U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 04:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,833 times

Advertisements

a company based in Sunnyvale has offered me a job but I am on the fence about relocating since the offer is a 1,000.00 less than what I earn at my current position in Houston. I have always loved California and the position is very interesting and better than my current role, but I'm not sure if the cost of living will be worth it.

I have researched areas to live and would consider either Mountain View or Santa Clara, but what are some realistic expenses (i.e. groceries, taxes, housing, etc) that I should consider when making this move.

Also, it seems that apartments range from 1500-2000. Is there no way to rent for something in the 1000-1500 range.

Any help would be much appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 PM

4,929 posts, read 5,962,490 times
Many people in this area have room mates to share expenses. You are moving to The Bay area and landlords are able to get high rents. However, you can find something on Craig's list or in the San Jose Mercury News for less in areas further away from Palo Alto/San Jose area. I heard about a service called Home Minders where you can live in home that is for sale for just the upkeep of the property while the owners move on until the property is sold. I have seen rents as high as $14,000 in the City so the south bay is usually a better deal. Also, contact some local realtors who might know of properties for rent that aren't listed elsewhere. In general, many people in this area have either left or returned to their parents so rents have declined for now. Only you can decide whether the pay and lifestyle here are in your own best interest. Another thing to consider is the stability of the company and the potential for future pay increases. My husband's job probably won't be here in five years and will go where many others have already gone. Your support system is also a big consideration regardless of any job.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 PM

18 posts, read 39,643 times
Look on Craigslist. It's not hard to find a studio for $800-$1000 range or 1bd room apartment for $1200 in Mountain View, Sunnyvale area.
I used to live in Houston too. 77072

Old 10-10-2010, 07:23 PM

5 posts, read 7,833 times
Im moving with my Fiancee to the area. She hasn't found a job yet but will be on the search for one. Im not totally sure if my salary would be enough to live out there. Its in the 60s range. Will this be hard to get by with in Bay Area.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:52 PM

18 posts, read 39,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Common View Post
Im moving with my Fiancee to the area. She hasn't found a job yet but will be on the search for one. Im not totally sure if my salary would be enough to live out there. Its in the 60s range. Will this be hard to get by with in Bay Area.
Enough or not, it's really up to you and the way you spend your money.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,475,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixonmn View Post
Look on Craigslist. It's not hard to find a studio for $800-$1000 range or 1bd room apartment for $1200 in Mountain View, Sunnyvale area.
I agree that you absolutely can rent an apartment in Mountain View or Sunnyvale in that price range starting at $800 for a studio. But that is the rock bottom price, and there will be a good reason the price is that low. Think small, old, noisy, paper thin walls, and many other issues that probably will not be resolved. If you are not picky about where you live, and don't mind sharing your apartment with a few roaches, an $800 a month apartment may work for you. Otherwise with sheared housing, the same amount of money will have you living in a much nicer place.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:02 AM

28,341 posts, read 30,926,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Common View Post
I make only 52K and have money saved in the 401k and in the bank. It really depends on your expectations. If you expect to live in as nice a place (in terms of location, square footage, & amenities) as you do in Houston, then you may not be able to make it. If you're willing to make some tough trade offs, then you'll be fine.

Generally, I find that people who live payday to payday will live payday to payday no matter where they live or how much they make. People who make savings a priority will have savings no matter where they live or how much they make.

That said, it will clearly be easier to be able to both live a nicer material lifestyle and get ahead financially in a place like Houston than it would be in SV. The exception being if there are career opportunities here that wouldn't exist for you in Houston.

2 other things to think about: 1. Do you want to own a house? 2. Do you want kids? If the answer to both of those is "yes" then I would not live in this area unless you've got great income potential. Plain Jane single family tract houses in middling school districts easily cost 500K.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-11-2010 at 12:13 AM..

Old 10-11-2010, 06:05 PM

4,929 posts, read 5,962,490 times
The first years of marriage can be very stressful so it might be wise to just let the relationship develop and strengthen. What would happen if one of you decided to go home but the other one didn't? If she doesn't have a job, what kind assistance would you give her until she gets back on her feet? I know this a little off base but having made several big moves, I know I can always find the grocery store or bank but one of you can't withstand the transition, it could be very painful for everyone. You should do well on $60,000 here but again, check out the stability of the company as everything is temporary in this area, especially employment. Don't worry so much about the housing as it too is only temporary. You can always move if you don't like where you are. Just enjoy the ride!

Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM

863 posts, read 1,584,660 times
Houston is SO much less expensive than here, I would hesitate to take a job, here, that pays less than in Houston. KWIM?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,674,151 times
If you're being paid more in Houston than you would be here, then stay. That's a no-brainer. Houston is so much cheaper it's not even funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose