Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM

72 posts, read 300,248 times

Advertisements

Might not happen, but it is possible I'll start working for a company in San Mateo in a few months, and my family and I will relocate to the Bay Area from out of state.

We love SF and the Bay Area and have long dreamed of living there. Our kids are not yet school age but we do want to find a community that's safe and has good schools (will consider private school if necessary).

We're more city folk than suburban folk, but we're open to it. We've traveled to the Bay Area many times and we're partial to East Bay (Berkeley in particular), but again, as newbies we're open to other areas.

What towns or neighborhoods do you recommend and why? Assume a home purchase budget of $800k give or take.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,717 times
I suggest you look at Homes in San Bruno,Millbrae,San Mateo,Foster City,Belmont,San Carlos, Redwood City. All of these towns along the peninsula are close to your potential job. There are plenty potential matches, just depends what your priorities , hobbies , ect are.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM

282 posts, read 382,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
I suggest you look at Homes in San Bruno,Millbrae,San Mateo,Foster City,Belmont,San Carlos, Redwood City. All of these towns along the peninsula are close to your potential job. There are plenty potential matches, just depends what your priorities , hobbies , ect are.
I agree plus they are close to SF and don't have a typical suburban feel , good weather too.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM

72 posts, read 300,248 times
Thanks so much for the quick and thoughtful replies. I'll add those towns/cities to the list when we go for our exploratory trip soon. Much appreciated!

How would the commute be if we chose to live in SF itself, like Noe Valley or a similar neighborhood? I know we'd need to live in a much smaller place, and we'd probably head out to a more suburban area when the kids are of school age, but if the drive back and forth wouldn't be too brutal it might be a fun way to spend the first year there.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 PM

282 posts, read 382,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBorn View Post
Thanks so much for the quick and thoughtful replies. I'll add those towns/cities to the list when we go for our exploratory trip soon. Much appreciated!

How would the commute be if we chose to live in SF itself, like Noe Valley or a similar neighborhood? I know we'd need to live in a much smaller place, and we'd probably head out to a more suburban area when the kids are of school age, but if the drive back and forth wouldn't be too brutal it might be a fun way to spend the first year there.
San Mateo is fairly close, with traffic it would probably take 30-45 mins at the most.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,717 times
From Redwood City( the furtherest south) to San Francisco is no more than 30 minutes drive to anywhere in the city. From San Francisco can add anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes due to traffic in the city to your commute back down the peninsula.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:09 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
If you could take 280 from the city, your commute wouldn't be very long - especially since you'd be going against the heavy traffic (opposite commute is much more common). I drive from the Sunset/SFSU area to Redwood City via 280 every week, and it only takes me 20 minutes... of course I drive 80mph the whole way, but that's another story.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
P.S. I actually grew up in San Mateo Park, and can't really complain... it's a great place to raise a family, although I too am more of a city person (hence the reason I now live in SF).

Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBorn View Post
Might not happen, but it is possible I'll start working for a company in San Mateo in a few months, and my family and I will relocate to the Bay Area from out of state.

We love SF and the Bay Area and have long dreamed of living there. Our kids are not yet school age but we do want to find a community that's safe and has good schools (will consider private school if necessary).

We're more city folk than suburban folk, but we're open to it. We've traveled to the Bay Area many times and we're partial to East Bay (Berkeley in particular), but again, as newbies we're open to other areas.

What towns or neighborhoods do you recommend and why? Assume a home purchase budget of $800k give or take.

Thanks so much!
I think you'd find that a lot of the area between SF and SJ does not feel like a typical suburban community. Instead it feels like a bunch of small towns all squeezed together. Some of those towns are interesting, and some not. A lot of folks happen to like San Mateo. It has a nice downtown, lots of shopping nearby, and plenty of restaurants.

San Francisco can be a great place. Keep in mind that weather in San Francisco won't be as warm and sunny as the rest of the area. That shouldn't be a problem if you're coming from the northeast. It's just that some people move there expecting it to be sunny like San Jose, and then are surprised when the fog comes in. You are probably getting a smaller lot size in the city, but of course, you're close to all the events, restaurants, etc that SF has to offer.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you could take 280 from the city, your commute wouldn't be very long - especially since you'd be going against the heavy traffic (opposite commute is much more common). I drive from the Sunset/SFSU area to Redwood City via 280 every week, and it only takes me 20 minutes... of course I drive 80mph the whole way, but that's another story.
If you have to get on 380, that's another story.. pretty heavy approaching the junction, across, and then heavy on 101 all the way down to San Mateo.. and the roads through Hillsborough from 280 can get you lost very easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland