U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 PM

28,234 posts, read 36,207,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athleticsfan72737489 View Post
This isn't Magic Johnson's first venture into Oakland. I believe, at one point, he owned the Starbucks at the Fruitvale Station shopping center. This is when the shopping center first opened in the mid-1990s.
Magic Johnson has a ton of stuff in the Bay. He recently sold the Starbucks by the Walmart in Oakland. He owns the movie theater in Richmond and several local 24 Hour Fitness. Take a look at Magic Johnson Empires: Magic Johnson - Enterprises (Our Partners)

He has a ton of ventures and investments all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,193,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
I've Been reading , and I notices something.

Mr. Fantastic said City Center was sold at a cheap price because it was empty.
However, City Center is 97% leased.
Price can solve anything, including vacancy. One day when you go to your local CC and take a beginner business course, you'll learn that (maybe).

Old 12-03-2010, 12:34 AM

1,993 posts, read 3,556,458 times
Before it was sold, it was already 97% leased.

Vacancy wasn't a problem at City Center.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:16 AM

36,417 posts, read 66,008,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athleticsfan72737489 View Post
This isn't Magic Johnson's first venture into Oakland. I believe, at one point, he owned the Starbucks at the Fruitvale Station shopping center. This is when the shopping center first opened in the mid-1990s.
Yes, he owns that Starbucks. Its one of the 20 most profitable Starbucks' locations in the world.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:28 AM

The Early Word on Daniel Patterson's Plum : Good News/Bad News : Eater SF

http://sf.eater.com/uploads/D-Patt%20at%20Plum.jpg

Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 AM

22 posts, read 40,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is yet another example of your SoCal ignorance of the Bay Area getting you in trouble. LOL

Actually Oakland has a lower vacancy rate than both SF and Silicon Valley and lease rates in Oakland are actually now at parity with SF.

This is because Oakland didnt overbuild like SF and SJ did and Oakland during the dot com boom-it turns out that Oakland not being able to attract as much investment as the other regions in the end, served to Oakland's advantage.
Is that right? I dont have the stats but that's very impressive.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:56 AM

22 posts, read 40,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGulf View Post
Maybe I am wrong on the location but isn't the Expo across 580 from downtown in or near emeryville?

Edit: sorry I misread downturn.

I would NOT want a Target in the area. Especially, if the stores are granted liquor license (not sure if Target sell liquor). Target across the states that I have visited have always had a bad impact on the surrounding area.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:33 PM

1,993 posts, read 3,556,458 times
The Emeryville Shopping Complex is 1/3 Oakland and 2/3 Emeryville. Both cities split the money it generates. Even though the Target Store is on Oakland's side, but the Emeryville will split the profit.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongmeister View Post
Is that right? I dont have the stats but that's very impressive.
Last time I checked it was still the case, but that is because Oakland didnt overbuild in the first place. Historically when there's been an office boom, Oakland's been one of the last places to be a part of that, which also means that when there's a crash, Oakland is less likely to feel it.

Its a win-lose situation. LOL

Old 12-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Coliseum City?

I like it.

Quote:
[LEFT]Oakland city leaders have a dream for the Oakland Coliseum. Instead of sports fans who show up for games and leave as quickly as possible — let’s admit, the concrete bridge that connects the stadiums to BART feels rather prison-like — a visionary master development, currently dubbed Coliseum City, would keep visitors and their disposable cash around longer.

Walter Cohen, head of economic development for the City of Oakland, and Larry Reid, the councilmember who represents East Oakland, are working together to bring a big vision of what could be done with the area surrounding the coliseum.

The idea, and it’s just an idea right now, Cohen insists, is to create something that would capture the game crowds before and after events as well make use of underutilized land by adding retail, housing and entertainment space.

Read more: City leaders coliseum dreaming in East Oakland | San Francisco Business Times

This is long overdue. The Coliseum complex, while impressive in its size and scope, is very antiquated and no longer competes competitively with other venues as far as desirability for people to linger and spend their money.

Its layout is a throwback to 1960s planning where the car was king. Now, the city has the potential to do something wonderful there.

[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland