Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Dude, since youclaim to know so much and want real stats. Take the demographics of the folks that have been murdered in Oakland over the last 5 years. Make it 10 years. Plot the stats. You will find that they are overwhelmingly the following

Young - under 30
Male
Black/Hispanic

The majority of victims participated in behaviors that put one "at risk". Guns, drugs, petty crimes, etc...

Those are the facts.

ETA: where is that ignore button???

AH..... found it!
So basically you're saying since it's only young black and Hispanics getting shot, then it's okay to move into a high crime area?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
So basically you're saying since it's only young black and Hispanics getting shot, then it's okay to move into a high crime area?
Well, 9 out of 10 homicides in Oakland are criminals killing other criminals while engaged in illegal activities. I think around 80% of homicides in Oakland occur between midnight and 4am and are usually drug related. Think drug dealers killing each other.

I think last year, there were less about 10 homicides in the city that can be characterized as 'innocent' deaths, where someone was innocently minding their business when they were killed in a robbery or the victim of a stray bullet or something like that.

SF actually has far more(both in percentage and number) 'innocent' deaths than Oakland does.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 AM

Those type of statistics are not tracked by any metric provided to Law Enforcement. Just admit that you made that up.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Those type of statistics are not tracked by any metric provided to Law Enforcement.
Actually Oakland does.

Last year:
Oakland had 108 homicides, 100 were murders(meaning 8 were considered justified), 85% of the murder victims were either Black or Hispanic, only 12 were linked to robberies. The overwhelming majority were killings where the killer and his victim knew each other. 54 murder victims were between the ages of 18-30.

So basically if you are Black or Hispanic between the ages of 18-30-they are most likely to be murdered in Oakland.

And I was wrong about the time of day, its actually between 8pm-12am when most murders occur-my bad.

Its all very interesting.

Quote:
Just admit you made it up
hahahaha...such irony.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:31 PM

Completely uncited and without reference. Also even if your made up statistics were true, you're basically making the point that it's okay to move to Oakland because only black people and mexicans kill each other.

That sounds PC.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,594 times
Well, I'm Black and from East Oakland. So yeah, I'm pretty un politically correct. Frankly, you don't run this board. We don't answer to you. No one has to cite sources because YOU said so. You want citations, pull your own stats.

You know, the ignore feature doesn't work when you quote someone. Rats!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Look, I don't understand why you're being so aggressive and combative. I just want people who are thinking of moving to Oakland to have the entire truth so they can make an informed decision. I've brought up cited statistics from the FBI showing that the violent crime rate in Oakland is extremely high, making it a dangerous city.

So far the "Oakland is perfectly safe" crew only rebuttal is saying "Only blacks and hispanics are getting shot up" so it's okay to move here as long as you aren't one of those.

I don't honestly know how to respond to such a racist implication.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
most of oaklands homicide victims are young males of black or hispanic descent who are on parole probation or have criminal record.

if you do not fall into this demographics profile your risk of homicide in oakland is very low

Old 06-07-2010, 02:20 PM

74 posts, read 149,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Oh, and the grass valley and sequoyah areas
And Toler Heights and Jefferson.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
you're basically making the point that it's okay to move to Oakland because only black people and mexicans kill each other.
No, Im basically saying that there is an incredibly specific demographic that is BY FAR the biggest victim of murder in Oakland.

Black or Latino between the ages of 18-30, below Macarthur Bl between 23rd Av and the San Leandro border, btwn the hours of 8pm-12am.

85% of Oakland's murder victims fit under this exact demographic.

Even then, most murder victims actually know their killers, if even as an acquaintance.

Not saying all of this is good-in fact its very sad.

But you actually cheapen the conversation by acting like this is some tit-for-tat competition. In reality this is a serious problem and your contribution to the conversation is to troll Oakland threads, trying to oversimplify and condescendingly speak on a topic you apparently know very little about.

I've gotta tell ya, its really strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland