Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 08:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Can someone please remind me how dangerous East Oakland is?

I never hear anyone mention it on the news, on the web, or in newspapers.

I feel like someone should be spending hours of their free time looking up crimestats and posting them on an online forum for me to see. I'm guessing that everyone who lives in Oakland has no idea how close to death we all are.

Perhaps someone who lives in a safe, suburban community in Orange county could do this tedious task...
Good suggestion! I too think its about time someone FINALLY listed the crime that exists there b/c no one in and around Oakland seems to have any idea. I live only about 20 miles away from Oakland and I have no idea whatsoever what the crime is like there. There hasn't been any publicity covering this topic so most people are unaware of the level of crime there. I mean, has ANYONE heard yet that its a complete war zone? I wouldn't have known even that had I not stumbled into this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
I suddenly have an urge to go to the PETA message board and post about delicious, delicious bacon. Is trolling contagious?
It must be! That's so funny you mentioned that b/c I was just about to sign off here and look for some gay rights and female empowerment sites to let those people know that God doesn't love any of them and that they should know their role beneath the whim of the white Christian male. I hope I don't run out of free time before I get a chance to give my 2 cents (which will turn into $150,000 by the time I finish) to these demographics that I'm not a part of. Man, why did it take me so long to see the purpose and usefulness of trolling?!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT Oakland View Post
You're right, my apologies, here this will help you, Fear, Death, Murder, Crime, Oakland, Gangs, Drug Dealers, West, East, North, Baghdad, FBI Stats, Fallujah, Paranoia.
WTH? How are you going to neglect to mention the fact that white people will no longer make up 75% of the US population by the year 2015 and will practically be an endangered species in THEIR OWN LAND??! Don't forget other key words like 'Heil Hitler' and 'David Duke.'

Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
IGNORE (based on both this and many other threads).
AMEN!! I have had him there for several months now (aka 90% of the time he's supposedly lived in SF), and I encourage everyone else to stop giving the little baby any more attention. People give him too much credit treating him like a human adult.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
That may be the case, but in this situation, they had no knowledge of this to draw off of and so the point is absolutely moot.

Furthermore, I just watched the video again a couple times from different angles. There is absolutely NO justification for what happened. He's wrestled to the ground, beaten, restrainted (with Officer Pirone on his neck), and then shot in the back while still restrained: it's about as clear as day.

Why is it that people are trying to bring Grant's past into this, when it just plain doesn't have anything to do with this particular situation?
^^THIS 100%.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:56 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
^^THIS 100%.
Thank you!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
You are just avoiding the truth! If you see a bunch of unruly but well dressed drunk people of the 'right' skin color would you expect cops to aggressively subdue them?
Hell Yeah! Priveleged White little Frat Boys make my blood boil and a bunch of them drunk on my BART train spells nothing but trouble. The cops should knock them for a loop just like anyone else.

Quote:
I mean there are crazy drunk people in many neighborhood streets in SF (Marina & Mission) and many times there groups of loud, obnoxious, unruly drunk people in Muni during events. What do you think are the chances that cops will get tough on them if they dont look 'urban' or 'ghetto'???
I don't know the chances. I only know what I wish to have happen and that is anyone who is threatening, disturbing, or intimidating law abiding people need to get their assess kicked.
Quote:
The cops grossly overestimated the threat posed by Oscar Grant because the way he looked and there is no evidence to show he was even fighting!
the way he looked. You are kidding right? This took place in Oakland. People dress like that all the time. He did not stand out because of his clothing nor his color. Resisting arrest is just as bad as fighting. You can call the ACLU later, but in the mean time, when a cop says put your hands behind your back, you really should do it. Then you can explain how they are totally wrong in thinking you were the bad guy. I am sure the loads of passengers who called the cops would also tell them you were not the people fighting and threatening passengers on the train.

Quote:
Then the cops instigated them by being abusive and overly aggressive.
Cops can't really instigate anything. They were RESPONDING to the actions of Grant and friends. I saw 3 cops. I saw 2 guys on the ground and I SAW 3 other friends coming up on their backs. Really? You would approach a cop when they are trying to arrest your friend? Who the hell do they think they are that they can just do whatever you want and come up on a cop while arresting another individual? Umm,,, they have big sticks/tasers/guns/Oh and the right to enforce the law, and unless you do as well, you would be mindful to step the hell back. The cop doesn't know if you have a gun/knife. They were called to the station and they were doing their job. What do YOU do for a living? Have you ever had a nasty customer go off on you? Are you allowed to talk smack back to them? Why or Why Not? Yeah they were doing their jobs. They don't have a vendetta against Oscar or his friends. They get calls like this all the time. I've been both the punk ass who others called the cops on and the person calling the cops.
[/quote]Why did the cop even want to tase Grant when he was clearly lying on his stomach with two thuggish cops twice his size sitting on him?? [/quote]

People testified that he was resisting arrest. So I would have to go with the answer, don't resist arrest and they won't accidentally shoot you in the back OR tase you Or whatever else they may do to you. Just for future reference. Doesn't make you guilty of whatever they are arresting you for, doesn't mean you have to like it. It means, they are doing their job protecting the public when the public asks for help and if they aren't sure who the thugs are and happen to pick you, then you can explain it later. But if you are SO innocent, then what is the big deal? I have been detained because they thought I was the bad guy. I didn't fight them on it. I waited to talk to them and explained it. You know, like civilized people do.

Quote:
So I would have to ask what made these white cops think that Grant deserved such harsh treatment?
Some of the cops were not white. What do you make of that?

Quote:
You can say that they were tough cops but I assume you know very well that the shooting would not have happened if Oscar was white and wearing Dockers! Its unfortunate you fail to see the real issue here..
I don't know that. I don't know if they were asian would it have went down the same. Or if they were mexican? Or if they were Indian? Or German?

You can speculate about it. But the tape shows they resisted arrest and it shows they were outnumbered and it was chaotic.

Last edited by Taboo2; 06-30-2010 at 10:00 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
You are portraying this thuggish cop as some sort of saint who just had an accident and maybe you can justify your position. I see the cop as a dimwit, racist on a powertrip and tell me why my thinking is incorrect?? Can you?
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. Thugs and Cops alike.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. Thugs and Cops alike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its like they think they can get away with it because its Oakland.

I wish the communities in Downtown, around the lake and in other high profile areas of town would meet and plan ways to protect their areas. Maybe put up roadblocks at strategic points and help board up storefronts.

Most of all, I think its important to reach out to the Oaklanders themselves who might be inclined to participate in these antics.

This one rhetoric lady from I think they are called "Justice by Any Means" is quite vitriolic in her commentary on threatening violence and vandalism. Ive seen her on the net a few times and it makes me mad that she can be so coy about damaging the property of innocent people who have nothing to do with this trial at all.
I know someone who grew up with Grant and he said that the ACTIVIST are full of it and that those rally's the family pretty much did not want Oscar used to further their AGENDA against the police.

I would think the rioters would want to take it to Atherton and Danville to really make their point. But I think they are worried because people their won't stand for that.

I know some WHITE people who partook in the riots in LA for the Rodney King thing and they stole a TV because it was the perfect time to get away with it. They destroyed their neighborhoods for no good reason.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

I would think the rioters would want to take it to Atherton and Danville to really make their point. But I think they are worried because people their won't stand for that.
Pretty much. Danville residents actually care about their community and know the effects a riot has, physically, and perception wise.

Oakland residents riot at nearly any juncture. For instance...

Raiders win the AFC =

It's funny because the OPD, understaffed and underfunded, are already spending lots of money to prepare for the Meserhle verdict. Money and resources that could be used for cleaning up the already high crime in the city.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/us...nd.html?src=mv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland