Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 PM

10 posts, read 17,407 times

Advertisements

I don't believe we are your average couple thinking of relocating to Silicon Valley. We are in our 60's and retired, but want to get out of the East this winter and be near family who live in Santa Clara. We want to see if we like the area enough to eventually move there permanently. We don't like apartment living and don't want to rent in an apartment community. We have been checking Craig's List, but most home listing are for longer leases then three or four months. Can anyone recommend areas around Santa Clara that are more residential (homes rather than Apt. living) and on the outskirts of the business areas to rent for the winter while we are looking for a home or condo. And where should we look for a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 05:43 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
It would help if you could tell us some of your preferences and requirements.

Do you want to be in a town with a walkable downtown? What are your interests?

Do you have a budget or limit on what you want to spend?

How far away can you be from Santa Clara? Or do you want to be in Santa Clara itself?

These will help us steer or suggest areas to look for.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Your family in Santa Clara probably knows your situation better than strangers so consider their suggestions. I have also heard about a service called HomeMinders, as I recall. You agree to live in a home that is for sale and care for while the owners move on until the property is sold. You might be in for culture and price sticker shock moving East to West. There are many homes in Santa Clara. Los Altos, Palo Alto, Saratoga, and Las Gatos are nice communities to consider. Read about them at City-Data.com. San Jose Mercury News is our local paper which also has real estate listings.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
If you're interested in 55+ communities, there are ones I know of in San Mateo, San Jose 95135, and Watsonville. Of the three, San Mateo is likely the most interesting. If you're NOT looking for 55+, then we'll need more details as far as budget and what you want out of your new home.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:20 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
If I were a landlord (which I am not), I wouldn't want to incur the costs of renting to a short term renter only to have to incur them again 3 months later - which is why I would want a year lease at a minimum.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 10-31-2010 at 03:30 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 04:35 PM

369 posts, read 966,595 times
You might want to check out The Villages in East San Jose:

The Villages -- Home

Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 PM

My daughter just moved out to Santa Clara in August 2010 and doesn't know much about the area, therefore, she is not able to advise us. Are budget to rent is approximately $2,500.00/mo if furnished. Hate to rent and have to get furniture for three months. My husband is handicapped so our lifestyle is quite simple, that is why we would like to have a yard and some scenery and space to just be able to enjoy our home and it's grounds. We would have around $500,000 to spend to buy. We don't need anything big. 55+ community is okay.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:19 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
The budget for buying is a bit of a problem. At your age you don't want something that will need a lot of maintenance, or something that's too far from services... but townhouses are not ideal either because one of you is handicapped and you can't deal with stairs. I'd need to do some digging. Maybe something like this which is in Santa Clara, right across from Rivermark:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Clara.../home/12171053

Last edited by sonarrat; 11-02-2010 at 02:34 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 AM

Exactly as you stated. We have very unique problems and wants. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:56 PM

29 posts, read 65,824 times
Default A few housing suggestions...

Hi

Currently on Craigslist, there are several homes for rent in your price range, all of which have yards and are single story.
You might want to look under Campbell, San Jose West, Sunnyvale
in addition to Santa Clara, as they are all within easy driving of Santa Clara.

Most homes are unfurnished, however.

You may want to rent a "Residence Inn" room for a month or so, as they are furnished. That would give you the opportunity to have a look around to find the best location to rent before making any commitments. There are other long term hotel suites available in the area too.

Are you open to 55+ manufactured home complexes? If so, there are a few that are nice and this would give you a small yard. In addition, there are a few in Campbell area that are close to the Los Gatos creek trail, which has a long paved trail that is wheelchair accessible.

These are also close to several hospitals, grocery stores, movie theaters etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose