Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:37 PM

40 posts, read 200,754 times

Advertisements

Hello, im wondering where are the bad parts of san jose "if any" or in the general area to stay away from and how bad is it compared to other cities?

Also, how easy to find a Entry-level IT job in helpdesk or tech support in the area? (estimate of days of being in town)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 03:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
The "bad" parts are only relatively so. They're not like parts of the East Bay or San Francisco. The area around the Story/King intersection has notoriously been the representative of "problems" in East San Jose but most of the region has really been picking up with parks and remodeled shopping centers. People here will always brag about how we live in the safest American city over 500,000 but it wouldn't truly be a city if there weren't areas that white people shy away from, I guess...

Old 07-03-2007, 11:31 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
All of San Jose is bad if you don't make enough!!! Most of the city is safe, with some pockets of bad in the downtown and east areas.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 20,264 times
I live off of King Road, about a block away from this "notorious" King and Story intersection -- the same place I've lived for 22 years. I'm a college professor, a literary critic, and an upstanding American citizen and I haven't felt out of place in my community any time in my memory.

So calling an area "bad" is indeed a relative label...

Old 01-14-2008, 11:33 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
how can you stand the noise???

Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 28,567 times
Hey, I am moving to the San Jose around the Julian/McKee area. My house is gonna be on Wooster Ave. Is that area safe?

Old 01-26-2008, 02:31 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinboy View Post
Hello, im wondering where are the bad parts of san jose "if any" or in the general area to stay away from and how bad is it compared to other cities?

Also, how easy to find a Entry-level IT job in helpdesk or tech support in the area? (estimate of days of being in town)
I agree with what the other posters have said. Most of the bad parts of San Jose are still livable.

I used to live on the East side of SJ. I hated all the little indignities I experienced there (most the stores are low end or cater to Mexican & Vietnamese immigrants; lots of litter everywhere; lots of houses that are 100% cement in the front yards so they have somewhere to park their numerous cars; overcrowded public facilities; limited street parking because you have multiple familes living in single family houses, etc.)

So, if you're young and not spoiled these things are not the end of the world. But living that way wears you down over time.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with what the other posters have said. Most of the bad parts of San Jose are still livable.

I used to live on the East side of SJ. I hated all the little indignities I experienced there (most the stores are low end or cater to Mexican & Vietnamese immigrants; lots of litter everywhere; lots of houses that are 100% cement in the front yards so they have somewhere to park their numerous cars; overcrowded public facilities; limited street parking because you have multiple familes living in single family houses, etc.)

So, if you're young and not spoiled these things are not the end of the world. But living that way wears you down over time.
This is so true! all my neighbors were Vietnamese, Cambodian and Laotian and they all cemented their front yards so they can park their 100000000 cars. It was impossible to get parking on the street if you got home 1 min after 5 pm! I don't miss that part of living there!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg36 View Post
I live off of King Road, about a block away from this "notorious" King and Story intersection -- the same place I've lived for 22 years. I'm a college professor, a literary critic, and an upstanding American citizen and I haven't felt out of place in my community any time in my memory.

So calling an area "bad" is indeed a relative label...

Story and King has really changed in the last few years. I remember in the 80's and 90's where they would have cruzing with all the low riders and gang bangers riding around weekends. My friend use to work at the 7-11 and was robbed numerous times. They have seemed to clean it up really nice.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:11 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungrich View Post
east side san jo is still banging reason why crime rate is low because of organize crime much wiser gang banger dey learn from the og's

I think I just lost some brain cells after reading this. Fortunately people like you only make up a very small percentage of SJ residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose