Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 19,099 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I will be relocating from the east coast to the east bay area where each of us would be commuting to Palo Alto and Davis. It seems like it's quite a bit of driving to do daily for both of us, so I would like to hear what commuting to those two cities would be like.

We are also trying to decide where to live in the east bay. Walnut Creek seems like somewhere in the middle and seems like one of safer places. We are both very young (just graduated from college), so affordability is also important. We are mainly looking for safety and easy accessibility and willing to sacrifice on some "fun." We both have cars and figured paying gas and bridge tolls daily would be still much cheaper than renting two apartments in PA and Davis. Walnut Creek kind of seemed to fit in this category except I wouldn't mind if rent could be a bit cheaper.

Any other cities that we should check out around the area?

Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 03:55 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,949,054 times
Well, I suppose Walnut Creek would be the best option in terms of some sort of middle ground, but my guess is that one of you, at some very near point is going to be forced into quitting a job over that commute...really, really, horrible going either way. Both of you will be spending 3-4hrs on the road every day with the traffic. I suggest that one of you start seeking out closer employment to where you finally decide on living.

My husband did the Palo Alto thing for a while form the East Bay... that was about an hour and a half or more each way on a good day. Not great for any relationship long term. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the advice. It's true my fiance was not very thrilled about the idea of having to commute everyday. Maybe it'd be best to get two separate places after all and spend weekends together.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:25 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,949,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_faerie View Post
Thanks for the advice. It's true my fiance was not very thrilled about the idea of having to commute everyday. Maybe it'd be best to get two separate places after all and spend weekends together.
You actually might love each other a little easier and be more likely to stay together that way! Dealing with two stressed out, grumpy commuters that have to do it all again in the morning is hard on relationships.

It's such a hard decision to sort through and figure out, so I feel for you!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 PM

527 posts, read 1,572,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_faerie View Post
I commuted from Pleasant Hill to the peninsula, north of Palo Alto, for a year. That commute was 1.5 - 2 hours each way, one time I think I clocked the trip at 2.5 hours. I have no idea how I lasted that long - just eager because it was my first career job fresh out of college, I guess! I drove an SUV at the time, and it was costing me $400/month in gas, plus $60 in tolls, not to mention wear and tear.

I actually think renting two places would be cheaper. Make the Davis apartment the spacious place to relax in on the weekend, with a smaller place in Palo Alto. I highly recommend it, for your sanity's sake at least! Both of those routes have gobs of traffic.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
I commuted from Pleasant Hill to the peninsula, north of Palo Alto, for a year. That commute was 1.5 - 2 hours each way, one time I think I clocked the trip at 2.5 hours. I have no idea how I lasted that long - just eager because it was my first career job fresh out of college, I guess! I drove an SUV at the time, and it was costing me $400/month in gas, plus $60 in tolls, not to mention wear and tear.

I actually think renting two places would be cheaper. Make the Davis apartment the spacious place to relax in on the weekend, with a smaller place in Palo Alto. I highly recommend it, for your sanity's sake at least! Both of those routes have gobs of traffic.
Thanks for sharing your experience! We are deciding against the idea of commuting now. Since we have very fuel efficient cars, it would be still cheaper for commuting, but I guess not cheaper if I value my sanity

But I just (10 minutes ago as of the time of posting!) got a new job offer in Santa Cruz which is much much closer than Palo Alto, so now I have another possibility!

Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 PM

386 posts, read 794,519 times
I'm confused. Davis is off the table, but Santa Cruz and Palo Alto are on? If so, that's optimum. If it's Davis and Santa Cruz, it's worse.

Clongirl is right and it's ugly. I would actually look to share housing for the person going to Davis and stay there Tues night through Friday morn so you can have weekends together. It would be cheaper than having an apt alone. It's not worth it to spend your life in traffic.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglenet View Post
I'm confused. Davis is off the table, but Santa Cruz and Palo Alto are on? If so, that's optimum. If it's Davis and Santa Cruz, it's worse.

Clongirl is right and it's ugly. I would actually look to share housing for the person going to Davis and stay there Tues night through Friday morn so you can have weekends together. It would be cheaper than having an apt alone. It's not worth it to spend your life in traffic.
I meant to say closer "to" Palo Alto! Oops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland