Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:34 PM

138 posts, read 571,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree. Most people with kids who can afford it (that's the key phrase there) will rent houses. Apartments here are cheaply built and while rents for apts. are somewhat lower, they are still high--so many find that renting a house offers a better overall value. Usually houses are rented out by mom and pop landlords whereas the apartment buildings are generally run by inhuman corporations that will jack up the rent as soon as the economy turns up. Mom & pop landlords are more likely to hold the rent steady over longer periods of time, especially if they like you.

I have to disagree with that one, it can be nothing but trouble when you rent directly from the "owner". They freak out over every little spot and stain and take it personal. A large corporation will realize that wear and tear is part of rental life. A private owner will peek inbetween your closed curtains and see you home, knock on the glass and yoo hoo yoo hoo until you have to open the door, and then you have to invite them in for hot tea and conversation for 3 hours on your Sunday afternoon, real pain. A large corporation usually closes up the office and doesn't bother you on the weekends for social activities. A mom and pop is more likely to abuse your tenant's rights because they just don't know any better, such as threatening to evict you because your infant cries at night. A large corporation knows the laws and understands tenant's have rights. In another state I had the apartment owner call me at work to tell me she saw my daughter talking to a black boy at the gas station. (this woman was racist and thought I would be too) A large corporation knows better than to ever pull a stunt like that. One time an apartment owner called me at 6am and asked me to pull the huge dumpster out to the road before I went to work because her brother-in-law was on vacation and could not do it for her. I put my back out doing that for 2 months. Another time she called me on a Saturday and said the tenants were complaining about flies in the dumpster, would I mind going to WalMart, buying bug spray, and spraying it. Why she chose me out of her 8 tenants for that glory, I'll never know. But it was a pain to do that for her, I like to just enjoy my weekends, that is why I rent. My advice would be do not under any circumstances rent from a "mom and pop" if you want privacy and your rights as a tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZu View Post
Hi there,

I luckily came across this website/forum in search of some/any information on moving to the San Jose Area from Ireland. I've so many question, sorry for the lenght of post!

We’re moving from Dublin City suburbs, we’ve 2 children aged 4 and 1. From doing some online research I understand that in California a child must be 5 years old before starting school, in my case my eldest will turn 5 in January 2011 and therefore cannot start school until September 2011 - is this correct? (In Ireland a child can start in September at age 4 as long as s/he turns 5 before April)

Also, my understanding is that my eldest must go to the school in the area in which we live. In which case, does anyone have any recommendations on areas within Mountain View and Sunnyvale near schools that are academically good but also encourage the whole development of the child – by this I mean music, arts, sports, not just reading, writing and arithmetic?

What would the cost of a pre-school be for my 4 year old? Mornings only!

Would would the cost of a creche/day care centre be for mornings only for my youngest?

Any recommendations for pre-schools and day care centres?

A lot of rental properties online are apartments and duplexes which all sound fabulous with gyms, pools, playgrounds etc but coming from a quiet cul-de-sac and 2 level house, I’m concerned that there will a significant adjustment to our living conditions. At the moment my eldest can grab the bike and head out with the neighbors on the road and my youngest – well we just potter around the front garden. Adjusting to a lift to carry bikes, buggies etc sounds hard to me. I guess what I am trying to ask is if that is how most young families live in these areas? Apartment / duplex living with all the extra amenities or are they all living in a quiet cud-de-sac somewhere?

This post is getting way too long. I’ll stop here and hope to hear from someone soon.

Thanks a million!!
Hi Tazu, I moved from Ireland to San Jose about 5 years ago. I currently live in a rental apartment, and plan on buying or renting a house in the next few months, as I now have a child. You will find apartment living very tight for space especially with two young children, and there are safety concerns with balconies etc. You will soon get sick of hauling heavy shopping up to the apartment, especially while pushing a buggy. Whatever you do, get a place with a washer/dryer as most older apartments in San Jose have communal laundry facilities in the basement, and no lifts! Some of my friends who rented houses, said they had to buy their own washer/dryers/fridges. I managed to rent a brand new 2 bedroom apartment with all the above included, but need to move out soon as my child needs a garden and more living space. Expect to pay between $2,000- $3,000 in rent.
There are alot of Irish people living in the Campbell/Willow Glen/Cambrian area. These are all nice areas and have plenty of great parks, and farmers markets at weekends. There is an Irish bar in Campbell! Santana Row is a great place to eat out and shop and is is very near the areas I listed. I found it hard to find modern housing for rent, as most houses are ranch style houses built in the 1950s, with old fashioned kitchens and no air conditioning. You will find modern housing if you look hard, but its more than likely going to be a townhouse with no garden. However, some of these townhouses have a complex with pool/gym.
Regarding creche/daycare, its pretty much the same price as Dublin, and there is not much difference in the price between full time daycare and going for half-days. There is a chain called Action Daycare Primary Plus that seems okay, but obviously check out reviews etc.. Bright Days Preschool in Campbell is meant to be very good and takes 2 year olds and older, twice a week for 2 hours. My child is still under 2, but I hear from other Irish mothers that they are all sending their 5 years old to private schools regardless of their area, to get a catholic education. Hope my info. helps and good luck with the move. I think you will be very happy here once you find somewhere nice to live.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2tracy View Post
I have to disagree with that one, it can be nothing but trouble when you rent directly from the "owner". They freak out over every little spot and stain and take it personal. A large corporation will realize that wear and tear is part of rental life. A private owner will peek inbetween your closed curtains and see you home, knock on the glass and yoo hoo yoo hoo until you have to open the door, and then you have to invite them in for hot tea and conversation for 3 hours on your Sunday afternoon, real pain. A large corporation usually closes up the office and doesn't bother you on the weekends for social activities. A mom and pop is more likely to abuse your tenant's rights because they just don't know any better, such as threatening to evict you because your infant cries at night. A large corporation knows the laws and understands tenant's have rights. In another state I had the apartment owner call me at work to tell me she saw my daughter talking to a black boy at the gas station. (this woman was racist and thought I would be too) A large corporation knows better than to ever pull a stunt like that. One time an apartment owner called me at 6am and asked me to pull the huge dumpster out to the road before I went to work because her brother-in-law was on vacation and could not do it for her. I put my back out doing that for 2 months. Another time she called me on a Saturday and said the tenants were complaining about flies in the dumpster, would I mind going to WalMart, buying bug spray, and spraying it. Why she chose me out of her 8 tenants for that glory, I'll never know. But it was a pain to do that for her, I like to just enjoy my weekends, that is why I rent. My advice would be do not under any circumstances rent from a "mom and pop" if you want privacy and your rights as a tenant.
On the other hand, I've been renting in the same Burbank house for 13 years now, without so much as a peep out of the owner, and rare scheduled visits from the management company every year or so. And the rent doesn't go up.

So renting from a house owner may not always be so awful after all.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:14 PM

That is true it may be a case by case basis. But large corporatons generally know if they are under rent control, they can't evict crying babies, things like that. Private owners often do not. THey purchase property and start renting, and have no idea what the laws are. I was living in an apartment complex in San Jose and we all got rent increases. I was baffled because we were under rent control. I told the apartment owner, she geniunely didn't know that, neither did the other tenants. They were just going to grumble and pay the new rent. A large corporation will know better to do that. A large corporation also isn't so emotionally involved with the property. Say someone inherits their mother's house, they want to rent it out. Ever little spot on the carpet or scratch on the door will be taken by the owner as a personal affront. A corporation knows that hey, you go in and steam clean or replace carpet, and repaint, that is part of renting property. But I'm sure you can get a great deal on someone that just wants someone to pay the rent on time and not trash the property, they may not raise the rent for years. It is just a case by case basis. I for one would never rent out property. Renters sometimes have way too many rights. We had a neighbor once that suffered from PTSD as a Vietnam Vet, and he would beat his wife, and if you had the nerve to call 911 because of the wife's screams for help, he would terrorize that tennant, by screaming obscenities all hours of the day and night. PD would come and haul him away for disturbance, but he was out in hours, and the apartment owner could not evict him because he was a PTSD patient, and that would be discrimination according to the public agency and their lawyers that were helping him (San Jose Housing Authority and Project Sentinel). We lived through pure hell until after a year, finally the apartment owner's lawyers were able to overtake the public agency's lawyers, and he was finally evicted. In the meantime, we had sugar put in gas tanks, paint thrown on cars, one time he was growling and snarling and threw my laundry and laundry basket over the fence. Sure, not a huge deal, but when you are tired after work, you don't want to go around the block to retrieve all your laundry from the parking lot behind your apartment complex! So hey I feel for apartment owners too, tenants have so many rights it is sometimes unfair. But then I hate when other tenants and apartment owners threaten to evict crying babies... that just gets on my last nerve. That is wrong. A corporation would never try that.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,792 times
Thanks a million everyone, your advice is so much appreciated. I'm actually flying out next Friday to stay with my husband, I'm so excited. Obviously I'm excited to see my hubby dearest! but also to see all these areas you've mentioned. At least when I'm looking online I can visualize the location. I'm so looking forward to going over, I can't wait, I'm like a 5 yr old on Christmas eve! :-)

Thanks again.
TaZu

Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 PM

48 posts, read 130,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZu View Post
Thanks a million everyone, your advice is so much appreciated. I'm actually flying out next Friday to stay with my husband, I'm so excited. Obviously I'm excited to see my hubby dearest! but also to see all these areas you've mentioned. At least when I'm looking online I can visualize the location. I'm so looking forward to going over, I can't wait, I'm like a 5 yr old on Christmas eve! :-)

Thanks again.
TaZu

Awesome!! Your best bet is probably a single family home....a lot are also owned by corporations.
As a tentant, you have rights--no landlord can vacate your house without 24 notice, and they usually don't drop by for tea lol. Oh, it is against the law to discrimate against kids. It's a good idea to google the Calif law on tenant rights. They cannot charge you for "wear and tear" , painting, minor staining etc...and take your deposit. Make sure you take pictures of EVERYTHING when you do the walk-through. Note any stains, imperfections etc. Also, take very detailed notes & have your landlord sign it.

Anyway, I have quite a few friends that have been renting for almost a decade and very are very happy, esp since the rents weren't jacked up. Most homes are managed by rental property companies anyway, which you'll see on Craigslist.

Let us know if you have any more questions and have fun!! Almaden has a few good rentals out there right now. That is a great place to raise a family.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecomprovisioner View Post
Awesome!! Your best bet is probably a single family home....a lot are also owned by corporations.
As a tentant, you have rights--no landlord can vacate your house without 24 notice, and they usually don't drop by for tea lol. Oh, it is against the law to discrimate against kids. It's a good idea to google the Calif law on tenant rights. They cannot charge you for "wear and tear" , painting, minor staining etc...and take your deposit. Make sure you take pictures of EVERYTHING when you do the walk-through. Note any stains, imperfections etc. Also, take very detailed notes & have your landlord sign it.

Anyway, I have quite a few friends that have been renting for almost a decade and very are very happy, esp since the rents weren't jacked up. Most homes are managed by rental property companies anyway, which you'll see on Craigslist.

Let us know if you have any more questions and have fun!! Almaden has a few good rentals out there right now. That is a great place to raise a family.

When you say vacate the apartment, you don't mean eviction do you? They do need to give 24 hours notice before they "drop by". They will do what they call "maintenance checks" and I can't blame them for that, some renters will let water run all over the place and do damage, cultivate 400 marijuana plants and rearrange the wiring, I'm all for legalizing marijuana but what some tenants do put other tenants in danger too, meth labs, you can't blame an owner for wanting to look and see once in awhile. My passion is protecting tenant's chlidren from being harassed just because they are children. A 4 month old infant is going to get shots, and cry that night at 2am, it isn't fair to threaten the parents with homelessness, and an eviction on your credit report is a serious thing. Here is a link for a government website with good info - always fight for your rights
Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 07-31-2010, 05:09 PM

48 posts, read 130,688 times
no, vacate wasn't what i meant. what i meant to say is the landlord needs to give 24 hour notice, per code 1954. for example, if repairs need to be made...landlord can't simply show up on your doorstep, demanding to be let in.

California Civil Code 1954 states that a landlord or anyone acting for the landlord can only enter your home by giving a WRITTEN 24-hour notice (if she mails it, it must be "mailed 6 days prior to entry"), and only in the following situations To make necessary or agreed-upon repairs. To show the apartment to prospective tenants, buyers, mortgage holders, repair persons and contractors. When the tenant has moved prior to the expiration of the rental term. When the landlord has a court order authorizing entry.
  • In case of an emergency that threatens injury or property damage if not corrected immediately

Last edited by telecomprovisioner; 07-31-2010 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-31-2010, 05:57 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2tracy View Post
That is true it may be a case by case basis. But large corporatons generally know if they are under rent control, they can't evict crying babies, things like that. Private owners often do not. THey purchase property and start renting, and have no idea what the laws are. I was living in an apartment complex in San Jose and we all got rent increases. I was baffled because we were under rent control. I told the apartment owner, she geniunely didn't know that, neither did the other tenants. They were just going to grumble and pay the new rent. A large corporation will know better to do that. A large corporation also isn't so emotionally involved with the property. Say someone inherits their mother's house, they want to rent it out. Ever little spot on the carpet or scratch on the door will be taken by the owner as a personal affront. A corporation knows that hey, you go in and steam clean or replace carpet, and repaint, that is part of renting property. But I'm sure you can get a great deal on someone that just wants someone to pay the rent on time and not trash the property, they may not raise the rent for years. It is just a case by case basis. I for one would never rent out property. Renters sometimes have way too many rights. We had a neighbor once that suffered from PTSD as a Vietnam Vet, and he would beat his wife, and if you had the nerve to call 911 because of the wife's screams for help, he would terrorize that tennant, by screaming obscenities all hours of the day and night. PD would come and haul him away for disturbance, but he was out in hours, and the apartment owner could not evict him because he was a PTSD patient, and that would be discrimination according to the public agency and their lawyers that were helping him (San Jose Housing Authority and Project Sentinel). We lived through pure hell until after a year, finally the apartment owner's lawyers were able to overtake the public agency's lawyers, and he was finally evicted. In the meantime, we had sugar put in gas tanks, paint thrown on cars, one time he was growling and snarling and threw my laundry and laundry basket over the fence. Sure, not a huge deal, but when you are tired after work, you don't want to go around the block to retrieve all your laundry from the parking lot behind your apartment complex! So hey I feel for apartment owners too, tenants have so many rights it is sometimes unfair. But then I hate when other tenants and apartment owners threaten to evict crying babies... that just gets on my last nerve. That is wrong. A corporation would never try that.
Moving2tracy, Didn't your high school English teachers ever teach you the meaning of the terms paragraph, punctuation, run-on, and incomplete sentences? You are good at stream of consciousness, however.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
Moving2tracy, Didn't your high school English teachers ever teach you the meaning of the terms paragraph, punctuation, run-on, and incomplete sentences? You are good at stream of consciousness, however.

I didn't realize I would be graded so harshly in this forum for the terms paragraph, punctuation, run-on, and incomplete sentences - kind of feel sorry for you, lighten up and enjoy life :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose