U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,892,288 times

Advertisements

Ahhh, don't sweat it...on any given day we can hate everyone, you won't be any different...just kidding....you are fine. This city is fairly diverse...they haven't hanged a person of color for quite some time now....you might have to go all the way to Valdosta for that kind of treatment...seriously, no one will care.

Unlike the tag line, the city is too busy to hate, I would say that the city is to busy because of traffic. Outside of that, all bets off. You can find a 5BR somewhere in this town with the depressed real estate. That's the easy part. Schools???? Not so much.....the better the schools, the higher the housing in general, not absolute.

The Bay area, as you know all too well, is simply un-sustainable. Both have to work, very, very hard just to get by. It's simply too expensive to live there unless of course, you want to get up at 4:00 AM and commute from Sacramento....I guess there is always a way.....ahem...

True commutes out West rival most Sahara crossings....however, don't be too proud of that, we have some traffic here that will make you want to take a hostage on any given rainy day...no joke. Believe it or not, Atlanta now enjoys the badge of the longest average commute in the US. 33 miles each way....that's some driving.

And although you can spend 2 hours out there one way, it's not completely uncommon for folks to spend 1 to 1.5 each way out here. The difference? Here you will own. There you will rent.

Your employment is going to make all the difference. If you know you have stable employment, try to find something that is not so far away but, something that would afford you the chance to drive to another job should the first one not pan out.

Much like the West Coast, you have to plan where you work and take your commute into heavy consideration. The metro Atlanta area is now comprised of 17 counties. In 1983 there were about 1.7 million in the area, now there are approximately 4.2 and no real new highways to speak of, just somewhat wider. It has been a recipe for disaster in regards to commutes.

All the bickering about it aside, the city still enjoys one of the lower overall costs of living of any major metropolitan area and by major, I mean in excess of 3 million residents.

Closing note on the racism. Don't let it become a self-fulfilling prophecy as some have. You control your destiny, not some crackpot with some time on his/her hands, Black or White. There's a fair amount of folks who have made a living on keeping it alive. It's the ultimate perversion of the human spirit and treatment of those around you. All too often, plenty are too blind to see that.

Does it exist? You bet. Both ways. You typically hear the traditional view around here. So much so that no one really listens anymore. Do what YOU need to do for your family and skip the rest. You would be wasting time. Something no race can afford to do anymore.

Welcome and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto5 View Post
I am considering moving my family from the Bay Area to the Atlanta area. We have a large family and are tired of working hard only to feel as if we are still not getting anywhere. I would appreciate insight from anyone who has lived there. My husband is Filipino and I am African American. Will our family be accepted? Is there still a lot of racism out there? What areas do you recommend we consider for good schools and reasonable housing prices? We are hoping to get a 5 bedroom for $300k or less. All advice and opinions are welcome. Is Atlanta a good option for Bay Area natives looking for a better quality of life? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland