Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:19 PM

48 posts, read 130,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
We just moved to San Jose, and are renting for our first year here. We are planning on buying a home within the next 6-8 months. I got into a discussion with a realtor at a neighborhood open house. I figure with the peak buying season winding down, heading into fall, the prices will continue to drop - that and with the number of short sales and foreclosures on the market, it will take some time for the market to stabalize. The realtor of course (rather than looking at me as a potential FUTURE buyer and customer for her) stood there and argued with me telling me that I was totally wrong and that the area prices are on the rise, and we should buy now. Obviously she has a vested interest in her view of the market.....I won't break my lease and potentially owe my landlord for the next 9 months. I'm just curious now, what is the housing market doing here - from the point of view of the non-realtor set?

Where in SJ was this? I really doubt prices will inch up anymore....look at unemployment lol. Just curious what area this was...I have heard Saratoga, LG, MV, Palo Alto, Almaden are slightly improving. I would never say prices are going to creep substanitally up though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM

765 posts, read 2,441,009 times
So.....another weekend, another open house, and the townhouse still hasn't sold. So, it's been listed for 2 months now, I'm surprised they haven't dropped the price. Crazy - a 1400 sq ft townhouse for $698,500 ($496/sq ft). Oh, it's in the Westgate area San Jose.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
The house I'm renting sold after about 2 months with an all-cash offer. I'll find out what it sold for after they close Friday.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,214 times
Quote:
So.....another weekend, another open house, and the townhouse still hasn't sold. So, it's been listed for 2 months now, I'm surprised they haven't dropped the price. Crazy - a 1400 sq ft townhouse for $698,500 ($496/sq ft). Oh, it's in the Westgate area San Jose.
That price is way too high, 700k for a two bedroom townhouse in SJ...yeah right.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Yeah, I have a better use for that $700K.. 4270 HAMILTON Ave, San Jose, CA 95130 | MLS# 81048030

Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
That price is way too high, 700k for a two bedroom townhouse in SJ...yeah right.
I agree - I'm going to keep the thread alive and repost the situation here in my neighborhood - Westgate. I might drop in to visit the realtor again at her next open house, to see if she still stands there and will argue with me about this "hot" market. I agree, it's a great time to buy with home prices down to 2005 levels, and with low interest rates. Unfortunately with a couple of homes for sale on every block, we as buyers have a lot to choose from and I really believe prices will continue to drop. Eventually people (and banks) will have to drop their prices to get people (like me) to buy. And at the $700,000 price range, people need $140,000 for a deposit, and the income to support the mortgage - I'm hearing that it's not as easy to qualify for these big mortgages.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 AM

880 posts, read 1,800,214 times
Quote:
I agree - I'm going to keep the thread alive and repost the situation here in my neighborhood - Westgate. I might drop in to visit the realtor again at her next open house, to see if she still stands there and will argue with me about this "hot" market. I agree, it's a great time to buy with home prices down to 2005 levels, and with low interest rates. Unfortunately with a couple of homes for sale on every block, we as buyers have a lot to choose from and I really believe prices will continue to drop. Eventually people (and banks) will have to drop their prices to get people (like me) to buy. And at the $700,000 price range, people need $140,000 for a deposit, and the income to support the mortgage - I'm hearing that it's not as easy to qualify for these big mortgages.
Talking to a Realtor about the housing market is like talking to a car salesman about the auto market. As far as home prices down to 2005 levels I would be waiting for them to fall back to pre bubble levels of 2000 and I believe we will be there in a couple of years.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
As far as home prices down to 2005 levels I would be waiting for them to fall back to pre bubble levels of 2000 and I believe we will be there in a couple of years.
I'm curious what is happening in the foreclosure market. I wonder how many homes banks are sitting on so as to not flood the market and drop the prices even further.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 AM

48 posts, read 130,688 times
If you look at the pre-foreclosures on all the foreclosure websites looks like we have a lot in the pike. (Of course the wealthy/top school areas don't have as many.)
When we got our appraisal done, the apprasier said it was less than 10% in our neighborhood (we have really good schools).
we are a good 3 years to get through all those foreclosures so yeah, could see prices drop below 2000 levels.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
If you look at the pre-foreclosures on all the foreclosure websites looks like we have a lot in the pike.
Do you know of one you don't have to pay or register for? I hate the spam generated by those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose