Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:10 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,944 times

Advertisements

Setsuko, check out Dt. San Jose before you start blogging on. I mean that Dt. San Jose is literally better than Manhattan since Manhattan is overrated in just about everything. Everything is better and closer in Downtown San Jose, and Downtown SJ single handedly better than Manhattan. I meant the food, architectures, amenities, library and just about every city functions. I have a long history with Manhattan, and I know it thoroughly! I know San Jose thoroughly and talked to many people from both communities of all kinds. I know what I'm talking about. Most naysayers in this blog are ignorant and never been to both cities as I have. Clubmed, have fun in San Jose and have a nice commute to SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM

277 posts, read 379,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Setsuko, check out Dt. San Jose before you start blogging on. I mean that Dt. San Jose is literally better than Manhattan since Manhattan is overrated in just about everything. Everything is better and closer in Downtown San Jose, and Downtown SJ single handedly better than Manhattan. I meant the food, architectures, amenities, library and just about every city functions. I have a long history with Manhattan, and I know it thoroughly! I know San Jose thoroughly and talked to many people from both communities of all kinds. I know what I'm talking about. Most naysayers in this blog are ignorant and never been to both cities as I have. Clubmed, have fun in San Jose and have a nice commute to SF.
This is complete nonsense and you must be doing this to get a rise out of the board.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
How about Santa Cruz?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 AM

Santa Cruz is another cool spot especially downtown. Pacific Ave is a nice shopping/dining strolling area.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 AM

setsuko, you're nonsense since Dt. San Jose is that great and fun. It's better than New York as quoted by New Yorkers, no kidding! Don't blame me for this. Blame the Manhattanites for this interesting comments. They think Dt. San Jose is better than Manhattan, and there's nothing in New York for San Joseans. Check out Downtown San Jo!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:30 AM

11 posts, read 32,694 times
I don't think this is worth quarreling over. NYC has its place, as does San Jose & SF. NYC is open 24 hours a day. But realistically, living in Queens (one of the 5 boroughs), one tends to work in Manhattan and then go home and live in a more suburban place. With kids, having access to kid-friendly events & places is vital (i.e. local Parks/playgrounds where parents can meet; kid-friendly NY Hall of Science Museum(s); Plays; Musical events; organized athletic teams for kids; swimming centers as well as being able to walk to stores; Detached homes with some grass and real SIDEWALKS ! where people can walk on). We always talk about having Manhattan as a great benefit, but we don't go often as time is eaten up by the aforementioned activities. That is what we would be looking for in SJ. At this point, I think the far outer-suburbs of San Francisco might be best. Somewhere where I can take the BART or be on a 1hour - 1:15 min commute. Any recommendations ?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
I'm probably one of the first people on this board to defend San Jose, because I do feel that most of the criticism directed toward it is not based on reality and many people on the CA forums really don't know much about the city.

However...comparing SJ to Manhattan???? Pleeeeeease! Personally, I have no desire to live in Manhattan since I don't prefer such congested urban living and it's just not for me. I do like downtown SJ, but comparing it to Manhattan? That's absurd. It's like comparing Santa Cruz to Livermore. They're both nice in different ways, but offer completely different lifestyles and attract different types of people.

There's nothing even remotely similar between Manhattan and San Jose. They're completely different in every way. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:44 AM

277 posts, read 379,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
setsuko, you're nonsense since Dt. San Jose is that great and fun. It's better than New York as quoted by New Yorkers, no kidding! Don't blame me for this. Blame the Manhattanites for this interesting comments. They think Dt. San Jose is better than Manhattan, and there's nothing in New York for San Joseans. Check out Downtown San Jo!
Here's an Idea go post this on the New York board and lets watch the responses. Should be good, there is no way you've been to Manhattan to even make such an odd, off base and ridiculous comparison. New york City is known for it's arts, food, and culture. I have no problem with San Jose but it doesn't even compare to San Francisco in that arena.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
You guys look foolish for even debating with durf at this point. He's trolling you hard.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:29 AM

Clubmed, you're going to love Dt. San Jose, especially if you have kids because Dt. San Jose has the Technology museum(Tech) and the children museum in just 2 blocks from each other. The Museum of Arts is across the street from the Tech museum. Downtown SJ has excellent walking prominade across the way from these museums called Paseo De San Antonio Plaza with cafes, Bijan bakery, Taste of Paris cafe, Fairmont Hotel, Camera 12 cinema and the Rep theater. Don't forget SoFa arts and enternment/restaurants district. Downtown San Jose also has San Pedro restaurant/pub row district. In the spring, check out the Market Place at San Pedro with fresh produces, hot food stalls, specialty shops and a cool rooftop coffee place called Barefoot Coffee. Downtown SJ also has cool parks like Guadalupe River Park that's almost 3 miles long with cool trails, picnic sites and orchards. Does that sound cool or what?! There's so much in Dt. San Jo that I didn't go over, and it's all in 7 block area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose