Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:53 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm considering a relocation to the Sunnyvale area and wanted to get some feedback of the pros and cons of living in that area? The usual stuff: quality of living, safety, dos and dont's, etc.

Thanks,

80skeys
Colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:59 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Can you tell us how soon you plan to relocate and where your job will be? You do plan to have a job before you move, right?

The area around Sunnyvale is somewhat homogeneous. The city has been renovating the downtown area, and there are plenty of things to do. I think Mountain View is more interesting in terms of good city government, better downtown, but really, it's hard to tell the difference between those two cities. Real estate prices are about the same. You'll get more information from the Search feature than just the basic things I've mentioned.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 AM

30,892 posts, read 36,937,375 times
^^^What zitsky said. I also like MV better. As far as I know prices are a bit higher there than in S'vale, but I won't swear by that. S'vale is safe and pleasant enough but IMO, it has the least character/charm of all the Silicon Valley cities/towns. And the Silicon Valley area is already low on the charm factor in terms of the aesthetics & quality of the housing stock.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Can you tell us how soon you plan to relocate and where your job will be?
The job's in Sunnyvale, I'm not sure which part of town. My wife would be looking for a job. She may have to look in other cities as well including San Francisco so we might have to live somewhere in between. I was told Mountain View would be a good place to live.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:55 PM

Mountain View is a good place to live. If your wife really has to work in SF, it's possible to commute by train as well as drive.

Keep in mind that jobs are tough to find here. Your wife might come here with you and find a job right away or it could take a year or more. Could you both live on just your salary for 6-12 months if she couldn't find a job?

Old 06-19-2010, 04:09 PM

Well, we're already looking at selling off most of our stuff in order to rent a one- or two-bedroom apartment . Assuming we do this, we could live on my salary alone if we have to.

She's a bookkeeper ... are you saying that it's tough even for a bookkeeper to find a job? Normally there's a good demand for them.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:05 PM

Okay, assuming we end up in or around Sunnyvale, I'm going to need to know about some local fishing spots. Let's start with lakes! Where are some cool lakes and what kind of fish shall I expect to encounter? :-)

Old 06-19-2010, 11:01 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Okay, assuming we end up in or around Sunnyvale, I'm going to need to know about some local fishing spots. Let's start with lakes! Where are some cool lakes and what kind of fish shall I expect to encounter? :-)
Fishing in scarce in the bay area unfortunately . I fish the sierras but you can fish in san jose, and the east bay(lake chabot)

Old 06-20-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Well, we're already looking at selling off most of our stuff in order to rent a one- or two-bedroom apartment . Assuming we do this, we could live on my salary alone if we have to.

She's a bookkeeper ... are you saying that it's tough even for a bookkeeper to find a job? Normally there's a good demand for them.
I don't know how accounting jobs are doing. Is she a CPA or does she plan to get one when she gets to California? That would make a big difference.

As far as fishing, I know a lot of folks do ocean fishing on the beaches and piers around here. I'm sure you could find other places.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Can you tell us how soon you plan to relocate and where your job will be? You do plan to have a job before you move, right?

The area around Sunnyvale is somewhat homogeneous. The city has been renovating the downtown area, and there are plenty of things to do. I think Mountain View is more interesting in terms of good city government, better downtown, but really, it's hard to tell the difference between those two cities. Real estate prices are about the same. You'll get more information from the Search feature than just the basic things I've mentioned.
Used to live in Sunnyvale. Pretty good public services. Location convenient for commuting to Mt View/Palo Alto in the north, San Jose/Cupertino to the south and the east. Plenty of good access to shopping and businesses on El Camino Real. Basically El Camino Real (State Route 82) bisects the city; generally, north of El Camino (zip code 94086) is less expensive in terms of housing than south of El Camino (Zip code 94087).

Mt. View is a bit more pricier than Sunnyvale, and it has a more livelier downtown; Sunnyvale infamously leveled its downtown some 40 years ago for a shopping mall that failed, and the vestiges of its downtown is pretty much limited to a one-block section of Murphy Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose