Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:35 PM

32 posts, read 168,503 times

Advertisements

It's up to you. I'd tell him the name of the company and make clear that they are paying more, if true. That's about it though. That's the least you can do for your old coworkers .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Perhaps a slightly nicer way of saying it is "my new employer considers compensation to be company confidential, and I certainly don't want to get off on the wrong foot with them, as I'm sure you'd agree."
Less nice: "F You, you F'ing F!" You didn't want that gig, anyway.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
That information is none of their business. I have changed jobs several times in Silicon Valley and have never been asked any of those questions.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
That information is none of their business. I have changed jobs several times in Silicon Valley and have never been asked any of those questions.
Hi, I'm the OP. I originally put this question a couple years ago. I've since had a couple years of experience working here in the Valley, have changed jobs a few times:

The first time, they did ask me how much I was being offered at the new place because they wanted to counter it.

The second job was a startup that was basically in its dying throes, but they still had funding and still needed an ops person to take care of the equipment. In this case they didn't ask salary but they did want me to stay so they were open to providing more money if I had asked for it. They did ask the name of the new company, what type of business it was, where it was located and what my new job responsibilities would be. Those were my bosses asking and they were doing it because they truly were interested in helping my career growth.

The third time around they didn't care at all, didn't bother asking any questions.

Based on my experiences, I think 70% of the time they'll ask these questions based on pure curiosity. The IT world is pretty gossipy and here in the Valley it is surprisingly a small world. People know eachother in ways you wouldn't expect and gossip gets around.

If they like you (or desperately need you) then the other 30% of the time is definitely based on the negotiation factor. They're looking at your bottom line and their bottom line and seeing if they can make a match.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
and IME, sometimes they'll walk you out on the spot if they find out you're going to a competitor. It's best not to disclose.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
and IME, sometimes they'll walk you out on the spot if they find out you're going to a competitor. It's best not to disclose.
Well, that can be a good thing, if you can start at the new place immediately. If not (you'd rather remain employed for the next 2 weeks instead of leaving immediately) it would seem best to turn in a letter that says "I *will be* resigning my position in 2 weeks, on XX/YY/2013 and I am giving you notice of this" rather than "I am resigning *now* and will stay for 2 weeks". If they walk you out, it seems that they would owe you your salary in the first case, as *they* are firing *you* (IF they have a policy of giving at least 2 weeks severance to people they fire).

(Yes, I realize that this thread was dead for over 2 years ago before being resurrected BUT new, interesting info was added today - including from the OP.)

Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I usually just skirt around the question and don't give the employer I am leaving that information. The MOST information I would give them, would be the name of the company and new position, though that is optional.

If the relationship with my previous boss was positive, I would tell them "good luck" and state that it was a business decision to leave (better opportunity) and ask for the possibility of a reference in the future.

Don't burn bridges, the Valley is a small place.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Hi, I'm the OP. I originally put this question a couple years ago. I've since had a couple years of experience working here in the Valley, have changed jobs a few times:

The first time, they did ask me how much I was being offered at the new place because they wanted to counter it.

The second job was a startup that was basically in its dying throes, but they still had funding and still needed an ops person to take care of the equipment. In this case they didn't ask salary but they did want me to stay so they were open to providing more money if I had asked for it. They did ask the name of the new company, what type of business it was, where it was located and what my new job responsibilities would be. Those were my bosses asking and they were doing it because they truly were interested in helping my career growth.

The third time around they didn't care at all, didn't bother asking any questions.

Based on my experiences, I think 70% of the time they'll ask these questions based on pure curiosity. The IT world is pretty gossipy and here in the Valley it is surprisingly a small world. People know eachother in ways you wouldn't expect and gossip gets around.

If they like you (or desperately need you) then the other 30% of the time is definitely based on the negotiation factor. They're looking at your bottom line and their bottom line and seeing if they can make a match.
I am well aware of how small the IT world is in the valley. I spent several years in that world.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:50 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I am well aware of how small the IT world is in the valley. I spent several years in that world.
And, apparently, even more time spent resurrecting dead threads. Congrats.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Don't burn bridges, the Valley is a small place.
That term annoys me. (nothing against you, just the term). ... I've seen more bad behavior eminating at the 'top' than in the 'trenches'. Employees should always behave respectfully but yet management and executives can treat employees (and eachother) in any obnoxious way they see fit.

A double standard. not valid in my book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: