Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:27 PM

57 posts, read 144,101 times

Advertisements

My husband and son are avid hunters (yes, as in deer, elk, bear, etc). CA does not strike me as the hunting type of state but apparently there are places and, from the website of CA Fish & Game, it seems pretty great. We will possibly be moving to the SV area and would like some information on what the hunting is really like up north.
(Please no hate on the replies - I know, I know, I know....but to each his own).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
There is some hunting in the area.. the trick is that it can only be done on private land, not in public wilderness. So you'd have little choice but to go with a company like Native Hunt which owns a large amount of acreage nearby for hunting, unless you can work out a land lease or have the millions to buy a large tract of acreage in, say, an elk zone like southeastern Monterey County.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,300,551 times
National Forest land in CA is probably your best bet.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 PM

850 posts, read 1,545,859 times
Good luck! Make sure you move up north. Native Hunt is great, if your traveling South for a nice Pig Hunt. This state don't like Hunters too much and animal activists will b--- the entire time about how you abuse and misuse animals, when they have no clue on how Hunters actually manage better (key word: Manage) wildlife then they do.

Here are some places you can try (get your pocket book out and be prepared to travel)

California Hunting for Black tail Deer and Black Bear - Cottrell Ranch
California Hunting, CALHUNT - California Hunting Hot Spots
Northern California Blacktail Deer Hunting Guide Service - Private Land - California Blacktail Deer Hunting Guide - Fall River Black Tail Deer Hunting Guide
Wild Pig Hunting - California - Rifle and Bowhunting - Coalinga, CA (out in the middle of nowhere...trust me)

Sign up for Native Hunt Newletters because they always have specials and every year California we host the Sportsman's Expo. The Sacramento show is the better of the 2 (other is in San Mateo, CA)

Sacramento CA : International Sportsmen

Good Luck! Not like going in your backyard and shooting a deer....boyfriend is from South Carolina.

Sunnnee

Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 PM

473 posts, read 1,327,564 times
You gotta go up north, and it's regulated like crazy. This is not a gun friendly state. I had friends who got massive fines and all guns registered confiscated for 10 years for shooting cans miles out in the desert where there was nothing but dirt as far as the eye could see. Up in Ukiah and farther north you can do some mild hunting, but nothing like in other parts of the country. Huge bummer, but true.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:15 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,629 times
My friends hunt pigs south of San Jose, thats probably your closest hunting option.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:19 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
The only thing guys hunt in So Cal is cougar. God knows there are bunch of cougars in this neck of the woods.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
I have hunted deer in Angeles Crest, Big Bear and Wrightwood. My father in law and I hunt deer and bear in Yosemite valley. I have got lots of deer near Lake Tahoe and Lake Amador. You can get a doe or spike tag for the coast area A.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 PM

473 posts, read 1,327,564 times
Where do you hunt pigs near San Jose - I'd love to know!

There are so many hiking trails around the Bay Area with posted mountain lion warning signs. The idea that you can't even hike with a weapon in the rare case there is a problem is just awful.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
Where do you hunt pigs near San Jose - I'd love to know!

There are so many hiking trails around the Bay Area with posted mountain lion warning signs. The idea that you can't even hike with a weapon in the rare case there is a problem is just awful.
BLM land around hollister offers hunting opportunity, my neighbor would bring back ferral pigs(boar) and we would get sausages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose