Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There's nothing to defend.

Its a fact, Mission Viejo is small potatoes when it come to food, art and nightlife compared to Oakland. In fact, my neighborhood alone spanks MV something fierce.

Just be happy with Del Taco or whatever it is you guys eat.
Mission Viejo is obviously not comparable with Oakland as a whole for obvious reasons. There's no ghetto in Mission Viejo.

But compare Mission Viejo to Rockridge, Clairmont, Montclair, etc. and it's pretty obvious that those areas are far more cultured with far better food.

How many non-chain restaurants does Mission Viejo have? Maybe just one little family owned Mexican restaurant (not that there's anything wrong with that but virtually every community in SoCal has that) and nothing else?

How many bars does Mission Viejo have? How much art activity? How much history?

The only thing that MV and Oakland have in common is that both are in California and both have historical associations with the Hells Angels (who ran South OC before the upscale tract homes came in and erased the area's previous history)

I've been accused of being an Oakland basher in the past and there are plenty of things I don't like about Oakland, but Mission Viejo is nowhere near in the same category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:28 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Really... because I was posting pics of million dollar homes.

And what's your point? People in the entire US masturbate over Beverly Hills 24/7... people aren't allowed to like nice houses? This coming from a guy living in Mission Viejo which is the equivalent of a place like Pleasanton is baffling... the only reason people move to a place like Mission Viejo is to be surrounded by other rich people who only care about money and nothing else. Trust me, I would know... being from Redwood City, a needle in the bay's richest haystack, I know exactly what I'm talking about...
You're concentrating on the tail, not the head.

People don't move to nice communities because they want to be next to rich people, it's because they don't want to be next to ghetto people. The fact that many rich people prefer quiet, nice communities, is only a commonly shared desire, not behavior.

As someone who has lived next to rich people before, certain rich individuals can be just as bothersome as your common ghetto thug at times.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Mission Viejo is obviously not comparable with Oakland as a whole for obvious reasons. There's no ghetto in Mission Viejo.

But compare Mission Viejo to Rockridge, Clairmont, Montclair, etc. and it's pretty obvious that those areas are far more cultured with far better food.

How many non-chain restaurants does Mission Viejo have? Maybe just one little family owned Mexican restaurant (not that there's anything wrong with that but virtually every community in SoCal has that) and nothing else?

How many bars does Mission Viejo have? How much art activity? How much history?

The only thing that MV and Oakland have in common is that both are in California and both have historical associations with the Hells Angels (who ran South OC before the upscale tract homes came in and erased the area's previous history)

I've been accused of being an Oakland basher in the past and there are plenty of things I don't like about Oakland, but Mission Viejo is nowhere near in the same category.
Mission Viejo is within 5-10 minutes of Laguna Hills, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, Irvine, and Newport Beach. There are literally dozens of world respected restaurants in South County. You simply don't know much about the culinary establishments in the area.

Now if you're making the point that there is more "socio-economic" diversity in Oakland, then that's partially true (even though it's basically rich whites/asians and poor blacks/latinos).

Old 05-26-2010, 11:00 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
All cities with high percentages of black populations. That community needs to really work together now and stop killing each other. It's time their community takes accountability for their actions and stop only blaming the past and white people.

Hmmmm....

That is an interesting observation. It will most likely never change. It's bred into people. You can look at most people who are involved with crime regardless of race and that is usually the lifestyle they were brought up in. It's just unfortunate that your observation of race is dead on.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL..yes Im sure that squad will chime in.

Anyway,
Oakland also fell out of the Top 10 for overall murder rate

I certainly hope we are in for a long term decline in crime across the board.
wow when i look at the murder rates of the top 10 in america, its really laughable when comparing to other countries in the world lol.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:09 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
All cities with high percentages of black populations. That community needs to really work together now and stop killing each other. It's time their community takes accountability for their actions and stop only blaming the past and white people.
i have known a lot of thugs here in brooklyn and none blame the white man , i think you focus on the media to much or you are just a huge fan of al sharpton , a lot of these thugs could care about whites or any other race. their just ignorant people who have no regard to human life. and they also do not represent the majority of the black race.

so i wouldnt call it a community killing each other i would call it thugs killing thugs gang members killing gang members.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
wow when i look at the murder rates of the top 10 in america, its really laughable when comparing to other countries in the world lol.
yes, we suck compared to other developed nations.

And we are great compared to many developing nations.

America is a land of contrasts to say the least.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 AM

Oakland has a comparable murder rate to Fallujah, Iraq.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,743,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post

The fact that you would compare ANY American city to a city that's just coming out of wartime is laughable...

Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
And Im sure Fallujah also has better food options than Mission Viejo.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland