Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 10,158 times

Advertisements

Hmm... it is very difficult to do anything with a bad credit. I know how hard it can be, but it is not going to be possible to survive with 390/mo.

If she really has to.. there are several places in downtown sj that has room sharing things going on.. I did it a student. it can get awfully compact sometimes but it may work out for her. downtown isnt really the safest place nor the nicest but i know for sure there isnt much of a choice elsewhere. IF she decides to survive with 390/mo, thn I would do all my shopping in the asian market. its cheaper! or walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 06:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
No big deal - we have people in that same position move into our place and get a nice bedroom for $550/mo often. Not concerned about credit score if you can pay the rent and maintain your job, or have a savings stash. Given the choice, I'd rather live with decent, hard-working people with bad credit than with obnoxious a-holes with great credit.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificoasthiway View Post
Well she says 950. She thinks she can get by on 390/mo after taxes. For car ins, utilities, gas, food, 1 small credit card. Old car paid for. She's a good girl but I'm not offering her a room with me and my husband. Our kids are finally grown and out so it's our time now. 390/mo!
$390 a month is NOT realistic. Food, gas, utilities, car maintenance & insurance, and cell phone bill will easily eat that up. Unless she is planning on eating one bowl of rice a day. Trust me, I know from personal experience.

As others have pointed out, a landlord would have to be crazy to rent to her under those conditions.

She needs a roommate. Preferably one with very good credit. With a cheap 2 bedroom apartment for maybe $1100 or $1200 a month, her share will be $600 plus utilities. It's still going to be difficult for her, but maybe doable. Or she could just rent a room in a house for about the same amount.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 AM

6 posts, read 11,775 times
I'd rent to her cause I love her and respect how she's beginning to mend her life. This girl does not cave.

Yesterday she got a 1 bdr in Santa Clara for 950 exactly. She's ecstatic. And we're behind her. (Nope, I didn't sign a thing.)

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:26 AM

802 posts, read 2,264,549 times
Quote:
I'd rent to her cause I love her and respect how she's beginning to mend her life. This girl does not cave.

Yesterday she got a 1 bdr in Santa Clara for 950 exactly. She's ecstatic. And we're behind her. (Nope, I didn't sign a thing.)

Thanks everyone!
While it's great that she found a place, spending 60% of your gross income on rent is not a financially sound decision. I would not see that encouraging her to do that as a positive thing. It's admirable that she is trying to mend her life, but getting into a high-risk, financially unsustainable situation will more likely than not put her in a situation of continued hardship.

Just my $0.02.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 AM

6 posts, read 11,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
While it's great that she found a place, spending 60% of your gross income on rent is not a financially sound decision. I would not see that encouraging her to do that as a positive thing. It's admirable that she is trying to mend her life, but getting into a high-risk, financially unsustainable situation will more likely than not put her in a situation of continued hardship.

Just my $0.02.

You must have been in the room when we were talking about this! You've expressed my husband's sentiments exactly. And I do not argue the point. She's got to do the heavy lifting. Keep working hard. Look for opportunities for advancement. Stretch every nickel. But she will not be all alone; she will have a cushion if needed. The goal is within 2 years she will be in a more comfortable position than now. And a year or 2 after that she can get back to community college. There's no point in living on 390/mo unless there's a plan.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
She also needs to look for more part-time work. I have a full time $16.50 an hour administrative job, which would barely pay all of my bills by itself. I need lots of side work to make ends meet, which means long hours. Sometimes I work 3 different jobs in a day and spend 14 hours out of the house, but altogether, I make $55,000 a year. It's just like dating, everyone wants you when you're taken.. and the more you work, the easier it is to get more work.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:35 AM

802 posts, read 2,264,549 times
Quote:
You must have been in the room when we were talking about this! You've expressed my husband's sentiments exactly. And I do not argue the point. She's got to do the heavy lifting. Keep working hard. Look for opportunities for advancement. Stretch every nickel. But she will not be all alone; she will have a cushion if needed. The goal is within 2 years she will be in a more comfortable position than now. And a year or 2 after that she can get back to community college. There's no point in living on 390/mo unless there's a plan.
Having a goal of getting to a more comfortable position is great, but you need to have a realistic plan. What is her goal and how is she planning to achieve that goal? Remember, even if she were to get a 10% raise each year (which would be wildly optimistic in a strong economy, completely unrealistic to expect in the current economic climate), she's still going to be paying around 50% of her gross income for housing at the end of those two years, which is still high-risk and not sustainable.

Not trying to be a jerk here, just being realistic about what she can really achieve in a couple of years.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:56 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Without even knowing the details I can see from your posts that you are really trying to help her and will probably continue to help her. I do wish she had gone into a roommate situation for less money per month though, a room for rent in a house would have been my advice to her. I can't see any way in the world she can get by on the money she has...maybe you will help there ? Her budget is so lean she is only a Happy Meal away from destitution. Hopefully she can find a better paying job soon.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
She's 29, single. Anybody know anyplace where they might give her a chance? Got a job as a cashier in big retail store. $12/hr, 30 hrs/week. Rented in Virginia for 2 years, no troubles. But rent lower there. Having a hard time finding a building here. Is there anyplace?
Bad credit is so hard to live down. It is sad how so many have to learn the hard way. On $12 an hour and 30 hours a week, she is going to be hard pressed to find anything decent. How big of a place does she need and has she considered just renting a room from someone. Assuming she gets the full 30 hours a week, she will only be clearing about 1200 a month after taxes, maybe a little more. It looks like she is going to need some financual help. I don't know if you are in a position to help her, I haven't read all your postings.

Just finished reading your posts, I am sure she is very excited about the apartment, but I think you better be ready to help her out big time. Any part time job, is just that, no guarantee she will continue to get 30 hours a week, especially with the present market, she has an old car, they do break down or need work, she will not have 1 cent left for maintainance and she will not have any money left for any form of social life. She would have been much better off sharing an apartment or getting a room, but good luck to her anyway. I hope it works out, I am not holding my breath.
Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 09-18-2010 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: