Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 PM

12 posts, read 23,417 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the info about the Faults. That really helps to put it in Thanks everyone for the info about the Faults. That really helps to put it in perspective. You can be in the wrong place and the wrong time for any number of reasons ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 01:26 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,951,429 times
[quote=aussieartist;14283778]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl;14281997 "
From my experience Orinda and Lafayette are where ex- San Franciscans, Oaklanders and UC Berkeley grads settle after they have kids. This is why the schools are so heavily supported by the community and are some of the best in the state."

Well that sounds like very good news. We might fit in there after all.

BTW the WASPy soccer mom comment isnt judgmental. Just a reflection of a value set that I dont happen to share. They are perfectly entitled to long, happy and fulfilling lives just like the rest of us, and I hope very much that they do. I know from having lived in an area that was populated by WASPy soccer moms that they are perfectly nice people individually (a couple I still count as friends), but as a group they can be extremely judgmental of people who aren't like them. And I'm not. Not quite sure how you extrapolate out from there to assuming I am racist, religious bigot, and a snob etc ... quite the opposite in fact.

I dont think wanting to live in an area that has like-minded people is a bad thing or reflects a judgment on anyone. I am moving to a country on the other side of the planet away from my family and friends. Is it such a crime to want to be sure that you will end up among people who are on the same wave length as you?

The comment was flippant, I agree, but in no way intended to be judgmental. Apologies to any of the said soccer moms out there if I offended you ...
Well I'm a bi-racial ex-San Franciscan, anti-organized religion, liberal, ex-punk, gardener that has an art degree and used to live in Europe and haven't had any issues with "waspy soccer moms".

I do find that made up term really horrible. I certainly don't fit your definition of a waspy soccer mom, but I certainly cart my kids around to various activities after school in my ugly kid-mobile (what choice do I have?). I guess I'm sensitive (probably overly) to liberal minded, diversity tolerant people that unintentionally express discrimination or a pre-judgment based on some stereotype that someone has created for you. I guess I've realized in my older age that you should never judge a book by it's cover.

Anyway, enough of my liberal lecture! I do really love living out here in "Lamorinda" (Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda). Sure, there's some people that seem to have their noses in the air or seem to wear all the newest designer stuff (not that I would know what that was), but I just don't associate with snobs (nor would they associate with me either!)

Old 05-22-2010, 01:59 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,321,275 times
[quote=clongirl;14290084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieartist View Post

Well I'm a bi-racial ex-San Franciscan, anti-organized religion, liberal, ex-punk, gardener that has an art degree and used to live in Europe and haven't had any issues with "waspy soccer moms".

I do find that made up term really horrible. I certainly don't fit your definition of a waspy soccer mom, but I certainly cart my kids around to various activities after school in my ugly kid-mobile (what choice do I have?). I guess I'm sensitive (probably overly) to liberal minded, diversity tolerant people that unintentionally express discrimination or a pre-judgment based on some stereotype that someone has created for you. I guess I've realized in my older age that you should never judge a book by it's cover.

Anyway, enough of my liberal lecture! I do really love living out here in "Lamorinda" (Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda). Sure, there's some people that seem to have their noses in the air or seem to wear all the newest designer stuff (not that I would know what that was), but I just don't associate with snobs (nor would they associate with me either!)
I'm not sure that it is a "liberal" thing to put down suburbia. More a life-style difference between single and married [esp married w/ children]. In LA, the single-scene is huge and the party-goers tend to laugh at "family life" as boring. I'm sure even among gay people that those who are married w/ kids are sorta considered dull by those who live the active single life of fun versus responsibility. We certainly know in California that liberals come in all kinds of favors.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:59 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,258,589 times
[quote=californio sur;14290434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

I'm not sure that it is a "liberal" thing to put down suburbia. More a life-style difference between single and married [esp married w/ children]. In LA, the single-scene is huge and the party-goers tend to laugh at "family life" as boring. I'm sure even among gay people that those who are married w/ kids are sorta considered dull by those who live the active single life of fun versus responsibility. We certainly know in California that liberals come in all kinds of favors.
Exactly! Berkeley is 90% residential and most are families. However it remains one of the most liberal places anywhere and as another poster said, the college students are generally a bit more conservative due to being transplants, than the residents are.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:10 PM

[quote=Gentoo;14292151]
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Exactly! Berkeley is 90% residential and most are families. However it remains one of the most liberal places anywhere and as another poster said, the college students are generally a bit more conservative due to being transplants, than the residents are.
I didn't know that. I figured with the huge university that Berkeley would be more single people than married. But the idea that a liberal would laugh at the suburbs seems a little off to me. The Bay Area is thoroughly liberal regardless of the county [urban or suburban]. I don't think that can be replicated anywhere else in California. LA county is liberal but the Bay Area is made up of 9 counties [all are Democratic]. Why do you suppose the entire Bay Area has so many liberals? It can't just be the universities since there are only 2 prominent universities aside from the California state universities.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:27 PM

[quote=californio sur;14292310]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

I didn't know that. I figured with the huge university that Berkeley would be more single people than married. But the idea that a liberal would laugh at the suburbs seems a little off to me. The Bay Area is thoroughly liberal regardless of the county [urban or suburban]. I don't think that can be replicated anywhere else in California. LA county is liberal but the Bay Area is made up of 9 counties [all are Democratic]. Why do you suppose the entire Bay Area has so many liberals? It can't just be the universities since there are only 2 prominent universities aside from the California state universities.
I was speaking tongue and cheek. It's perhaps 70-80% residential though. Most of the UC campus is open land. The hills that are not part of the campus (generally cragmont, Claremont and a few others) are entirely single family residential homes. That flats are also almost entirely residential with a few businesses here and there and most of these are mom and pop. There is a small area (West of 6th street) where the remnants of Berkeley's industrial era remain but this is a very narrow strip. Typical Berkeley neighborhoods look like this:

Sacramento St

College Ave

Oregon Street (this is actually the house I grew up in)

This is either Bellevue or Hillegas

Again either Bellevue or Hillegas

Sacramento and College are also busy streets but this is what most of the city looks like in the flats.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:09 PM

Beautiful photos, Gentoo! Berkeley has some nice neighborhoods that a person doesn't necessarily see by driving up Telegraph Ave. from Oakland.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Beautiful photos, Gentoo! Berkeley has some nice neighborhoods that a person doesn't necessarily see by driving up Telegraph Ave. from Oakland.
You're right and those last two pictures were about one or two blocks east of Telegraph ave.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,951,429 times
[quote=californio sur;14290434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

Yeah, believe me..if the housing prices didn't run entirely away from us in San Francisco, more families like my own would have stayed. I loved city life and all my friends that managed to buy prior to that run up in prices are still happily there...

I don't think of myself as some suburbanite but someone that just grew up and became more practical for my children's sake. I guess it's just that term "soccer mom" that kinda gets to me...It's not really used in a positive way, but comes off as some sort of "I'm far more cool and hip than you and have nothing in common with you" type of image...snarky and a put down..Not what I consider a progressive/or true liberal attitude is all about.

Perhaps I've just grown more aware after moving around so much, that "soccer moms" are just as varied and interesting as some urban artist mom (in fact, I know a lot of very interesting and cool people here that shouldn't be immediately judged on looks). Some actually make enough money as working artists/designers to be able to afford living in nicer parts of the Bay Area!

I might add that I'm very familiar with Berkeley..I LOVE Berkeley and was not "soccer mom" enough at one time to be part of the "Berkeley Square" was the place to be for upcoming local bands! Of course...then came Gilman.

Last edited by clongirl; 05-22-2010 at 09:06 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 09:11 PM

[quote=clongirl;14294831]
Quote:

Yeah, believe me..if the housing prices didn't run entirely away from us in San Francisco, more families like my own would have stayed. I loved city life and all my friends that managed to buy prior to that run up in prices are still happily there...

I don't think of myself as some suburbanite but someone that just grew up and became more practical for my children's sake. I guess it's just that term "soccer mom" that kinda gets to me...It's not really used in a positive way, but comes off as some sort of "I'm far more cool and hip than you and have nothing in common with you" type of image...snarky and a put down..Not what I consider a progressive/or true liberal attitude is all about.

Perhaps I've just grown more aware after moving around so much, that "soccer moms" are just as varied and interesting as some urban artist mom (in fact, I know a lot of very interesting and cool people here that shouldn't be immediately judged on looks). Some actually make enough money as working artists/designers to be able to afford living in nicer parts of the Bay Area!
I've never connected "soccer moms" to mean anything more than a demographic for families in the outer metro region. Meaning middle\upper middle-class in places where houses have yards\ lots of swimming pools-golf courses\ parklands\ shopping centers\ safe environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland