Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 7,105 times

Advertisements

I'm a senior in high school right now and as soon as i graduate, i want to attend a college somewhere between the San Jose and San Francisco areas. I live in Hawaii, so living in San Francisco would be a bit too cold of a climate for me. However, i like the chilly weather of NorCal. Probably because i lived in L.A. until i was 12. So anywhere a little more south of San Francisco would be great.

I've visited San Francisco, and it quickly became my favorite city. I want to go to college near SF so that i can drive over when i feel like going to the city. Does anyone have any ideas on either a good college or a good place to live between the SF & SJ areas?
(San Jose was good, but a little bit deserted when i visited.. maybe a bit too quiet for my taste)

Any help would be great, i appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
SJSU, SFSU, UCSF, Berkeley, Cal State East Bay. That's about it for the publics and it's going to be very expensive if you are from out of state. Private colleges include St Mary's, Stanford, University of SF, Mills College (for women), and a handful of others and speciality schools that you can easily find on your own by doing a search.

You won't know until you are accepted so worry about that before worrying about where to live. Once you have been accepted somewhere you can figure out the details.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
SF is too cold but SJ is too deserted? Hmm, that pretty much eliminates most of your possibilities. If you think SJ is too deserted, then nothing else on the peninsula will cut it. So this really leaves your only options as the East Bay cities of Oakland or Berkeley. These would be an easy BART ride into SF. Be aware, but don't necessarily let it deter you, that it's VERY difficult for out of state students to get into UC's, especially Berkeley, as a freshman undergrad. (Out of state transfers, on the other hand, are impossible.) Not sure what's in Oakland, but there's probably a few colleges. It does sound like you haven't done much research on colleges yet, so I recommend trying that first & seeing what you can come up with. Does it have to be in NorCal? Or would you consider somewhere in LA or San Diego too?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:10 AM

I've done a bunch of research on the colleges in the San Jose area, but only recently realized that i might not want to attend college there. When i visited San Francisco just about 3 weeks ago, i also visited SJSU, and the school was nice for a California state school. Buttt, it looked so quiet.. i only got to visit for 4 days so i didn't get the chance to visit any more schools in the surrounding area.

And i am actually pretty intent on staying in the NorCal area, since my main focus of going to college over there would be because i want to be close to San Francisco.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
You visited during summer, when most school is out of session. Of course it's quiet.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 PM

Oh, no, that's obvious. But I meant the town was quiet. Of course, all schools are gonna be quiet during summer.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:35 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls10 View Post
my main focus of going to college over there would be because i want to be close to San Francisco.
You can be close to San Francisco without going to college. Do academics play a role anywhere in this?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:59 PM

8 posts, read 72,452 times
the town is usually quiet. For me this is a good thing as I am not a big city person.
MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 08-19-2010 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: advertising website

Old 08-19-2010, 04:01 PM

8 posts, read 72,452 times
Check out this forum on schools and colleges around the area.
MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 08-19-2010 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: advertising website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose