U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 PM

9,881 posts, read 20,264,399 times

Advertisements

Was anyone a hippie in san franciscos haight-ashbury district in the 60s ? I had a neighbor that was (late 60s) & he claims he met jimi hendrix, janis joplin, jim morrison, the mamas & the papas, donovan & a few other well known musicians. His stories do sound accurate for that intresting time period. Im currently watching a movie called psych-out starring a young jack nicholson that is based in that time period.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 06:58 AM

23,598 posts, read 34,181,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Was anyone a hippie in san franciscos haight-ashbury district in the 60s ? I had a neighbor that was (late 60s) & he claims he met jimi hendrix, janis joplin, jim morrison, the mamas & the papas, donovan & a few other well known musicians. His stories do sound accurate for that intresting time period. Im currently watching a movie called psych-out starring a young jack nicholson that is based in that time period.
Not me. I just passed through due to a travel layover on my way to SE Asia in 1967, but my wife was a hippie in the Haight in 1969. We don't really talk about it.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:02 AM

9,415 posts, read 10,861,635 times
Some people have a "checkered past".

I have a paisley past.

Yes I did spend time in the Haight during the late 60s.

Saw much. Experienced much. Fun times.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,367 times
I was there and in the middle of the whole thing. I was at the Fillmore a few times a week from 66-to-70. I did lots of Owsley acid, and I was at the Human Be-IN. I went to the first acid test at Longshoremans Hall down at the Wharf.

I now live in Washington state and retired and still sane!! It was the best of times-It was the worst of times. Many changes coming quick, and you needed to be young, and roll with the times and change for good . It was all a learning experience, and we stood together for a while.
The Haight was a great place from around 65' until the winter of 67'-but, once the word hippy was invented by some reporter, and the our faces were put on the covers of Life magazine and Newsweek, it was over. The tour bus's and tourist's ruined it, as did the million runaways that flooded the city. But, we did have a few good years before that. I grew up in SF, and I was 18 in 67'-perfect time to party!~!!!??? I'm now 61 and have great memories of Jimi and Janis and many more. It was wild, to say the least.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM

3,063 posts, read 5,930,742 times
I did not live there but I was close and as teenager and took the bus to SF all the time from about age 13 and up.
SF was a magic city~my parents did not know.
It all prepared me for the Army draft in 1966.

The city has changed a lot over the years. I last visited the area just last year.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,079 posts, read 47,527,541 times
If you can remember the 60s, you weren't really there

Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM

23,598 posts, read 34,181,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
...or like me, you were overseas during the best/worst of it!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:07 AM

Yep, drafted in '66, served a total of 6 years until '72.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM

7,150 posts, read 9,601,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Funny, but not quite right. Sure. I was there AND in the military, including Vietnam. Joined at 17 and sent to Calif. for training ... then deployed from the Bay.

Ah, but my sister had a place in the Haight! (We were from east coast.) I did weekends off-base in civie's with military hair and shoes on Haight ... left for my tour overseas, stoned, from the Haight ... returned to the Bay (and protests in the Haight) recovering near 4 months at Oakland Naval Hospital ... another 3 months or so on Treasure Island and then moved back in to the Haight when discharge came through -- and got to grow out my hair, throw out my shoe polish, and get back to being stoned. Wandered around the street briefly after Vietnam and discharge, sucking on a doobie, looking at America and muttering, in amazement: "Oooh, Disneyland -- everywhere!"

Met first wife (now deceased) on Haight and started having kids -- moved on with real life. The drug / free-love thing lost its thrill quickly. But it was great for a chapter of history. Yes, we saw the Grateful Dead free in the park (they had an apartment on the street and many of us heard them practicing through open windows when they were first forming up) ... saw Joplin at the Fillmore ... and Jefferson Airplane ... the Doors ... etc etc etc ... everybody knew somebody in a band becoming famous, or at least had friends who were friends with the various bands.

The contrast of being IN the military AND staying in the Haight was -- well, who needs drugs? It was -- um -- schizophrenic! Yeah, that's the right word Later, being a war vet in Haight was its own little sub-culture, too ... but didn't last too long ... had to move on. Did.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ef/Death_of_hippie.jpg/465px-Death_of_hippie.jpg (broken link)

After leaving, we hop-scotched the country a few years with the first baby, but couldn't match the Haight experience ... maintained friendships with several friends from "the street" ... some live in S.F. still and we see each other on my trips down from Washington State (where I live in the woods on an island -- with a fair number of old, grey hippies, some of whom, as it turns out, were also were in the Haight for the 'Summer of Love' ...) Lots of us old-timers survived the experience and walk among you secretly -- beware!

Bottom line: never got Calif. out of my system ... still keep a boat in the Bay to live on as the mood strikes. (But no dope since about 1970!)

Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM

It was a different era that's for sure.
When I got drafted in Sep '66 at AFEES Oakland (that's Armed Forced Entry and Exam Station for the non vets) I had to fight my way into the station when we arrived on the bus.
The protesters with all their signs we blocking the entrance. Now I was drafted and not really gung ho about the situation but it was the law and I was just doing what the law said.
But when one of those clowns hit me with his sign he picked on the wrong guy. I took that sign away and beat him really good with it along with a few of his friend.
Yes sure, peace and love brother.
After basic training at Ft. Lewis they sent me back to Fort Ord for radio schooling. While there if and when we were allowed to leave the base on pass we had to be in dress uniform. I did not think this was a really good idea with all the protesters in the Monterey area but who can second guess the Army?
So 4 of us are walking in this park like area just trying to find our way around town. We heard some singing and headed towards it. Big mistake. It was Joan Baez with a group of protesters.
When we approached we were jumped and it was on hell of a fight.
There were also many other GIs on leave in the area that joined in to help us out.
Just before I got out in 1972 I got off a plane in SF coming home. In uniform again as I was required to be at the time traveling on orders.
I came out of the airport and was confronted by some white robed freaks who called me a baby killer. I decked two and the 3rd ran away. SF Airport Police just told me to get lost which I did quickly.
I thought it was very unfair of people to jump us just because we were in the military and have been bitter about it for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland