Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 08:52 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,588,440 times

Advertisements

99designs Relocating Company Headquarters to Oaklands Uptown Neighborhood

Quote:
99designs, the largest global marketplace for graphic design, today announced plans to move its corporate headquarters from San Francisco to Oakland in spring 2015...The decision to move to Oakland was inspired by several factors, including our desire to be part of the citys flourishing art, design and tech community.
99designs, The Global Leader in Logo Design, Relocating Company Headquarters to Oaklands Uptown Neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:55 PM

S.F. developer proposes 330 apartments at Jack London Square

Quote:
After paying more than $20 million for the site, the developer is planning to bring the all-market-rate rental project to the Planning Commission by the summer and start construction by early next year...The mid-rise project will likely be seven stories – five stories of wood-frame construction on top of a two-story podium. Todd Vitzthum, who marketed the site for the brokerage Cushman & Wakefield, said the 90,000-square-foot property is big enough to allow the project to make money.
Carmel Partners proposes 330 apartments at Jack London Square, one of Oakland's largest projects - San Francisco Business Times

Old 03-26-2015, 09:01 PM

Developer takes key step in revival of 935-unit project at former East Bay Navy site

Quote:
Developer SunCal has filed plans for a 935-unit mixed-use development at the former Oak Knoll Naval Hospital in Oakland, formally reviving a project that had been in limbo following the collapse of Lehman Brothers.
SunCal files plans for 935-unit mixed-use project at Oakland's former Navy Hospital - San Francisco Business Times

Old 03-26-2015, 09:07 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,981,244 times
you're on a roll today stephen

Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 PM

Benjamin Moore & Co. : Opens New Distribution Center

Quote:
Benjamin Moore & Co., North America's favorite paint, color and coatings brand, today opened a new distribution center in Oakland, California to support demand of its growing West Coast business...The opening of the new Oakland distribution center is a milestone for our domestic and international growth strategy,” said Mike Searles, President and CEO of Benjamin Moore & Co.
Benjamin Moore & Co. : Opens New Distribution Center in Oakland, California

Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
you're on a roll today stephen
it's not me, its Oakland.

its frustrating and exciting at the same time. I am dying to hear what tech giant is reportedly leasing Uptown Station, and to see what domino effect it will have on the surrounding area. I am also waiting to see some cranes in the sky with 2 or 3 highrise towers proposed and approved in Uptown.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:23 PM

295 posts, read 459,594 times
Quote:
Although rents in Oakland have climbed to some of the highest in the country, they're still not high enough to justify costly highrise construction, developers and brokers say.
I think THIS is crazy. we already have some of the highest rents in the country if they keep waiting until they get higher plenty of people will just say well heck I can live in San Francisco for that price why bother with Oakland. I myself love Oakland and would choose it over SF ever time but many people coming from the East Coast and Northwest wont if the options are the same.

I hope that in the future Oakland will be on equal footing with SF in terms of vibrancy and competition but that day is not now and if developers wait to get Manhattan prices they will never build a thing and Oakland will look exactly as it does now. Its crazy how there are cranes up all over the bay area and in every bordering town but not a one in Oakland. I have faith though dang it, it will happen.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:09 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,768,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
but many people coming from the East Coast and Northwest wont if the options are the same.
So, we could corral the East Coast and Northwest transplants all in one place? Locals secretly relocate to Oakland? This sounds very much like a win-win.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:40 AM

295 posts, read 459,594 times
What i was saying is that one of Oakland's primary features is its affordability and with all things being equal in both cities people be they locals or transplants will go for the more well known, and presumably more "desirable" city. We will still get transplants but at a much smaller rate. Most likely folks looking for deals will just head on over to Freemont, Hayward or out to Walnut Creek or Dublin. If our rents get to high we lose before we establish ourselves and get passed right over.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:49 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,768,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
What i was saying is that one of Oakland's primary features is its affordability and with all things being equal in both cities people be they locals or transplants will go for the more well known, and presumably more "desirable" city. We will still get transplants but at a much smaller rate. Most likely folks looking for deals will just head on over to Freemont, Hayward or out to Walnut Creek or Dublin. If our rents get to high we lose before we establish ourselves and get passed right over.
Then, next up: Hayward! Place is due for substantial makeover, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland