Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 02:32 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

This is inching closer to completion, scheduled to open this fall...
Test train for BART Oakland airport connector unveiled - ContraCostaTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM

507 posts, read 917,452 times
Looking at the map, if HT was converted to non-industrial use, almost all of the remaining port and industrial area would be West of the site. Certainly the trucks could be routed to avoid conflict with pedestrians coming from the North and East of HT (from BART, streetcar, JLS ferry, etc). I'd be more concerned about the heavy rail streetrunning down 1st

And the cranes are AWESOME.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
Looking at the map, if HT was converted to non-industrial use, almost all of the remaining port and industrial area would be West of the site. Certainly the trucks could be routed to avoid conflict with pedestrians coming from the North and East of HT (from BART, streetcar, JLS ferry, etc). I'd be more concerned about the heavy rail streetrunning down 1st

And the cranes are AWESOME.
LOL

Hopefully they will grow on me but for now I think they play into the whole port thing which I think is unnecessary and really defeats the purpose of creating something new and better.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 PM

No, I think the cranes are a brilliant touch. It's one thing that differentiates the site from something as generic as the Coliseum or a random location in suburban Santa Clara County, and also distinguish from the somewhat different culture of San Francisco. The cranes stand for Oakland's (and the EB's) industrial and working-class history; Transcontinental railroad, Kaiser industries, the Navy, shipyards, construction, auto factories, canning, petrochemicals, etc. A reminder of the past even as the entire Bay Area completes the transition to Greater Silicon Valley.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
No, I think the cranes are a brilliant touch. It's one thing that differentiates the site from something as generic as the Coliseum or a random location in suburban Santa Clara County, and also distinguish from the somewhat different culture of San Francisco. The cranes stand for Oakland's (and the EB's) industrial and working-class history; Transcontinental railroad, Kaiser industries, the Navy, shipyards, construction, auto factories, canning, petrochemicals, etc. A reminder of the past even as the entire Bay Area completes the transition to Greater Silicon Valley.
Good thing they're only looking at Diridon.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Good thing they're only looking at Diridon.
Yes, a site with all the character and charm of the SAP Center.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:49 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Yes, a site with all the character and charm of the SAP Center.
Aren't you the one waxing poetic about industrial shipping cranes? And we're discussing a team that plays in a half-century-old multi-purpose stadium on Hegenberger?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:02 PM

I'm glad this story has gained traction in the media. From today:

Oakland Business Leaders Move Ahead With Stadium Plans « CBS San Francisco

San Jose has apparently filed an appeal against the lower court's decision which I think is expected, but I am cautiously optimistic by the story above. For too long the city just sat on the sidelines and allowed Lew Wolff to define the conversation on the subject and now we are seeing a very proactive mayor and group of investors WITH LOTS OF MONEY and that is actually remarkable given how long this has taken.

But then, nothing is set in stone so we shall wait and see.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:32 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I'm glad this story has gained traction in the media. From today:

Oakland Business Leaders Move Ahead With Stadium Plans « CBS San Francisco

San Jose has apparently filed an appeal against the lower court's decision which I think is expected, but I am cautiously optimistic by the story above. For too long the city just sat on the sidelines and allowed Lew Wolff to define the conversation on the subject and now we are seeing a very proactive mayor and group of investors WITH LOTS OF MONEY and that is actually remarkable given how long this has taken.

But then, nothing is set in stone so we shall wait and see.
Whether the A's get a stadium in Oakland, or get one in SJ, I would be only too glad to see MLB's ridiculous legalized monopoly crash and burn.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Whether the A's get a stadium in Oakland, or get one in SJ, I would be only too glad to see MLB's ridiculous legalized monopoly crash and burn.
I love SJ to pieces but forgive me if I hope that justice in the MLB happens AFTER the A's are playing at a new ballpark on Oakland's waterfront.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland