

[EDITOR’S NOTE–The following story is given direct to THE ETUDE from “Red Cloud”–Mr. John Koon {sp.}–the giant Sousaphone player of the Sousa band who was born in the heart of a Sioux Reservation, and is now acknowledged one of the very finest living performers upon his instrument. The Sousaphone was named thus by the manufacturer in honor of the inventor, Mr. Sousa, and is now used in bands in all parts of the world. It is a form of the large bass helicon tuba (bombardon) so adjusted, as Mr. Sousa puts it, that its tones are not heard a half mile down the street before the band comes in sight. It affords also a wonderful refinement of the effects of its predecessor in concert bands.]

“When my mother carried me around on her back as a little papoose, probably the very last thing that my tribesmen ever dreamed of was that some day I should play in the greatest of modern bands. Certainly, there was nothing in my childhood surroundings that suggested it. I was born on the Fort Peck reservation. There were 32,000 Sioux on the reservation then and 9,000 head of cattle, at Poplar, Montana. My earliest recollection of hearing music is hearing my own mother sing. She sang at all times, especially when she was working, and I loved to listen to her and to the other women singing in the old, old songs of the tribe. Many of the songs had probably gone back for centuries, and, although they had been carried down without any means of notation, it is hardly likely that they ever varied very much in any tribe. The Indian has a respect for music that in some instances rises to a superstition. I doubt whether any of the white races have an understanding of what this deep seated love really is. The instruments are virtually limited to drums, flutes, and rattles, therefore, most of the music is singing, largely withuot words but to special syllables.
“Can any one realize the spirit of independence of the Indian and why for so many years he looked upon the Indian Bureau, at Washington, often represented by old worn out, good for nothing political henchmen, as a curse to the race? Many of these men kept their positions by causing strife and the Indian naturally detested them. The interminable blunders in trying to curb the race instead of permitting it to develop along natural lines in the rightful way can never be forgiven. Now, they realize (at least some of them do) that the Indian has within his own people men capable of managing affairs; but none of these men, owing to political intrigue, has ever been permitted to participate to the extent that the Indian is relieved of the idea that he is a subject or a ward. It relieves me to say this, as I have wanted ‘to get it out of my system’ for a long while.
“When I was a child the Government realized that certain dances and ceremonial songs might incite the tribes to warfare and therefore prohibited them. For this reason I never took part in a War Dance, although when I was a very little boy I remember two battles with the soldiers. It seems a kind of a dream now. My mother took me out on a butte where we could overlook the field and yet not be seen. I saw the braves go forth on horseback with their brilliant costumes and their warpaint and I saw in the far distance the Government troops come out in their dark blue uniforms. Then the firing commenced and I saw the braves topple off their horses and knew that many of them would never come back. It appears that our tribe was to be unjustly disciplined for horse stealing for which it was not responsible.
“The Indian, when he has the fair balance of power, will not sit down before injustice and he becomes a terrible fighter. This time, for once, the Indians were victorious and the soldiers had to retreat. The Indian does not want to be made to do things. For instance, he does not want to be made to cut his long, shiny, black braids of hair because he thinks they are much more beautiful than short hair. Again the ceremony of cutting the hair is one associated with death, mourning, and humiliation. Cutting his hair breaks his spirit. The Government knew this and forced him to cut it as it forced him to live in log houses instead of tepees and wear clothes often entirely unsuited to his life. Consequently tuberculosis stepped in and the American Indian died in the thousands. Do you wonder that he fought superior numbers against such wicked stupidity?
“The process of ‘civilization’ with the Indians must of necessity be a gradual one. When I was a little boy I was sent to Fort Shaw to be educated, then I went to the Haskell Institute where I studied modern music, later I went to Carlisle where I was the so-called star Fullback on the famous Carlisle foot-ball team for three years. Meanwhile I had always been interested in music and as my instrument was the tuba, I played it whenever I had the chance. At that time Buffalo Bill (Col. Wm. F. Cody), who understood Indians and treated them right, engaged me as a Broncho-Buster with his great show. I toured with this show through Europe, giving the crowned heads and the citizens an idea of Indian strength and endurance in what is really a very dangerous business even when one is supposed to ‘know how.’ We were kept on the go so much that I heard very little good music except that played by our own band, which was a very good one.
“When I came back to America I became more and more interested in music and for a time played in the Dennison Wheelock Indian Band and finally achieved my great ambition to play in the Sousa Band. Mr. Sousa must have an inborn feeling for the Indian because in his famous suite Dwellers in the Western World he has an Indian section which, although composed of themes which are entirely original with him, have all the characteristics of Indian music quite as though some departed Indian spirit had inspired him. Of course, the piece is a great hit every time we play it. Lieut. Sousa has an uncanny way of seeing through things and getting others to understand and execute the effects he wants. There has never been a bandmaster like him in going so far out of the way to discover hidden beauties and new effects.
“The new interest in Indian music does not surprise me. To me, its charm has been known for years. What could be more romantic that to see on horseback a brave silhouetted against the sinking sun singing a love song to some sweetheart hiding behind the door of a tepee. Once, I went out on my horse and I heard an indescribably beautiful melody played upon the Indian flute. Few people know that horses are very sensitive to music. They will hear it in the far distance and seem to be fascinated by it. My horse stopped and I went to investigate. There, high up on a cottonwood tree was a brave playing a love song to his departed love. The music seemed to reach far over the valley and it was difficult to tell whence it came. The name of the song was Cante-ma-cija and it meant “My heart is sad and sore for longing.” It was a picture there in the solitude that few could forget.
“Many composers have caught the Indian idea in modern music by the utilization of real Indian themes. When I hear such music and know that it is real and not a parody, all of the old fire comes back in me. It is the “call of the wild.” When we play such a piece as the American Indian Rhapsody by Preston Ware Orem, founded on real Indian themes, given him by Thurlow Lieurance, a piece that has been one of the big numbers with the band for a whole year, I feel as though I could jump right up and “holler.” I heard some of those same themes when I was a little papoose and they are in my blood and always will be in the blood of my children as long as the race lasts.”

jonesmj
4 valves
4 valves

* E-mail jonesmj

Old 06-20-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Illusion

Old 06-20-2010, 05:57 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
I graduated from Cal before Rabbi; however, I'm pretty sure I'm not as "Berkeley" as he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland