U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2010, 02:44 PM
 
8 posts, read 28,873 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I am considering moving my family from the Bay Area to the Atlanta area. We have a large family and are tired of working hard only to feel as if we are still not getting anywhere. I would appreciate insight from anyone who has lived there. My husband is Filipino and I am African American. Will our family be accepted? Is there still a lot of racism out there? What areas do you recommend we consider for good schools and reasonable housing prices? We are hoping to get a 5 bedroom for $300k or less. All advice and opinions are welcome. Is Atlanta a good option for Bay Area natives looking for a better quality of life? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2010, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Northern California
3,708 posts, read 14,178,970 times
Reputation: 1914
Try the Atlanta forum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,081 times
Reputation: 10
i lived in atlanta a bit and i could not stand the lack of public transportation. the city is a sprawling nightmare of sprawl that i wish never to impose on any native san franciscan. that said, if you're accustomed to driving, then it may not be too bad of an adjustment for you.

regarding racism, atlanta proper is fairly progressive and you would not have a problem. i'll leave it at that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 5,077,243 times
Reputation: 538
5 bedrooms for 300k or less will put you into high crime neighborhoods like Oakland, or Richmond if you don't want to cross two bridges to get to S.F. Both are cities you definitely want to stay out of.

Further out there is Vallejo, but it's basically a high crime, gang infested area as well for one half of the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
6,761 posts, read 8,279,279 times
Reputation: 5116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
5 bedrooms for 300k or less will put you into high crime neighborhoods like Oakland, or Richmond if you don't want to cross two bridges to get to S.F. Both are cities you definitely want to stay out of.

Further out there is Vallejo, but it's basically a high crime, gang infested area as well for one half of the city.
The OP is looking to move away from the Bay Area to Atlanta, not the other way around. There are parts of Oakland which are quite nice and very desirable, but they might be too expensive for the OP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 03:12 PM
 
282 posts, read 358,859 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
The OP is looking to move away from the Bay Area to Atlanta, not the other way around. There are parts of Oakland which are quite nice and very desirable, but they might be too expensive for the OP.
Mr Trashtastic is a troll with a cracker jack box PhD promoted so that naive board members can feel like his opinion means something, when in reality it means less than his existence which is really low already.


Now about Atlanta, if you've never been there it will be a culture shock for you and your husband, the city is majority Black and things are very different in terms of the social scene. There is not much other than Black or White people a few Mexicans/Central Americans now with the housing construction boom that has taken place since the mid 90s. Outside of the downtown area, the city seems very rural and heavily covered by tree's. My favorite area of Atlanta is the Midtown & 5 points area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 5,077,243 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
The OP is looking to move away from the Bay Area to Atlanta, not the other way around. There are parts of Oakland which are quite nice and very desirable, but they might be too expensive for the OP.
If you can find a home in the Oakland area that isn't next to killing fields for 300k, by all means, make a recommendation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2010, 10:18 PM
 
9 posts, read 19,948 times
Reputation: 17
Default Move from Bay Area to Metro Atlanta

Quote:
Now about Atlanta, if you've never been there it will be a culture shock for you and your husband, the city is majority Black and things are very different in terms of the social scene. There is not much other than Black or White people a few Mexicans/Central Americans now with the housing construction boom that has taken place since the mid 90s. Outside of the downtown area, the city seems very rural and heavily covered by tree's. My favorite area of Atlanta is the Midtown & 5 points area.
Are you serious! How sickening is that? What kind of nut place is this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2010, 01:18 AM
 
1,263 posts, read 3,852,323 times
Reputation: 640
I guess that depends on where you live. Atlanta has MARTA with 4 lines covering 48 miles, so if you live near a station, you will be OK to take the public transporation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. macaque View Post
i lived in atlanta a bit and i could not stand the lack of public transportation. the city is a sprawling nightmare of sprawl that i wish never to impose on any native san franciscan. that said, if you're accustomed to driving, then it may not be too bad of an adjustment for you.

regarding racism, atlanta proper is fairly progressive and you would not have a problem. i'll leave it at that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 10:09 AM
 
282 posts, read 358,859 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastChick View Post
Are you serious! How sickening is that? What kind of nut place is this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top