Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,687 times

Advertisements

What is the average salary of someone in Salinas California?
How do moderate family incomes survive in this high cost area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Try the search feature on the main City Data page. There are city profiles for all California cities, including median household income.

As far as how families afford to live in Salinas...the same could be asked for many of California's cities. There are lots of variables. Some people do have good incomes, some people have owned their home/property for many years, some people are very frugal, some just scrape by. Salinas isn't even close to being the most expensive place to live in CA and honestly isn't exactly the nicest place to live along the central coast.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordellnan9 View Post
What is the average salary of someone in Salinas California?
How do moderate family incomes survive in this high cost area?
The short answer is that people live with family members or have roommates. Some have incomes that would qualify them for home ownership elsewhere, but they have to rent apartments here.

Many native born Americans with kids leave the areas. Many of the people with kids are immigrants (legal and illegal). The legal immigrants tend to be ambitious and well educated, with good incomes. The illegal ones tend to not be well educated and have low incomes and live 10 people to a house. Of course, there are exceptions to these general rules, but I think you've got the idea.....You have to make major sacrifices in your housing expectations if you're going to live in California. The higher prevailing incomes don't make up for the much higher housing costs. And in some areas, like Salinas, the prevailing incomes aren't even higher than average.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:46 AM

147 posts, read 310,813 times
Live near Salinas. When I was there, they had a problems with gangs.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:57 PM

43 posts, read 196,587 times
THe south side and going towards Monterey are very nice areas. I have not seen or heard of many problems in this area since I have lived here about 6 months now. But yes in these areas it is also higher priced, but definately worth the costs. To survive in high cost area one must work and make above a certain amount or live with others to share costs. My husband makes good money, so I can stay home and take care of my children. He is the boss of a company, so this is how we make it. We don't buy the most expensive cars or buy the fanciest things. We go out on occasion to eat and sometimes eat cheap, but I would rather make food at home, since I know that's the healthiest.

I am not sure what the average salary of someone in Salinas is. But factoring in certain areas and many low paying jobs that certain people have in Salinas, I am sure that brings the average income down a lot. There are many areas with million dollar homes here and $500,000 + homes as well.

I would guess that if it was just one family, in order to survive the income would need to be $75000 and up, but that also depends on your rent or mortgage payment and car payment. If you have a lower rent and no car payment, I'm sure you would be okay with less than that.

I have heard of many crimes and problems on East side and once in a while on North. We stay away from East side, never go there and just go to North side during the day and everyone is nice and not many scary looking people in the areas I have went to. I love being so close to Monterey, go there all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose