Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 01:07 AM

21 posts, read 108,976 times

Advertisements

Hello;

I will be going to SJSU (San Jose State univ.) this fall.

I'd like to rent near SJSU a nice apt, but can't afford one since I like a nice apt and so far was not able to find something nice that is less than $1,100 or so.

So, I am now thinking of renting some distance away.

But the problem become commuting, and I do not like to spend an hr each day one way going to school and back. Will be tired by the time I get to school.

Where would be a good place to rent a nice apt, with easy public transportation to SJSU?

I am looked at fremont and hayward where rent seems to be lower and also more choices. But then driving on the fwy will be pain. I assume there is no bus services, or if there is, it will take forever.

Bart does not run between hayward and san jose. Too bad.

Should I think of other areas close to san jose where the driving will be less? Say los gatos, campbell? Santa clara and mountain view probably as expensive as san jose?

I can drive 20 minutes one way, that will be ok. But need to find place with nice apts that do not cost over say $1,200 most. I am a student and not working.

I'd really love to live in Daly city (cooler weather, less sun), but driving will be too long, and there are no trains at all, so this is out of question.

Morgan hill is probably too far, have to commute too much?

W.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 AM

21 posts, read 108,976 times
I just found that caltrain can take one from San Bruno to san jose train station (very close to SJSU)

System Map

It takes 1 hr (but I won't be driving, so I do not care. I can sit in the train and read).

Has anyone used this service before?

I am thinking if this works, I can rent in Daly city, and drive and park in San Bruno and take the train to san jose (from station there to SJSU is only 1.8 miles, may be I buy a bike? and take it with me on the train. need to see if I can do that). It is kind'a expensive ($200+ per month for 4 zones), but worth it I think.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
There IS an express bus from Fremont to SJSU campus, actually, and it's not too slow. Look up the 181.

San Bruno wouldn't save you much money over San Jose. I lived in SSF for a year and a half and worked in Burlingame, and I found the rents are consistently lower in SJ where I am now..

Another idea might be Gilroy, there is both Caltrain and express bus service into downtown SJ..

Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Could you find something that is convenient to the VTA light rail line that goes downtown?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ws123 View Post
Hello;

I will be going to SJSU (San Jose State univ.) this fall.

I'd like to rent near SJSU a nice apt, but can't afford one since I like a nice apt and so far was not able to find something nice that is less than $1,100 or so.

So, I am now thinking of renting some distance away.

But the problem become commuting, and I do not like to spend an hr each day one way going to school and back. Will be tired by the time I get to school.

Where would be a good place to rent a nice apt, with easy public transportation to SJSU?

I am looked at fremont and hayward where rent seems to be lower and also more choices. But then driving on the fwy will be pain. I assume there is no bus services, or if there is, it will take forever.

Bart does not run between hayward and san jose. Too bad.

Should I think of other areas close to san jose where the driving will be less? Say los gatos, campbell? Santa clara and mountain view probably as expensive as san jose?

I can drive 20 minutes one way, that will be ok. But need to find place with nice apts that do not cost over say $1,200 most. I am a student and not working.

I'd really love to live in Daly city (cooler weather, less sun), but driving will be too long, and there are no trains at all, so this is out of question.

Morgan hill is probably too far, have to commute too much?

W.S.
Before you decide you can't afford an apartment, google Westwood Properties. for their phone #. Their rents are more reasonable than other downtown landlords. They are pickier about who they rent to, but their buildings are nicely maintained, although you won't get any frills. I have rented from them for 2 years and am quite happy with them.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM

47 posts, read 139,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Could you find something that is convenient to the VTA light rail line that goes downtown?
I would recommend this as light rail is pretty fast and reliable with a stations literally a block from SJSU campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose