Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:02 PM

20 posts, read 92,569 times

Advertisements

My impression of Berkeley (I went to school - not Cal - in Berkeley in the 80s) is that the people and environment are very narrow. By that I mean that you are either "progressive" in Berkeley, or you don't fit in! To me, that is very provincial, in its own way.
Berkeley is beautiful, the weather is beautiful, it has lots of variety in housing, but I wouldn't want to live there anymore.
I prefer the diversity - true diversity - in Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,482 times
Berkley is the home of some of the most dishonrable people and they have taken office in the city government there! If I lived there, I would be so ashamed of the city leaders! The city council should beg for the Marines to forgive them in there moment of stupidity! Live by the old code of "love it or leave it"!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
true. The Hayward fault however is the one that's due next. It's last major quake was in the 1800's and it's supposed to have a major quake about every 100 years or so.
I believe that runs right through the middle of Memorial Stadium. Is that project finished yet? Haven't been out that way since last summer. Looking forward to much nicer surroundings while watching the Bears clobber Stanfurd.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 PM

334 posts, read 1,067,453 times
Berkeley is a community with a group think attitude that is very far left of center. Normally I have no issue with peoples belief systems as long as they are not violent or hateful. These days the "far left" who make up the majority of those living in Berkeley have over the past few years, become sympathizers of radical islamic terrorists, and openly anti semitic.

It is perfectly reasonable now in Berkeley to be supportive of known terrorist organizations like Hamas or collective Jihadists, to assemble freely in public vocalizing over loudspeakers and protest signage their support of radical islamic causes, hatred towards jews, the destruction of Israel and the United States, and anyone else who does not agree with them. I could never live around people who spew this type of hatred and irrational thought let alone have my children grow up them.

Berkeley has always attracted radicals, but in all my years coming to Berkeley, I've never seen anything like this level of irrationality and negativity in my life. Berkeley is moving from a "nanny state" mentality to a dictatorship.

Take a walk down Telegraph Av. and you will quickly see what I am talking about.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:19 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I believe that runs right through the middle of Memorial Stadium. Is that project finished yet? Haven't been out that way since last summer. Looking forward to much nicer surroundings while watching the Bears clobber Stanfurd.
I was there a few months ago and got pictures of the fault damage running through the stadium:

This was at the top of the stadium on the south side

Another angle of the same area.

This one is from 2006 looking up at the same place from the outside. I have others but can't find them at the moment. The most they can really do is re-patch it every few years since the west side of the stadium is moving north.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
Berkeley is a community with a group think attitude that is very far left of center. Normally I have no issue with peoples belief systems as long as they are not violent or hateful. These days the "far left" who make up the majority of those living in Berkeley have over the past few years, become sympathizers of radical islamic terrorists, and openly anti semitic.

It is perfectly reasonable now in Berkeley to be supportive of known terrorist organizations like Hamas or collective Jihadists, to assemble freely in public vocalizing over loudspeakers and protest signage their support of radical islamic causes, hatred towards jews, the destruction of Israel and the United States, and anyone else who does not agree with them. I could never live around people who spew this type of hatred and irrational thought let alone have my children grow up them.

Berkeley has always attracted radicals, but in all my years coming to Berkeley, I've never seen anything like this level of irrationality and negativity in my life. Berkeley is moving from a "nanny state" mentality to a dictatorship.

Take a walk down Telegraph Av. and you will quickly see what I am talking about.
I take a walk down Telegraph several times a year and haven't seen anything like you're describing

Old 06-17-2010, 03:12 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:

I believe you are over-stating and generalizing. Some Berkeley citizens verbalize and demonstrate over various issues. But that does not reflect on an entire city. Some Southern cities have recognition days celebrating the "Confederacy" and the KKK so does that mean the entire town is racist?

Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I believe you are over-stating and generalizing. Some Berkeley citizens verbalize and demonstrate over various issues. But that does not reflect on an entire city. Some Southern cities have recognition days celebrating the "Confederacy" and the KKK so does that mean the entire town is racist?
I agree. No one ever listens to those people in Berkeley anyway. They've always been there just as the confederate supporters have always been in the south and doing their thing. Both groups largely are only preaching to thier own choirs.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:00 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree. No one ever listens to those people in Berkeley anyway. They've always been there just as the confederate supporters have always been in the south and doing their thing. Both groups largely are only preaching to thier own choirs.
At least the "Confederate supporters" know they're bigots. Those who protest against Israel and support Hamas think they're not as well as the extreme left that supports them.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:07 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
It is perfectly reasonable now in Berkeley to be supportive of known terrorist organizations like Hamas or collective Jihadists, to assemble freely in public vocalizing over loudspeakers and protest signage their support of radical islamic causes, hatred towards jews, the destruction of Israel and the United States, and anyone else who does not agree with them.
In other words, Berkeley has a conscience.

Furthermore, I don't see anyone condenming Jews but rather the dastardly policies and laws of the Israeli Government.

Being allies with Israel has profited the US nothing but its made us a target. I find it so incredibly irritating that the Pro-Israel Lobby in DC is so powerful when our economic ties to the rest of the Middle East is so much stronger due to oil. Its because of misguided Jews in the US pounding their chests at their representatives and senators to make Israel a huge issue to the US, when in reality, Israel is not very important at all to the US in the grand scheme of our foreign policy. At all.

Israel is a rather insignifant trading partner compared to the rest of the Arab World, but their we are, acting like our existence depends on Israel's--but that is obviously NOT TRUE.

Quote:
I could never live around people who spew this type of hatred and irrational thought let alone have my children grow up them.
I appreciate Berkeley-couldnt imagine our nation a monotonous FOX NEWS informercial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland