Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 AM

4,460 posts, read 5,191,028 times

Advertisements

Having lived in the Bay Area for 3 years and the fact that I lived in pretty much all the different regions of the country I have a surprising observation to share:
Besides Whites and Asians, it seems all other races in the Bay Area do not get along. Asians seem to hate blacks and are pretty cold towards hispanics as well. Whites do not seem to want to mix with any other group other than asians. Hispanics do not mix with blacks and blacks seem to just be neutral and really don't put much effort in mixing with others although I really don't see much racist attitudes with blacks hating others. Of course this region by the bay is touted as being a liberal bastion which is progressive in everyway. I will leave the gay population out of this perception since they seem to have a different social dynamic when it comes to race when dealing with each other, they are definitely more open minded with each other in the race respect. I was very dissapointed to find this and have noticed cities such as New York may not be perfect in it's race relations but at least Asians don't snear at blacks nearly as much as I noticed in the Bay area. Also whites will at least talk to other races on an equal footing, not just asians.

PS. Western San Jose and Santa Rosa where a few places where I noticed people where much more relaxed on the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 10:57 AM

495 posts, read 1,832,518 times
All generalizations. I know this your experience and I'm not laughing at you, but you made me laugh out loud. Woo, thank you it will be a good day. Where are these people you're talking to and interacting with?!! Asian and white people get along, but everyone else doesn't? LOL

I grew up in San Francisco, have traveled and lived in other states and abroad.

I'm a black woman. My fiance is white. My (former) landlord was Chinese and we're great friends. My best friend is Japanase, from Japan. In case you didn't know Japanese folks loveeeee black people. lol. I have latino, latina, east indian, white, european, black and asian friends. We all get along just fine...In my neighborhood, at work, in social situations. We all have the common interest in getting to know other people and we're open minded people.

What the hell are you talking about? Have you lived in San Francisco or were you just working here? Seriously.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,376,673 times
Don't you mean East San Jose? The west side is not like that at all.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,250,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
My best friend is Japanase, from Japan. In case you didn't know Japanese folks loveeeee black people. lol.

Funny (and maybe you were kidding with the ‘lol’), back in the 1980s when I was married to a Japanese national she and her Japanese friends were very prejudiced against blacks (and just about everyone who was not Japanese or white). Not her best quality by any means . . .

Old 10-11-2007, 12:16 PM

55 posts, read 171,398 times
Default Suprise?

Am a black male pondering on coming to San Francisco, is this true? Should i even come if it like this?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:11 PM

718 posts, read 2,692,104 times
I've noticed in the bay area, that asians suprisingly can be more racist than their white counter parts. I personally think it is their way of trying to assimilate with the white status quo/ adopt white practices and attitudes. Sometimes in doing this it goes TOO far. I for one am not impressed.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:43 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,296,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
All generalizations. I know this your experience and I'm not laughing at you, but you made me laugh out loud. Woo, thank you it will be a good day. Where are these people you're talking to and interacting with?!! Asian and white people get along, but everyone else doesn't? LOL

I grew up in San Francisco, have traveled and lived in other states and abroad.

I'm a black woman. My fiance is white. My (former) landlord was Chinese and we're great friends. My best friend is Japanase, from Japan. In case you didn't know Japanese folks loveeeee black people. lol. I have latino, latina, east indian, white, european, black and asian friends. We all get along just fine...In my neighborhood, at work, in social situations. We all have the common interest in getting to know other people and we're open minded people.

What the hell are you talking about? Have you lived in San Francisco or were you just working here? Seriously.
So because of your experiences you think none of those problems exist? The Japanese are very ethnocentric and do not like "Race Mixing". Which is why the country is 97% Pure Japanese. Yes there are some young kids who are into hiphop that think black people are cool, but for the most part they have no interaction with blacks than the negative media perception, and many Japanese as well as other Asians view blacks in a negative way because of it.

Funny thing about the guys gay question, My professor at USF is gay and said there is notorious racism in the Castro against black homosexuals. They are not allowed in certain clubs and everything else discriminatory that a black person deals with. As for you, I wonder if you even know any black people or are you one of those types that thinks "we are the world"

Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,296,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtboy99 View Post
Ever been to San Diego? Way more racist than San Francisco. I can't believe you're even calling San Francisco racist, that's a first. Take a look at Boston, then get back to me...
Highlight the parts of my post where I said San Francisco is Racist. If you've been to San Francisco for more than just a visit, you'd know that San Francisco is full of subliminal racism. But what city isn't.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,185,908 times
I lived in SF (Richmond and Sunset Districts) and did not find as much racism going on. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but who knows...I am latina but most of my friends were of all ethnicities (white, chinese, filipino, black) and didn't seem to have racist tendencies. I also don't have racist tendencies so I would have noticed outright racism.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,376,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucKie D View Post
Am a black male pondering on coming to San Francisco, is this true? Should i even come if it like this?
Don't cancel your plans. SF is racially segregated by neighborhoods and probably not as diverse as people think, but it's hardly racist in an overt/intentional sense. There's nothing to be fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland