Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 PM

6 posts, read 12,399 times

Advertisements

We just found out today that my husband is officially being transferred to San Jose (not too far from the airport). We have a two year old and one on the way so we are looking for a family friendly place to live. He can endure a bit of a commute since his "shift" will be during off peak hours. We hope to keep the rent under $2,000/mo.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,078,818 times
How much are you willing to compromise on living conditions? You can get a nice 2-bedroom apartment or condo in great areas like incorporated Los Gatos for $2000, but a detached house will be a challenge.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:52 PM

700 posts, read 2,590,395 times
Try Lick Mill Road...
Lots of parks, an elementary school, condos, apartments...really close to SJC and Great America, has train line and a diverse population. Decent grocery shopping and restaurants at Rivermark. My 1 BDR is $1,700...and Im pretty happy with it.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:01 PM

163 posts, read 711,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
How much are you willing to compromise on living conditions? You can get a nice 2-bedroom apartment or condo in great areas like incorporated Los Gatos for $2000, but a detached house will be a challenge.
Just an FYI- I have a perfect, adorable, 2 bedroom-1 bath craftsmen style bungalow - HUGE lot (6000 sq feet) Beautifully landscaped fenced backyard w/fruit trees, roses, blooming plants, etc. The house itself is 1200 sq feet and the rest is land- Old barn garage, driveway long enough to park 5 cars. A mother-in- law house in the back where I have all my exercise stuff plus tv. Kitchen is twice the size of a normal kitchen. Sun room with washer/dryer- fully finished basement.. Fireplace......built in cabinets. Claw foot tub in a bathroom that could easily be mistaken for a small bedroom (it's that big) And a front porch to boot. All for the low low price of 1400.00 a month. I've been here for 5 years and never plan to leave. It's in the 'burbank' area just seconds outside of Willow Glen. Not even close to upscale but my neighbors are lawyers, teachers, business owners, retirees, and families. It dead quiet at night and typical traffic in the day. Lot's of housing for sale and many, many upgrading the existing places. My house is 106 years old and full of old world charm. It's about 10 minutes from the Airport. A quick shot up back roads to Coleman.

Bad points: Not enough closet space-

My point- it's possible to find a great place to live in SJ even if you don't have a bunch of money. I found this with a bit of effort. It's perfect for a small family.

To OP- Just look around. Lot's for rent in this area.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:15 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,078,818 times
Burbank is a great little area, I agree, but it doesn't have one of the better school districts around.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Burbank is a great little area, I agree, but it doesn't have one of the better school districts around.
True-it's predominately Hispanic and I believe caters to that culture, but if you skip over San Carlos to the rose garden, the schools there are more well rounded. I believe Trace is a good elementary/and Hoover middle school which caters to University Avenue- Shasta, Hanchette, etc. For High Schools, there is Lincoln High School which is a performing Arts school and very prestigious. I think it would be easy to get a pass to enroll there if one is living on this side with the right argument. No one can find everything in one area if money is problematic. With the cashed saved for more expensive places (condos or townhomes, no garage, no yard), one could bus to a private school outside of this area if need be. I have friends that live off of Moorepark in SJ near Santana Row, yet bus to private schools in Saratoga.

Actually- very few areas in SJ would be ideal for schools. Cupertino is thee 'district' for schooling but housing is mucho expensive and frankly, not worth the money. Plus the commute to his job would triple.
Cupertino is predominately asian now (Not when I was a kid having grown up in Sunnyvale but attended Homestead High in my senior year)........Not that that is a bad thing- mind you. I'm just pointing out that each area has it's pitfalls if you are looking for well rounded education. I had friends w/ kids in those schools and they simply could not keep up. Any area you are going to be a minority in the school system unless you are part of the culture it caters to. Sunnyvale (Fremont High) was literally all white when I was there in the 70's and 80's but is now predominately Indian and Asian. Totally different environment and totally different education. I keep hearing Cupertino is the place to be for schools but who knows. I look for better housing in my world.

Plus - Santana Row and Valley Fair is minutes away.

Anyway- Just saying.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:15 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,291,979 times
Quote:
This might have changed recently but much of the Burbank district is in unincorporated Santa Clara County. Meaning that much of the municipal services are the responsibility of the county rather than the City of San Jose. So the streets may not be as paved as often or the municipal authorities may not be as responsive. Clue: some of the street signs in the neighborhood are blue colored (county) as opposed to the white-on-black signs of San Jose.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:01 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,825,885 times
SCCOE: School Directory - COEs

The picture linked above gives you an idea of the hodgepodge that is the Santa Clara County school district system.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
This might have changed recently but much of the Burbank district is in unincorporated Santa Clara County. Meaning that much of the municipal services are the responsibility of the county rather than the City of San Jose. So the streets may not be as paved as often or the municipal authorities may not be as responsive. Clue: some of the street signs in the neighborhood are blue colored (county) as opposed to the white-on-black signs of San Jose.
It's changed. There are still parts near Bascom (Pink Poodle area) that are unincorporated, but bit by bit, the city is taking over. All of my area is now city managed. All all of San Carlos with the re-development is now managed by the city. Street signs, sweeping, sidewalks, etc. This area is growing up but with that, comes taxes and lot's of them.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,802,956 times
Or, live in a place where the public schools are not the best & just send your kids to private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose