Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times

Advertisements

Interesting article.

Quote:
His expression made it clear that this was no mere hyperbole spat out so as to get a reaction. He meant every word and proceeded in about twenty minutes to lay out the case for why indeed this place where we were talking — San Francisco — was far more racist, in his estimation than any of several places he had lived in the South.

Worse than Birmingham.

Worse than Jackson, Mississippi.

Worse than Dallas.

San Francisco. Yes, that San Francisco.

Tim Wise » With Friends Like These, Who Needs Glenn Beck? Racism and White Privilege on the Liberal-Left

Old 01-10-2011, 12:16 PM

34 posts, read 90,269 times
This would only be surprising to people who rely on ignorant stereotypes and movies to judge a place/people. The south is most integrated region of the country.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
And this would be the umpty-umph thread begun by blacks regarding racism. What are y'all, a freakin' tag team? Concentrate on making your lives better! In this country the glass is still half full.

Oh yeah! For the record. I truly believe that political correctness has done and continues to do this country significant harm when compared to the bit of good it's done in some isolated areas.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:00 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
As someone who grew up in the South, I can say that it's far more openly racist than the Bay Area. People throw around racist slurs like it's no big deal and they won't hesitate to tell you how opposed they are to interracial dating and affirmative action. I'm still embarrassed whenever I go home to family gatherings and I have to sit and listen to relatives and acquaintances spout off ignorant remarks. I used to go off on them, now I just keep my mouth shut- it's a waste of time and energy. Not everybody in the South is a racist, but a lot of people come up with a laundry list of justifications why "things are the way they are". The civil war might have ended a long time ago, but the anger and hatred is still there. I have never been called a cracker or a honky in the Bay Area by a stranger on the street, I certainly have back home.

With that said, there is definitely racism in the Bay Area. With such diverse ethnics groups living on top of each other, I really don't see how there couldn't be any. I just don't think it's as open and hostile.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:05 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Tim Wise's article does touch on the Bay Area but it's more about how liberal style racism plays itself out in general.

Here's a video that talks about how housing patterns in SF were shaped by race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnt81...layer_embedded

Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times

Old 01-10-2011, 02:28 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
As someone who actually came from the South, like Oakland says, it's far more intentionally and openly racist in the South and anyone who argues other wise either doesn't come from there, has their blinders on, or is overcompensating for the fact that the South always gets blamed for being so overtly racist (or all three).

That isn't to say, however, that there isn't racism in Bay Area - through policy or through interaction. Humans are racist. This shouldn't surprise anyone. Although I think a lot of liberals tend to think they're more open-minded and caring or whathaveoyu, and while they may be slightly less racist, they're not free from it.

This article and plenty like it just reminds me that people talk themselves up too much. Some socially liberal people pretend to be free from racism and give off a false sense of reality and others, like the author, were at one time lead to believe something about humanity that wasn't true and when he found out SF wasn't quite what he had built up, he's now trying to make SF live up to unrealistic expectations that he never should have had in the first place.

The other thing I think is important to remember are the amounts of people in the Bay Area vs the amount of people in states like Alabama, Mississippi, etc. Whenever you have a ton of people in one area, you're going to have a mix of things happen - in part, people will generally feel more tolerant of others and of diversity - I think that's evident here, and in part, some people will feel more irritation and possibly nervousness and as life changes for them, they sometimes blame others and many times, those others are people who aren't quite like them, and I think that's also evident in the Bay Area.

But to break it down politically and attempt to say that liberal racism is worse than neo-con racism is the exact type of sensationalism I think this county would best be served by not reading.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:38 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
A local college HR office I worked at called their hiring practices "non-white bias", which is just another term for racism only against whites.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Let me guess...This Tim "Wise" thinks only European Americans are racist, right?

If you're one of those ignorant people that thinks only white people are racist, please shoot me in the head.

Racism and double standards can burn in the darkest, hottest, deepest pit of Hell.

It doesn't matter what region of the United States you are in when it comes to racism. Racism is hate, prejudice, and intolerance for other human beings based on such a trivial trait as skin color. What a dumb ****ing reason to hate other people.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
San Francisco racism is DEFINITELY worse than southern racism according to countless posts I have read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland