Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 61,226 times

Advertisements

I am up for a job in San Jose; my family and I have a free home to live in but it's in Santa Cruz. I know the commute is hellish, but it may be worth it to avoid bay area home/rental prices. If I leave SC at 7:00am and leave SJ at 4:00pm - how long am I really looking at I commute times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:22 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
On a good day, it's more or less free flowing. The problem is the other days. It's only two lanes in each direction, so one stall or accident can have a huge impact. And if you get a really hot day, you'll have a lot of company trying to flee to the coast.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Traffic? What traffic? It's free living in SC - take it!

Old 10-05-2010, 05:08 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
Fridays in the summer are murder, you'll have a lot of beach traffic to contend with.
One accident can shut 17 down for hours.

That being said, there are other roads you can take across in a pinch, and most of the time traffic will move pretty smoothly.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
This is a recurring question. See these: //www.city-data.com/forum/calif...7-commute.html

Remember accidents are pretty common, especially in the rain, fog, low light, dark, etc...

I was just interviewing a guy this week who was describing how he had to dodge cars that were wiping out on a number of occasions while making the commute.

Derek

Old 10-07-2010, 11:05 PM

10 posts, read 45,797 times
It usually takes me bout less than 40 minutes each way if the traffic is free flowing and eventually you'll get used to driving the 17 and enjoy the drive a bit - yes I actually enjoy the drive versus going thru hwy 1 to watsonville, to mt. madonna, thru gilroy, thru hwy 101 to get to san jose area - im sorry but the drive makes me fall asleep.

As far as traffic accidents, yes it can take an hour to 4 hours to clear a road accident so my advice is to listen to traffic reports before leaving the house... then you can take alternate routes.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:39 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli2374 View Post
I am up for a job in San Jose; my family and I have a free home to live in but it's in Santa Cruz. I know the commute is hellish, but it may be worth it to avoid bay area home/rental prices. If I leave SC at 7:00am and leave SJ at 4:00pm - how long am I really looking at I commute times?
You may also want to check into the bus service from Santa Cruz area to downtown San Jose (if you're working downtown). It saves a lot of stress if you can do it.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:59 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This is a recurring question. See these: //www.city-data.com/forum/calif...7-commute.html

Remember accidents are pretty common, especially in the rain, fog, low light, dark, etc...

I was just interviewing a guy this week who was describing how he had to dodge cars that were wiping out on a number of occasions while making the commute.

Derek
I can see it being tricky in a winter rain storm at night, but this time of year, why would people just wipe out for no reason? Are they completely retarded? Or was this guy just talking in general? I figure the commute is smooth in spring and fall, jam packed certain summer days, and tricky in winter depending on rain. But that's the same for all freeways.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 39,436 times
Default High 17 commute

45 minutes is usual traffic, up to an hour if there is congestion.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 AM

160 posts, read 454,395 times
Do you LOVE the free house? Do you get to walk the beach each day?
Lots of my friends live in SC and love it there so the commute is worth it. BUT most of my friends that do that have flexibility in their day so if they can't get over the hill they can telecommute.
One friend rents a room in San Jose and stays in SJ when she has to teach early. Another friend was driving home late, "missed" a turn and landed in a tree. Another friend worked swing so missed the traffic.
A 40 mile commute in a car that gets 20mpg burns 4 gallons of gas a day - so $16/day while a 2000 rental home costs $67/day so you'd save $49/day on work days.
It also adds 2 hours to each day - what's an hour of your day worth?
For my friends it's worth the time and money to live at the beach. Is it worth it for you?
Besides, you could always try it out and if it sucks just rent something :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose